Wikiposts

help with pre migration skills (fitter)

Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:43 am
Just Joined

jumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nice
Default help with pre migration skills (fitter)

hi just got the form from the tra and finding it daunting.could use a few pointers from anyone whos been thru this stage before.

when it comes to the formal training section am i right in thinking this is any college work i did during my apprenticeship? if so i gained a city and guilds so is this the controlling authority?and how do you find out course hours and so on?also years after coming out of my time i went back to college and got my onc and hnc so do these count in the formal training section too? or would they fall into the other vocational training section?
and while i m here in the relevant work experience section it states "actual duties or tasks over what period and how often performed each task or duty" well i work for a massive company as a maintenance fitter with thousands of different peices of kit,some of which i have only worked on once over the last 18 years others all the time but no two days are the same in this job . there must be a format that they are looking for and i just want to get it right first time.anybody any tips what they want.

sorry to be a pain in the ass but its very confusing and i think i have a fairly straightforward case!

many thanks jim
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

pepsiuk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: help with pre migration skills (fitter)

Bump -
Hi Jim just bumping this up for you. We are just filling in the TRA too and would like to know if we are doing it right lol. Im sure the formal training is what you did at college... my OH is city and guilds also (Fabricator).
Im sure someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly
Good luck
Tommy & Andrea
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

ballesteros is on a distinguished road

Hi

I passed my Fitters TRA prior to Xmas, therefore this information is based on my successful application.

Yes, formal training is your college work.

Yes, City & Guilds is the controlling Authority. (if like me, I listed my 1st C&G within question 3, with all the following C&G/BTEC's on a seperate sheet, so controlling authority not listed on those).

Course hours, I did day release, so for me it was 10 hours per week for each year.
On my service statement I showed calculations to give a total hours of college work over my full apprenticeship.

My ONC was completed after my apprenticeship and that went with the others on the additional seperate sheet for question 3.

With regards duties, I would think even though your work is well varied, the probability of carrying out a particular task could happen on any given day, the answer would be, all the tasks are your daily duties and would think you would state them all as being carried out daily.

Hope this helps

Ballesteros.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:51 am
Just Joined

jumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nicejumbojim is just really nice

thanx ballesteros appreciate all the advice, what exactly did you do with your collegework hours? i did day release too so just guess-timate hours on study?
and did you have to break down the course into subjects or just the name of the course?also regarding your apprenticeship how did you prove this? i was accredited thru eitb and got my certificates, did you break all that down too? showing which units and describing them?or will the certificate be enuff?
i'm sure i've got everything here its just the order and presentation i need to sort out? any advice at all would be a great help
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

ballesteros is on a distinguished road

Hi

My college hours, I was 10 hours per day(per week), so entered 10 hours in year 1 on question 3 (the course details actually entered in question 3 was a 1 year course).I did not break the courses down, just named the courses, adding the additional courses on a seperate sheet adding information as if I was answering question 3 for each course.

I did a detailed work experience covering everything from the start of my apprenticeship to present day, in there I did a detailed total of all my college hours during my apprenticeship with all working out (hours per week x weeks per year x years of college during my apprenticeship).

On completion of my apprenticeship I received an EITB cerificate, I did not break this down, just explained in my work experience that by the time my apprenticeship started, previous signed papers (indentures?) where no longer used and a successful apprenticeship was shown by the one EITB certificate which I sent a certified copy as proof. I can't see any harm in detailing the units if you feel you want to.

Ballesteros