Help with student visa

Old Mar 1st 2023, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

TOM_1900 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with student visa

That sounds amazing and that is what drives me too. but in Australia it's super complicated because I can't work without some kind of visa.. I really wish I could, it would make things much easier and I'll be on the first flight to Melbourne tomorrow.

It seems that the only option currently for me to work in Australia is to study. If you have any creative ideas I'll be happy to hear.

Before all of that I've checked if 3 years practical experience can help with coming for work - and I understand that it isn't. I even willing to volunteer for Allowance in the first months.

Last edited by TOM_1900; Mar 1st 2023 at 6:16 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi and welcome to BE.

If you haven't seen it already, this Home Affairs link gives you all the information you need re. a student visa

To be eligible to apply for a student visa, you'll need to provide proof that you've enrolled in a full-time course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of institutions and courses for overseas students So this is where you'll look for courses that will meet the student visa criteria.

I did:

1- Counselling - diploma and above.

2. Community service - Certificate 3 and above.

3.Youth worker - Certificate 4 and up.

from what i've seen and the number of institutes available and jops options - seems like Community service is the most common and "easy" course to start/find.

My favorite/suits me the most, is definitely counseling but it seems like it's really not simple to find a place for international students for some reason.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOM_1900
I did:

1- Counselling - diploma and above.

2. Community service - Certificate 3 and above.

3.Youth worker - Certificate 4 and up.

from what i've seen and the number of institutes available and jops options - seems like Community service is the most common and "easy" course to start/find.

My favorite/suits me the most, is definitely counseling but it seems like it's really not simple to find a place for international students for some reason.
Counselling probably isnt worth your time. Counsellors are very much poor relations, the expectation is that you will have a psychology degree if you are going to venture into that field of work and expect to get a visa out of it. Counsellors are poorly regulated and anyone can set themselves up with a private practice but practice indemnity is difficult and not supported through medicare. NGOs do take on relatively untrained personnel in these roles but I wouldnt think a newly trained, inexperienced person would be a good candidate for a visa. Perhaps you need to look at studying psychology in your home country(s), it'd be a lot cheaper and it may set you up for a visa in the longer term. Student visas are for full time study so you are going to have to come to terms with studying in the day time - perhaps seek support for your sleep disorder if that is hindering you as it will certainly hinder you in the workplace eventually. You do realise that students are supposed to go home once they've finished studying?
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the detailed answer.

like I've said before- if I had the ability to do a degree - I would have done that for free, years ago, in Israel or in Europe.

But I have limitations I can't unfortunately break even though I've tried for about 15 years.

1. Severe DSPS - sleep disorder - I can't live in the mornings.

2. Dyscalculia - I can't learn math and statistics.

I want to study something that allows me to work and treat people in Australia, not a degree and not in the mornings. Are there any ideas and solutions?

I know I won't give up and I'll try every idea on earth until I find a solution.

In Israel it was super hard either, but I'm now working 3 years as a rehabilitation instructor (it's true that no education is needed here). I know I love and am good at this field of treatment, I just need to find a breach in order to upgrade and do that in Australia.
Old Mar 3rd 2023, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly no expert but would say you'd be looking under Unit Group Counsellors, specifically 272114 REHABILITATION COUNSELLOR
  • Assists physically, mentally and socially disadvantaged people to reintegrate into work and the community.Skill Level: 1
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs%...2?opendocument
So with no formal qualifications you'll need a fair few years experience behind you, probs more than 3 but it doesn't give a number required. Surely your medical issues will be an issue on the visa medical exam and also discussing all that with an employer (as in needing to start work after 3pm onwards plus youll need a job offer before gaining the required points for the visa). Good luck, seems very unlikely to me but luckily I'm not the one with the rubber stamp!
Old Mar 3rd 2023, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
I'm certainly no expert but would say you'd be looking under Unit Group Counsellors, specifically 272114 REHABILITATION COUNSELLOR
  • Assists physically, mentally and socially disadvantaged people to reintegrate into work and the community.Skill Level: 1

So with no formal qualifications you'll need a fair few years experience behind you, probs more than 3 but it doesn't give a number required. Surely your medical issues will be an issue on the visa medical exam and also discussing all that with an employer (as in needing to start work after 3pm onwards plus youll need a job offer before gaining the required points for the visa). Good luck, seems very unlikely to me but luckily I'm not the one with the rubber stamp!
Thank you.

Actually I saw this before, but I don't want to study or work anymore in rehabilitation. This job consumes me and there's not enough therapy work in it, it's really sisyphean and I'm really fed up with it. That is what I want to learn and upgrade.
Old Mar 3rd 2023, 9:51 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Actually I saw this before, but I don't want to study or work anymore in rehabilitation. This job consumes me and there's not enough therapy work in it, it's really sisyphean and I'm really fed up with it. That is what I want to learn and upgrade.
I think you may need to re-evaluate what your end goal is, and how you deal with your health / disability issues.

The link provided earlier in the thread by Spouse of Scouse will enable you to search for all courses that would enable you to apply for a student visa.

If you are saying these are not suitable because of your health / disability issues, and you are not going to attempt to work out how to make it work for you (split sleeping, forced change of sleep patterns, support for dyscalculia, etc) then you need to accept that studying in Australia is not going to happen.

I'm not trying to say that your issues are not real, nor that they do not have a major impact on you, just that if your long term goal is to study in Australia, and potentially work in Australia, then you may need to accept that you will need to work out how you do that without letting your disabilities stop you.

It is also possible that once you decide on what you want to study, and where, you may find that you can work with the course provider to find a schedule that works for you (or is at least more manageable).

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 3rd 2023 at 9:58 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2023, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think you may need to re-evaluate what your end goal is, and how you deal with your health / disability issues.

The link provided earlier in the thread by Spouse of Scouse will enable you to search for all courses that would enable you to apply for a student visa.

If you are saying these are not suitable because of your health / disability issues, and you are not going to attempt to work out how to make it work for you (split sleeping, forced change of sleep patterns, support for dyscalculia, etc) then you need to accept that studying in Australia is not going to happen.

I'm not trying to say that your issues are not real, nor that they do not have a major impact on you, just that if your long term goal is to study in Australia, and potentially work in Australia, then you may need to accept that you will need to work out how you do that without letting your disabilities stop you.

It is also possible that once you decide on what you want to study, and where, you may find that you can work with the course provider to find a schedule that works for you (or is at least more manageable).

Yes, actually in the last few days i'm starting to realize that. It's not easy for me, but it's starting to sink in. I'm trying to work on plan F now.. I understand the only country on earth I would probably study with all my issues is the US.

I've started my research on this lead. Hopefully it'll work out and maybe I can arrive in the future to Australia with education. I'm not totally giving up just yet.

Old Mar 3rd 2023, 11:14 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, actually in the last few days i'm starting to realize that. It's not easy for me, but it's starting to sink in. I'm trying to work on plan F now.. I understand the only country on earth I would probably study with all my issues is the US.

I've started my research on this lead. Hopefully it'll work out and maybe I can arrive in the future to Australia with education. I'm not totally giving up just yet.
Is there nothing you can do where you are - open university?
Old Mar 4th 2023, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

like i've said - unfortunately, no. There isn't even 1 institute in Israel that is totally suitable for people with health issues / learning disabilities.

I've googled it, it seems that the US is literally filled with this kind of special institutes, some are for free.

And I thought Australia is less capitalistic than the US...
Old Mar 4th 2023, 12:55 am

like i've said - unfortunately, no. There isn't even 1 institute in Israel that is totally suitable for people with health issues / learning disabilities.

I've googled it, it seems that the US is literally filled with this kind of special institutes, some are for free.

And I thought Australia is less capitalistic than the US...
Open university exists in the UK, and Australia - nothing to stop you being an international student with either.

Not sure if free in the US would extend to international students - nor if the would be eligible for a student visa. There is a US forum section though - https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ The folks there may be able to help
Old Mar 4th 2023, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Open university exists in the UK, and Australia - nothing to stop you being an international student with either.

Not sure if free in the US would extend to international students - nor if the would be eligible for a student visa. There is a US forum section though - https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ The folks there may be able to help
I personally didn't see (of course I probably didn't see them all) an education institution that meant for people with disabilities.

Thanks ! That is very helpful.
Old Mar 18th 2023, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi dear friends,

Just giving an update - my luck is that I'm never giving up on achieving my goals. I'm in the process of looking for a place to study in London/US /Australia, and for now. I've managed to find an evening uni, also for internationals with student visas! it's called - Birkbeck.
I've probably managed to find more institutes that are similar to this in my 3 preferred countries - UK, Australia and US.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.