British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help....Which Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-visa-783088/)

clarabella36 Jan 9th 2013 8:33 am

Help....Which Visa?

Hi, new to this site :) Me and my husband and 3 children have been planning on moving to Oz for what seems like forever.. Finally got our act together to start the ball rolling only to find that the working holiday visa doesnt apply to over 30's! (wanted to send hubby on his own to secure job, look at schools etc then move rest of fam over) and so been looking at other options. Skill select is looking like what we need to do but is there any other visas that anyone knows of which would make the process quicker & cheaper?
My hubby is a skilled joiner.
Do you think it would be wise to maybe get a tourist visa in hope that he could find an employer who is willing to sponsor and then apply for a visa whilst in Oz? Does that even make sence? ... Lots of questions I know! sorry hope there is someone that could answer :D

Bermudashorts Jan 9th 2013 9:45 am

Re: Help....Which Visa?

Welcome to BE.

Oh dear, you have been planning for a while and then found out that WHV is for under 30s. Definitely some flawed planning unfortuantely then :p

The migration process is generally not quick and easy and definitely the quickest and easiest visa is not the same thing as the best visa. Is there a particular reason for the rush now after all this thinking about it? There are no cheap PR visas.

As a joiner your husband qualifies for skilled migration as you have identifed. The skilled migrant visa is not one of the quickest visas to get, but it is a great visa for any family wanting to emmigrate to Australia. I think you were correct when you said this is probably the way to go.

Personally, I do not think it is at all wise to get a tourist visa and try to find a sponsor. To me this is a last resort and there is no reason whatsoever why it should be a last resort for you. Also it is rare indeed for tradies to get sponsored.

newjersey Jan 9th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10473133)
Welcome to BE.

Personally, I do not think it is at all wise to get a tourist visa and try to find a sponsor. .........

Just to add that it would be in breach of being a "genuine visitor" requirement. Plus, provided the sponsor is found, the OP would almost certainly have to leave the country while the subsequent visa is processed, an additional and quite high cost involved.

clarabella36 Jan 9th 2013 12:20 pm

Yes, poor lack of research on my part, guess it was more talk than action.
There isnt any rush as such just an eagerness to get out of this country and make a new life in a country we've always dreamed of..
Trades dont have much look with sponsors then??
and newjersey yes I agree, we was just open to ideas and other ways around the long process of the skill select thats just come into force..
Thankyou both for your information :)

Bermudashorts Jan 9th 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by clarabella36 (Post 10473402)
There isnt any rush as such just an eagerness to get out of this country and make a new life in a country we've always dreamed of..
and newjersey yes I agree, we was just open to ideas and other ways around the long process of the skill select thats just come into force..

Do it properly, the best things are worth waiting for. Australia is not going anywhere.

Dorothy Jan 9th 2013 10:31 pm

Why the eagerness to "get out of this country and make a new life in a country we've always dreamed of"? Australia is just another first world country with all the same problems as any other first world country. We have crime, crap weather, unruly teenagers, immigrants, we all have to get up in the morning to go to work to pay the bills and all the other things you have in UK.

TeeTMI Jan 10th 2013 1:49 am

You can try looking for a sponsor - have a look at seek.com.au but employers, unless they cannot find anyone here, are often difficult to find.
Employer sponsors often opt for a temporary visa rather than straight to a permanent visa which some people find lacks security.

clarabella36 Jan 10th 2013 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10474294)
Why the eagerness to "get out of this country and make a new life in a country we've always dreamed of"? Australia is just another first world country with all the same problems as any other first world country. We have crime, crap weather, unruly teenagers, immigrants, we all have to get up in the morning to go to work to pay the bills and all the other things you have in UK.

Crap weather? you clearly havent indulged in Mancheser weathers!..
Its a little more personal as to why we are eager... its not just about this particular country but thanks for your lovely insight of Australia

Pollyana Jan 10th 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by clarabella36 (Post 10474744)
Its a little more personal as to why we are eager... its not just about this particular country but thanks for your lovely insight of Australia

Define Crap Weather............endless days when its too hot to leave the house and you definitely wouldn't let the kids play outside? Months and months of longing for rain......and then you get the floods.......3/4 of Queensland was flooded in 2011 including areas of Brisbane, cyclones are a regular event......

Have a read of some of the lifestyle threads in the main forum here, it'll give you an idea of the similarities and the differences :)

Bermudashorts Jan 10th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by clarabella36 (Post 10474744)

Well I was born and bred in Manchester. The weather in Australia is brutal compared to Manchester. I swear during my first two years in Australia I saw more rain than I had over my entire childhood in Manchester put together. And two nights ago it was still 39 deg at midnight - it isn't fun and it isn't nice. There is nothing wrong with trying to keep some realism.

lesleys Jan 10th 2013 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10474917)
Well I was born and bred in Manchester. The weather in Australia is brutal compared to Manchester.

+1. We had 670mm of rain last January here. UK is complaining about the wettest year on record - at just over 1000mm for the whole year.

Briar Jan 10th 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10474294)

Agree but do not understand why their life will be easier in Oz. We face the same issues, everyday, and just because the sun shines some days, doesnt make it perfect. Apart from the latest bush fires, there are cyclones to contend with too.... east or west coast, they still happen. The days of coming into Perth and moving into a "perfect life" does not happen any more. Well unless you have that silver thing hanging out your mouth.... cos then family contacts will get you anything if you are in the right "level".