British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-please-679070/)

krissie Jul 31st 2010 12:43 am

help please

anyone out there can help???
we have lived in NZ for 5yrs and have become citizens but my hubby has always been very unhappy here. we are looking to move to Aus, but heres the queries:
Are we automatically granted permission to live in oz as nz citizens?
Do our children have to be nz citizens or can they just come as our dependants?
Do we still have to apply for study and work visas even tho we wouldnt need entry visas?
sorry for all the questions - any help much appreciated!!
oh, and any help with good areas in and around melbourne??!!

Thanks a lot :thumbup:

Dorothy Jul 31st 2010 12:46 am

Re: help please

Originally Posted by krissie (Post 8741510)
we have lived in NZ for 5yrs and have become citizens but my hubby has always been very unhappy here. we are looking to move to Aus, but heres the queries:
Do we still have to apply for study and work visas even tho we wouldnt need entry visas?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...options-nz.htm

Bermudashorts Jul 31st 2010 12:51 am

I believe the information you need it all in here.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/trav...-zealand.htm#c

Why did you get citizenship for yourselves and not your children? :blink:

JAJ Jul 31st 2010 1:02 am

Before further consideration, if you are NZ citizens then why on earth are your children not also NZ citizens?

Pollyana Jul 31st 2010 4:43 pm

For information on Melbourne have a look here - the main Australia forum :)

krissie Jul 31st 2010 11:53 pm

thanks for your help...
unfortunately at the time we were unable to afford citizenship for us all as 2 of my children are over 14 and are classed as adults. we had the intention of doing it but just wondered if we would have to now with this move....

JAJ Aug 1st 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by krissie (Post 8743073)
thanks for your help...
unfortunately at the time we were unable to afford citizenship for us all as 2 of my children are over 14 and are classed as adults. we had the intention of doing it but just wondered if we would have to now with this move....

Yes you do have to get them citizenship as without NZ citizenship they have no rights in Australia. What on earth were you thinking? ... getting citizenship for yourselves but not your children.

zishan Aug 1st 2010 11:39 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8743134)
Yes you do have to get them citizenship as without NZ citizenship they have no rights in Australia. What on earth were you thinking? ... getting citizenship for yourselves but not your children.

Better to move after getting citizenship of your children.

Bermudashorts Aug 1st 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by zishan (Post 8743973)
Better to move after getting citizenship of your children.

Not just better, pretty essential in fact ... they would not be able to move to Australia unless the children are NZC or they get proper Australian PR. Unless they leave the children behind of course. :p

krissie Aug 2nd 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8743134)

like I said - it wasnt by choice but by circumstance!

JAJ Aug 3rd 2010 1:54 am

Originally Posted by krissie (Post 8746051)
like I said - it wasnt by choice but by circumstance!

I find it hard to believe that there wasn't something else in your household budget that you could have de-prioritised in order to pay.

Anyway, you've got to pay now and be warned that NZIS may refuse your children's citizenship if it thinks you're planning to move to Australia. So forget the idea until ALL your children have citizenship.

roaringmouse Aug 3rd 2010 3:30 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8748326)
I find it hard to believe that there wasn't something else in your household budget that you could have de-prioritised in order to pay.

That's really quite rude and condescending without knowing the family's circumstances at the time.

eddie007 Aug 3rd 2010 3:49 am

Not rude really... I mean if the kids commited some heinous crime and were deprted coz they weren't citizens and you couldn't get back because you were citizens... OMG ... HIDEOUS situation...

next year when we qualify for oz citizenship it'll be all or nothing even if there are 6 of us and we have to reduce our weekly spend on caviar to achieve it...

Weebie Aug 3rd 2010 3:54 am

If you can't afford citizenship for your kids then you can't afford to live in this country.

krissie Aug 3rd 2010 10:12 am

I think that you are rude and have absolutely no idea of my circumstances.... i never said that we were not going to get the children citizenship....we havent had it long either...im not a shit mother who doesnt give a toss! I was actually directed to this site as the people were supposedly very helpful and supportive...obviously not ALL people on here are. how good that you could 'cut your budget' just like that...
i apologise to those people who actually do help without giving a blinkered 'up themselves' opinion.