British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help with my mum at 64 years old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-my-mum-64-years-old-892410/)

ALG Feb 25th 2017 8:07 pm

Help with my mum at 64 years old

Hi all,

I need some advice after running in circles with different advice. I am in the process of applying for a 189 visa for WA and would love for my mum 64 years old, widow and me as only relative to come over to spend her remaining life with us and her granddaughter.

There is many visas which look like they could be an option, but not sure on which and medicare in relation to costs.

Basically i am trying to find a total cost of the visa, contributory options, medicare cost, timeframes and bond. The info i am finding seems to contradict agents email responses on the gov.au website.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy

Pollyana Feb 25th 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Help with my mum at 64 years old

Originally Posted by ALG (Post 12190317)
Hi all,

I need some advice after running in circles with different advice. I am in the process of applying for a 189 visa for WA and would love for my mum 64 years old, widow and me as only relative to come over to spend her remaining life with us and her granddaughter.

There is many visas which look like they could be an option, but not sure on which and medicare in relation to costs.

Basically i am trying to find a total cost of the visa, contributory options, medicare cost, timeframes and bond. The info i am finding seems to contradict agents email responses on the gov.au website.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy

Options at present would be very limited as you don't have a visa yourself yet. You would need to be settled in Australia on a PR visa in order for your mother to utilise the Parent Visa options. Settled generally means a couple of years here.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

I will let someone with more knowledge than me go into the finer details, but you will be looking a good way ahead.

verystormy Feb 26th 2017 5:35 am

You need to be living in Australia for two years before you can sponsor a parent.

A contributory parent visa costs about $65,000 at present, but that will have risen by then and takes about 18 months to process.

Note, she would need to pass the medical.

ALG Feb 26th 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12190801)
You need to be living in Australia for two years before you can sponsor a parent.

A contributory parent visa costs about $65,000 at present, but that will have risen by then and takes about 18 months to process.

Note, she would need to pass the medical.

Hi. Again a different figure than others I have been quoted. Where does this information come from? Thanks

Grayling Feb 26th 2017 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ALG (Post 12190973)
Hi. Again a different figure than others I have been quoted. Where does this information come from? Thanks

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143-

Pollyana Feb 26th 2017 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by ALG (Post 12190973)

Parent visas involve a multitude of figures and fees, and deending on where you look you will see them written indifferent ways. Some sources will quote a total for the CPV fee and the bond together, some will quote separately. Then the Non-contrib Parent Visa and the Aged Parent Visa are different again.

Grayling's link to the DIBP website is the best one to use as it is the official site. However, by the time you are settled and able to sponsor your mother the fees (and maybe even the visa types available) will have changed.

ALG Feb 26th 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12191016)
Parent visas involve a multitude of figures and fees, and deending on where you look you will see them written indifferent ways. Some sources will quote a total for the CPV fee and the bond together, some will quote separately. Then the Non-contrib Parent Visa and the Aged Parent Visa are different again.

Grayling's link to the DIBP website is the best one to use as it is the official site. However, by the time you are settled and able to sponsor your mother the fees (and maybe even the visa types available) will have changed.

Very good point and thanks for the info. Best to just take the plunge and see where we go. Still can get her over as a visitor I suppose until times are right.

Pollyana Feb 27th 2017 4:39 am

Originally Posted by ALG (Post 12191338)
Very good point and thanks for the info. Best to just take the plunge and see where we go. Still can get her over as a visitor I suppose until times are right.

Yep, thats probably the way to go. There's no guarantee that she would be able to move over and join you, so make the decision about the rest of the family moving and then you would all have to look into the logistics of her moving later. Remember even if the actual visas don't change, she still has to pass a medical in order to get PR, and that can get harder as one gets older.

rammygirl Feb 27th 2017 5:53 am

I agree, proceed on the assumption you are migrating without her and she is unlikely to follow. If you cannot reconcile that then think again.

The two year period is a good thing, many people do not settle so you need to be sure before parents spend a fortune to follow you.

Longer visit visas are an option for parents, in any case she may not want to migrate or may not be able to afford to.