British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help - so confused, too many options! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-so-confused-too-many-options-523647/)

Swins Mar 22nd 2008 6:55 pm

Help - so confused, too many options!

OK, I've spent ALL DAY trying to get our visa forms sorted and am slowly having a meltdown trying to work out all of the options and which is the best way to go. I will try to be brief and apologise if it just seems like the ramblings of a mad man (Because it pretty much is!)

OK, brief details. Me, Wife and 2 years old applying on GSM 175 visa.

Me - Engineer, completed skills assessment - 60 points
28 years old - 30 points
British Passport for language - 15
Specific Work experience - 10
Total 115.

Wife - Physiotherapist - skills not assessed but Australian registered already - 60 points
Occupation in demand - 15
34 years old - 25 points
Italian passport so needs IELTS test - should get 15 points
Specific work experience - 10
Total 125.

Plus we both could get 5 extra points for partner skills.

The issues are the following;

If we apply and put her on I am led to believe that she will be choosen for the points score as she has more and she is on the MODL list, which apparently makes a difference too. Could this make her become the main applicant? If so, does this mean she would have to work or do they not care if you work or not on a 175 with MODL?
The plan is that she won't be working as she will be looking after the kid(s).

If I do an IELTS tests I will get 25 points (i hope!!!) so would have enough points in total not to need to use her partner points, so she doesn't need to get any assessments done, etc. That is if I am allowed to do that?

Therefore, does it make ANY difference to the application if one or both of you show you meet the crtieria, or is it simply as long as the main applicant gets 120 points or more that the rest of the family can come along anyway.

I hope this makes some sense, please let me know if you need clarification/extra info, I just so want to get this right first time and not find we are stuck once we get to Oz and if my wife doesn't have to do a skills assessment/IELTS test it will be much easier.

Thanks for any help.

funkydelia Mar 22nd 2008 9:32 pm

Re: Help - so confused, too many options!

My situation is similar to yours in that I'm the main applicant and we have similar points scores. My husband is the secondary applicant.

I get 60 points for occupation and 30 for age but as I don't have quite enough work experience I sat the IELTS test which will get me 25 points. This left us 5 points short so we got his skills assessed and now reach 120!

It only needs the main applicant to meet the criteria. If the secondary applicant doesn't hold a UK/AU/NZ etc passport I think they have to sit IELTs too but this wouldn't apply to you.

Someone more knowledgable will correct any mistakes I have made here!!! This is our experience though.

louie Mar 22nd 2008 10:20 pm

I would say the most straightforward path for you to follow would be for you to sit IELTS for the extra points.

Your wife would either have to sit IELTS (though she would need a lower score than you) or demonstrate she had been educated in English - see http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm.

Swins Mar 22nd 2008 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 6098261)
I would say the most straightforward path for you to follow would be for you to sit IELTS for the extra points.

Your wife would either have to sit IELTS (though she would need a lower score than you) or demonstrate she had been educated in English - see http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm.

Thankfully, although she has an Italian passport, she was bought up in Zimbabwe, speaking English, then came to the UK and studied here at Uni and has worked here ever since, so she has plenty to prove her English. Its just ironic that she only speaks English and was only educated in English, yet still has to sit a test to prove she can use it!!!

If it seems like a sensible option then I think I'll go do the test and hope for the best. It also means much less paper work to be done...

Pollyana Mar 23rd 2008 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Swins (Post 6097701)
If so, does this mean she would have to work or do they not care if you work or not on a 175 with MODL?
The plan is that she won't be working as she will be looking after the kid(s).

Once the 175 is granted both of you are free to work or not as they please, and in whatever occupation you wish.

JAJ Mar 23rd 2008 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Swins (Post 6098340)
Thankfully, although she has an Italian passport, she was bought up in Zimbabwe, speaking English, then came to the UK and studied here at Uni and has worked here ever since, so she has plenty to prove her English. Its just ironic that she only speaks English and was only educated in English, yet still has to sit a test to prove she can use it!!!

If it seems like a sensible option then I think I'll go do the test and hope for the best. It also means much less paper work to be done...

Have she thought about becoming a British citizen?

Swins Mar 23rd 2008 9:55 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6098906)
Have she thought about becoming a British citizen?

I have thought about this, but it costs over £600 and takes 14 weeks to get it sorted. As she already has an EU passport it just doesn't seem worth it. Lets just hope I can get a 7 on all sections of the IELTS!

JAJ Mar 23rd 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Swins (Post 6099573)
I have thought about this, but it costs over £600 and takes 14 weeks to get it sorted. As she already has an EU passport it just doesn't seem worth it. Lets just hope I can get a 7 on all sections of the IELTS!

Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that her EU passport will let her live in the United Kingdom in future.

Rules and circumstances can change, often radically, in ways that are not foreseen.

In the overall scheme of things, it would seem foolish for her to pass up the chance of having a British passport as well, especially as she would be allowed to keep her Italian citizenship.

louie Mar 23rd 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Swins (Post 6098340)

If she has an English degree, she won't need to sit the IELTS test, as it explains on the link I posted earlier.

JAJ Mar 23rd 2008 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 6101221)
If she has an English degree, she won't need to sit the IELTS test, as it explains on the link I posted earlier.

In fact, the link makes it very clear she does need to do IELTS unless she obtains a British passport.

Unless she is going to be a secondary applicant, and not contribute any points to the application.

louie Mar 23rd 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6101246)
In fact, the link makes it very clear she does need to do IELTS unless she obtains a British passport.

Unless she is going to be a secondary applicant, and not contribute any points to the application.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was assuming that the OP would sit IELTS to get the points he needs (which is what appears to be the easiest route for him to me as it would save his wife having to do both IELTS and get her skills assessed), in which case his wife would be the secondary applicant and would not be contributing any points.

Swins Mar 24th 2008 12:04 am

Thank you all,

I think that this has cleared things up in my mind. No one seemed to suggest it was going to make any difference to the application or that it was a stupid idea. Just need to get myself booked on an IELTS test and hope I get 7. I assume it won't be that hard to get!!!

newjersey Mar 24th 2008 8:08 am

7s are not hard to get, that is if you get some prep work done. Seems to be the most effective way as of late.
NJ