Help Needed!!!!!

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

NikkiGarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help Needed!!!!!

Hi everyone.
I am in need of some help and guidance and I'm hoping I can find it here. My name is Nikki and my husband and I have talked about moving to Australia for several years, but the time is now right for us to do something about it. Robert is a mechanic for the local bus company in North Yorkshire and I am studying and hopefully will gain a place at university in Sept to become a Midwife. We are unsure as to where to go for help and how long the process will take. It is going to be a big decision as we have 4 children too. Thanks for reading.
Kind Regards
Nikki
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

vickiejaynem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help Needed!!!!!

Originally Posted by NikkiGarnett
Hi everyone.
I am in need of some help and guidance and I'm hoping I can find it here. My name is Nikki and my husband and I have talked about moving to Australia for several years, but the time is now right for us to do something about it. Robert is a mechanic for the local bus company in North Yorkshire and I am studying and hopefully will gain a place at university in Sept to become a Midwife. We are unsure as to where to go for help and how long the process will take. It is going to be a big decision as we have 4 children too. Thanks for reading.
Kind Regards
Nikki
hi nikki
welcome to the site.I have found it a godsend to keep me sane in the wait.lol. we started the whole process in March with the skills assesment. we did it ourselves without agent (cut expense) by trawlin the net for info and family lawyer to certify all the documents.We thought it would be so daunting to do ourselves but managed (so far).lol Alot of people use agent too. It personal prefernce.
we decided last year to move to OZ.We too have 4 kids. My hubby is a chartered accountant.Im a nurse too but not worked for few years as childcare would leave us with nothing.lol.
Our 175 went in 1st july and we still waiting to hear. There have been some people who also applied in July have got their visa or case officer. It seems very random/skill based/fate in some cases and average time wait in others as there are still people waiting from last year for their visa yet.
as you will see on site the system all about to change a bit too with the critical skills list.
how long is your midwife training is that the 3 year one or 18 month coversion (or am I right in thinking allot of places dont do that one now, I qualified in 1998 as RGN).
I am sure lots of other will prob give you more info on site but if can be any help drop a line
good luck

vickie

Last edited by vickiejaynem; Dec 23rd 2008 at 5:48 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Hi Nikki, I'd use a agent, You pay for it but unless your very switched on and good with paperwork it'll take a load of hassel off you with things being returned. It's taken us about a year, We're off Jan to Perth. It's a long road of fun and games and some arguements, Your thinking about it at the moment so you think it's worth going for Go for it, you can always come back if it's not for you! You have nothing to loose except a few quid. Good Luck
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

I'd also add my voice recommending using an agent. Any good one will let you have a free, initial consultation to advise you of the visa classes that might be suitable.
Also have a good look at the Department of Immigration's website http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:02 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We did it ourselves and you would need the same paperwork if you did it with an agent or not so you would still have to do all the running around getting the stuff. If you are a Midwife by the time you come it will be a lot easier to as you will probably still be in demand.

Originally Posted by NikkiGarnett
Hi everyone.
Kind Regards
Nikki
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
We did it ourselves and you would need the same paperwork if you did it with an agent or not so you would still have to do all the running around getting the stuff. If you are a Midwife by the time you come it will be a lot easier to as you will probably still be in demand.
I have to agree with Ann here. We did our own application and it was not difficult; just time consuming. Take a good long read of www.immi.gov.au booklet 6 for details on applying for a skilled visa.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
I agree it's a lot cheaper, But if you mess up and miss something out it's sent back and when you returned it it goes to the bottom of the pile. It depends how fast you want to go?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulie H
I agree it's a lot cheaper, But if you mess up and miss something out it's sent back and when you returned it it goes to the bottom of the pile. It depends how fast you want to go?
It does not get sent back or put to the bottom of the pile. Rather your case officer will request further information. Where would you have heard that your file "goes to the bottom"?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

vickiejaynem will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It does not get sent back or put to the bottom of the pile. Rather your case officer will request further information. Where would you have heard that your file "goes to the bottom"?
i agree .The agent will still require the same paperwork and you have to find it all anyway. I would recommend the initial free consultation idea though so you get idea of what points you have. good luck
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:18 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paulie H
The forms tell you what to do step by step so you just have to follow the instructions and send the correct stuff, it was finding the stuff was the hardest not the forms as some stuff needed was from 20yrs ago or longer.

Also you can get all the witnessed stuff signed off at magistrate's courts or by the allowed list of people so that bit is not as hard as it seems on first encounter.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

mrscat is an unknown quantity at this point

are you going to finish your midwifery training before you go to oz? or are you going to try and go on your husbands occupation?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

Hiya

Im a paediatric nurse in A&E and I went through a job agency called vital recruitment, I got a job within 2 weeks of registering and then applied for registration in QLD. It took about 5 weeks to get that, we have done all the visa stuff ourselves and its been reasonably straight forward, however our medicals are taking forever to get there so still waiting for our visas. Were going on holiday visas on 7th Jan as were having a months holiday before I start my job, but we have applied for 457 visa sponsered by the hospital I'll be working for.

My husband, Andy has 20yrs IT experience but no job there yet so Im a bit concerned about that but I think you should go for it as soon as you can, whats the worst that can happen, if you dont like it you can come home

Mich
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

NikkiGarnett is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thankyou all ever so much for your replies, having different opinions has really helped!!!!!!!!!.
I want to qualify as a midwife before we go as i thought it would be easier for me to get a job and it gives me longer to sort things out at this end. I am hoping it is going to be easy for robert to get a job too as he is a bus mechanic. I am going to have look at the suggested web sites and start planning for a better future now that the christmas rush has died down in the Garnett household.
My only other question (at the moment) is when would we start the process bearing in mind if i start my midwifery course in sept 09 i wont qualify till sept 12???????

Thanks for all your help
Nikki xxxxxx
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

OMG I found out why my medicals are taking so long to arrive in Sydney!!!!........Because the Royal Mail have taken the liberty to send them to NORTH AMERICA aghhhhhh....not even the same continent :curse: