Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

help! need to certify documents (urgent)...

Wikiposts

help! need to certify documents (urgent)...

Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help! need to certify documents (urgent)...

Anyone from Bristol (in/around Broadmead)?

I am desperately looking for solicitors in that area who can certify my documents...

I called up many solicitors and asked them if they could certify my documents. They have absolutely NO clue as to what I am talking about, and they just say "Sorry, we don't deal with that".

Please can somebody help! I have to urgently send my documents to Australia....

Firstly I need to know what is "certifying documents" in UK terms please...
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:03 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help! need to certify documents (urgent)...

Originally posted by madankumars
what is "certifying documents" in UK terms please...
Ring the solicitors back and tell them you need them to stamp and sign the documents to prove that they are true copies. That's basically all it means.
Be prepared to negotiate though. I was quoted £5 per doc and I have about 45 docs altogether!!! Other people on this forum seem to think £2 is reasonable.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am desperately looking for solicitors in that area who can certify my documents...

I called up many solicitors and asked them if they could certify my documents. They have absolutely NO clue as to what I am talking about, and they just say "Sorry, we don't deal with that".

our agent certified all our documents for nothing
...wooo hoooooo
Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh! I remember this problem - I dont understand why so many people were so uncooperative when I wanted mine certified. IN the end I bit the bullet and posted them off to a friend that owned a postoffice in swansea (I am in Nottingham) and he did it all for me... but i was a nervous wreck all week waiting for both our passports and birth certificates to be returned....
Have you gone to yell.co.uk and looked up notaries - they SHOULD know what you are talking about. Some little post offices will do it - if the postmaster is around, but the big post offices in town DONT.... god knows why. Also people have said that their bank had done it for them....
Can I just add that if you ever want this done in Australia, it is SO hassle free - there are Justice of the Peace everywhere and do it for free - My family sent their statements back all certifed in a week.... my partners parents in UK took A MONTH to do it, and they live around the blinking corner - literally!!!
Good Luck! It is doable - just hard brinking on impossible.... once its done though, u are sorted!!!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Get the Yellow Pages and ring round.........some will do it for free. You just gotta plough through the list. They should all know what it means to certify documents,...crazy that they dont really.

SS
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it needs to be spelt out to them that you mean certificed copies as opposed to certified documents?! I would hope they wouldn't need that explaining but you never Know!!

I used a local solicitor to do certified copies - he originally said £5 per copy then agreed on £2 per copy as there were quite a few. After I went and got them signed I asked how much I owed him and he just said.... err..... call it a tenner for the lot! He had done around 20 signatures so was a bargain!

If anybody is in SE London I'd recommend him! Drop me a PM if you want his details!

Regards

ST
Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a similar thread on the general forum yesterday.
Apparently your local magistrate will do them for free!!
Solicitors in my area have been very un-helpful so i'll be ringing the court on monday.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stevejohna
I posted a similar thread on the general forum yesterday.
Apparently your local magistrate will do them for free!!
Solicitors in my area have been very un-helpful so i'll be ringing the court on monday.

Hope you get it sorted out.
I know this sounds a bit strange but everyone is talking 20 or so copies. I am just wandering if there is anybody out there with more then this because my husband has about 120 copies to do and I wonder if a local magistrate would do that for free?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by simbacat
I know this sounds a bit strange but everyone is talking 20 or so copies. I am just wandering if there is anybody out there with more then this because my husband has about 120 copies to do and I wonder if a local magistrate would do that for free?

I dont know about the magistrate, but I've heard that bank managers who will do this for you prefer it to be brought in, in two or three smaller groups.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mlbonner
I dont know about the magistrate, but I've heard that bank managers who will do this for you prefer it to be brought in, in two or three smaller groups.
Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

I was lucky, my neighbour is a JP and did stacks and stacks for the price of setting up a wireless network in his house (he bought the kit)

I also bought a rubber stamp kit so all he had to do was sign them. He says he does loads, and has to write name address date occupation and Certified copy on them.

The key phrase when looking at solicitors is Notary. When calling a solictor ask if they have a Notary, if they do then they know what a Certified Copy is.