British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help with student visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-student-visa-947245/)

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 1:15 am

Help with student visa

Hi mates, nice to be here :regular_smile:

I'm researching about a student visa, I'm a bit confused right now so I'll be happy to get your help.

I come with a 3 years practical experience in my country as a youth and rehabilitation counselor, no formal education. only 12 years of high school.

I did a search on the official skilled occupation list and I've founds some diplomas/certificates I'm interested in:

1.Counsellors.

2. community services.

3. Family Support Worker.

4. Youth Worker.

My main goal is eventually to treat people 1 on 1, individually.

Now, I understand there are levels of certificates and diplomas and that's really got me confused.

I'm trying to understand which certificate/diploma I need to work in Australia and find a Job in treatment in one of one of these fields.

Secondly, I saw that these courses are mainly not open to international students and that they only occur in the mornings, because international students can't study part time. Is there any chance to find evening full time studies in the country?

Thank you very much !

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 1:34 am

Re: Help with student visa

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176332)
Hi mates, nice to be here :regular_smile:

I'm researching about a student visa, I'm a bit confused right now so I'll be happy to get your help.

I come with a 3 years practical experience in my country as a youth and rehabilitation counselor, no formal education. only 12 years of high school.

I did a search on the official skilled occupation list and I've founds some diplomas/certificates I'm interested in:

1.Counsellors.

2. community services.

3. Family Support Worker.

4. Youth Worker.

My main goal is eventually to treat people 1 on 1, individually.

Now, I understand there are levels of certificates and diplomas and that's really got me confused.

I'm trying to understand which certificate/diploma I need to work in Australia and find a Job in treatment in one of one of these fields.

Secondly, I saw that these courses are mainly not open to international students and that they only occur in the mornings, because international students can't study part time. Is there any chance to find evening full time studies in the country?

Thank you very much !

Hi and welcome to BE.

If you haven't seen it already, this Home Affairs link gives you all the information you need re. a student visa
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-500#Overview

To be eligible to apply for a student visa, you'll need to provide proof that you've enrolled in a full-time course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of institutions and courses for overseas students https://cricos.education.gov.au/ So this is where you'll look for courses that will meet the student visa criteria.

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 2:59 am

Thank you for that.

it's still doesn't answer my questions :

1- it says a minimum 3 month course. It doesn't say how many hours per week.

2- If im getting this right - they don't care which level of course is that? no matter if it's a level 1 certificate or a doctorate? because I do understand from people that there's no way ro stay and work later on with another visa if it's not like a minimum diploma and more.

3 - So far I haven't found even 1 institute that offers an evening course full time and i've searched the whole country, do you have some info on that? Does it even exist in Australia for international students?

Thanks.

Pollyana Mar 1st 2023 3:12 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176344)
Thank you for that.

2- If im getting this right - they don't care which level of course is that? no matter if it's a level 1 certificate or a doctorate? because I do understand from people that there's no way ro stay and work later on with another visa if it's not like a minimum diploma and more.

3 - So far I haven't found even 1 institute that offers an evening course full time and i've searched the whole country, do you have some info on that? Does it even exist in Australia for international students?

Thanks.

An evening course can’t be full time, by definition it is only evenings, so part time. A full time course involves all day study.

Your best bet would be a consultation with a registered migration agent, NOT just an agency set up to find student placements, you need someone qualified in visa rules and regs.
This will almost certainly cost you money, but you need to realise that studying in Australia is very expensive - course costs, accommodation, living expenses, and you will have limited working rights.

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 4:48 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176344)
Thank you for that.

Thanks.

You're putting the cart before the horse. A student visa is solely for studying an approved course in Australia - what level of qualification you might need to apply for a work visa down the track doesn't come into this process.

Did you search for qualifying courses on the second link I provided? For example, I did a search for qualifying courses in New South Wales in Youth Work. No certificate 1, 2 or 3 courses are offered. There's a certificate 4 available at 3 institutions, length of course ranges between 52 - 74 weeks. All have a work experience component as part of the course, which means that to pass the course you need to work under supervision in order to gain the necessary experience. This work is unpaid. The course fees range between $12,000 - $18,000, and then you'd have your housing and living expenses on top of that. The covid-related increase of work hours allowed for students was 40 hours per week, but is going back to 20 hours a week.

Regarding working in Australia when your course has finished, you'd need to apply for a skilled occupation visa. Search the relevent Skilled Occupation Lists and if you find your occupation on the list (for example, Youth Worker), then research that occupation to see if you could pass the skills/qualifications assessment. What level of qualification is required varies greatly depending on the occupation, and whether the Skilled Occupation is on the long, medium or short term visa list. Not all work visas offer permanent residency.

I agree with Pollyanna that a consultation with a registered migration agent would be the best way forward for you. They will take into account all your personal circumstances and be able to advise you accordingly.

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13176345)
An evening course can’t be full time, by definition it is only evenings, so part time. A full time course involves all day study.

Your best bet would be a consultation with a registered migration agent, NOT just an agency set up to find student placements, you need someone qualified in visa rules and regs.
This will almost certainly cost you money, but you need to realise that studying in Australia is very expensive - course costs, accommodation, living expenses, and you will have limited working rights.

Yes I know and understand that and I already found a good agent a year ago and started to save money. The thing is that the service cost 1200 $. And without knowing first if it's even a possibility to study in the evenings - i wont apply for a visa and of course pay his commission.

The main issue remains one- not the costs and other aspects, but the simple issue I need to solve- if there's even a possibility somewhere to study one of these courses in the evening. if not - i'll need to give up on the Australian dream (Maybe try the same thing in the UK?). I have severe sleep disorder and functioning before 3PM is unfortenotly not relevet for me.

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 8:03 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13176352)
You're putting the cart before the horse. A student visa is solely for studying an approved course in Australia - what level of qualification you might need to apply for a work visa down the track doesn't come into this process.

Did you search for qualifying courses on the second link I provided? For example, I did a search for qualifying courses in New South Wales in Youth Work. No certificate 1, 2 or 3 courses are offered. There's a certificate 4 available at 3 institutions, length of course ranges between 52 - 74 weeks. All have a work experience component as part of the course, which means that to pass the course you need to work under supervision in order to gain the necessary experience. This work is unpaid. The course fees range between $12,000 - $18,000, and then you'd have your housing and living expenses on top of that. The covid-related increase of work hours allowed for students was 40 hours per week, but is going back to 20 hours a week.

Regarding working in Australia when your course has finished, you'd need to apply for a skilled occupation visa. Search the relevent Skilled Occupation Lists and if you find your occupation on the list (for example, Youth Worker), then research that occupation to see if you could pass the skills/qualifications assessment. What level of qualification is required varies greatly depending on the occupation, and whether the Skilled Occupation is on the long, medium or short term visa list. Not all work visas offer permanent residency.

I agree with Pollyanna that a consultation with a registered migration agent would be the best way forward for you. They will take into account all your personal circumstances and be able to advise you accordingly.

Thank you for that. I really need to solve the evening classes problem first, only after that I can proceed.

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 9:27 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176405)
Thank you for that. I really need to solve the evening classes problem first, only after that I can proceed.

I don't want to sound doomy and gloomy Tom, but you're not going to get a student visa for Australia with an evening classes course.

Is the work/holiday visa an option for you? Age limit is 18 - 30 years old if you're a UK citizen, 18 - 35 if a ROI citizen. It's not a student visa, it's designed for young people to be able to have a holiday in Australia and allows them to work to help pay for it. But if I remember correctly it allows study of up to four months. The visa is for one year, but if you meet certain requirements you can get a 2nd and then a 3rd year. The visa fees are dead cheap compared with most others too.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...y-417#Overview

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 9:36 am

Its super hard for me to hear. I really thought there’s a good chance to find at least 1 institution that offers that. It’s huge country.

Yes, the working holiday visa was my first and preferred option, it was declined because I don’t have a full GED.

Maybe In the UK it’s possible to achieve my dream? I like this country also. And then when I finish studying, I can use it to work In Australia?

(I’m EU and Israeli citizen)

christmasoompa Mar 1st 2023 9:47 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176429)
Its super hard for me to hear. I really thought there’s a good chance to find at least 1 institution that offers that. It’s huge country.

I think you're misunderstanding what Spouse of Scouse is saying - there will be evening courses, but she's saying you can't get a visa for an evening course, it would need to be a full-time course.

If you're an EU citizen then could you maybe finish your education in the EU and then apply for a working holiday visa for Oz?

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 9:50 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176429)

Yes, the working holiday visa was my first and preferred option, it was declined because I don’t have a full GED.

Maybe In the UK it’s possible to achieve my dream? I like this country also. And then when I finish studying, I can use it to work In Australia?

(I’m EU and Israeli citizen)

I hate being the one to disappoint you Tom, sorry.
The thing that you're not going to be able to get around is that evening courses are always classed as part-time study, so this type of course would not be approved for a student visa.

My apologies, I assumed you were from the UK which is why I provided the link to the 417 working holiday visa. As you've obviously found out for yourself, an Israeli citizen would need a 462 work holiday visa, and the criteria for that includes attaining a certain level of education plus there's a military service criteria.

Which EU country do you derive your EU citizenship from? Citizens of many EU countries are eligible to apply for the 417 working holiday visa.

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 9:57 am

My situation is complex and a bit unlucky.

Supposedly - I can get free education, even a degree in EU countries and in Israel, but for starters I'm in this position because I have sleep disorder and dyscalculia, that is why I only have half GED and i didnt do a bachelor degree in Israel, years ago.

Now, at 32, I'm trying to find a creative global solution to my unique condition.

Portuguese passport.

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 10:11 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176436)
My situation is complex and a bit unlucky.

Supposedly - I can get free education, even a degree in EU countries and in Israel, but for starters I'm in this position because I have sleep disorder and dyscalculia, that is why I only have half GED and i didnt do a bachelor degree in Israel, years ago.

Now, at 32, I'm trying to find a creative global solution to my unique condition.

Portuguese passport.

Ah ok, you'd have already learned that citizens of Portugal need the 462 work holiday visa, and that comes with education level requirements.

I think it's great that you're trying to improve your life and your future. You sound very courageous and determined! I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice, as I don't know much about the migration requirements of other countries.

You've successfully worked in the youth/rehabilitation field already, maybe you could build on that experience where you're living now and progress that way?

TOM_1900 Mar 1st 2023 10:39 am

Thank you for that kind words.

Unfortunately, in Israel there ain't such thing as certificates or diplomas in these fields. In order to get a license and treat people you need a master in social work or psychology.

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2023 11:13 am

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13176452)
Thank you for that kind words.

Unfortunately, in Israel there ain't such thing as certificates or diplomas in these fields. In order to get a license and treat people you need a master in social work or psychology.

Are there other ways aside from social work/counselling that you could work with and help young people/communities?

I don't know how this works in Israel or Portugal, but in Australia my last job was managing a team of 200 people in the community services fields. I had youth workers, disability support workers, community development workers, people who provided activities for children, community safety officers - very few of them had a degree. What they all had was a passion to improve the lives of others, and the personal values to back that up.