Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for 309/100 - question about our situation...

Applying for 309/100 - question about our situation...

Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

keiller84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Applying for 309/100 - question about our situation...

Have had some great advice on this forum and I think we're only a couple weeks away from having our 309/100 defacto partner visa application ready to submit

Short version of our story is I'm from Scotland, my partner is from Sydney - we met in Fiji in February 2014 and (after me flying back from UK to Sydney to meet her parents a few weeks later), she moved to Scotland in May 2014 on an ancestry visa.

We've had a great time living together here in Scotland but my partner is wanting to get a degree and is flying back to Oz in January in time to start in February. We've spent the last couple months sorting out my visa stuff and we've got all the evidence we should need.

This might seem like a stupid question, but should we be up front about the fact we are in some ways 'assuming' I will get my visa in terms of she has already booked her flights and we're already in the process of having our cat transported over (in 180 days)?

Given the timescales we are just proceeding as quickly as possible with all the arrangements, and we can't wait till my visa is approved before we make a final decision about moving there.

Basically - does this look bad from immigration's point of view or is it actually just further evidence that we are committed to each other and planning for the future?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for 309/100 - question about our situation...

It's somewhat helpful from a case officer's point of view when assessing your relationship, in particularly regarding your future intentions. I personally wouldn't be booking any flights until my visa was granted however unless you are prepared to pay to move the dates if necessary.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

But does it potentially look bad to the case officer that my partner has already booked her flights home and we've already begun the process of transporting our cat - before we know for 100% sure that I'll get my visa?

We know that you can't be sure about processing times so obviously I wouldn't be booking my flights before the visa was granted - but considering our evidence we didn't see the point in delaying my partner moving back over there even though it means a few months apart.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keiller84
But does it potentially look bad to the case officer that my partner has already booked her flights home and we've already begun the process of transporting our cat - before we know for 100% sure that I'll get my visa?

We know that you can't be sure about processing times so obviously I wouldn't be booking my flights before the visa was granted - but considering our evidence we didn't see the point in delaying my partner moving back over there even though it means a few months apart.
Sorry, that was my mistake. I speed read your post and presumed you were talking about your own flights.

It doesn't make any difference at all. She's an Australian citizen - she is free to come and go as she pleases and a case officer will only assess your relationship from the date of application. Any time spent apart whilst waiting for your application to be assessed and your visa to be granted is not taken into consideration and is perfectly normal.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cool thanks for the response, it did seem like a potentially silly question in my mind but you know what it's like when you're knee deep in a visa application - it's nice to bounce things off helpful forum folk such as yourself

We'll be up front in the statement about our future plans and include the fact that my partner's flights are booked etc.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:24 pm

Cool thanks for the response, it did seem like a potentially silly question in my mind but you know what it's like when you're knee deep in a visa application - it's nice to bounce things off helpful forum folk such as yourself

We'll be up front in the statement about our future plans and include the fact that my partner's flights are booked etc.
That's a good idea. If there's some flexibility in grant dates your case officer may be minded to grant yours in time for you both to travel together. No guarantees but being up front about your plans can only help.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

That would be nice in terms of getting the grant ASAP, but to be honest we have to wait 180 days before our cat can travel so I couldn't leave before that anyway!

If the rumoured processing times from the UK are still around 5-7 months then it will hopefully work out nicely.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:42 pm

That would be nice in terms of getting the grant ASAP, but to be honest we have to wait 180 days before our cat can travel so I couldn't leave before that anyway!

If the rumoured processing times from the UK are still around 5-7 months then it will hopefully work out nicely.
If you are looking to travel as soon as possible after your cat can travel then frontloading your medicals and police checks would be a good idea.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

I was planning on arranging them as soon as I submitted the visa application and got the required application reference number (i.e. before they are requested).
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:02 pm

I was planning on arranging them as soon as I submitted the visa application and got the required application reference number (i.e. before they are requested).
I would concur.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

When folk say 'frontloading' in this context, do they mean the same thing? Doesn't look like there's a way to arrange a medical before you have the reference # which, as far as I can tell, you only get once the application is submitted and paid for.

There's a clinic pretty near me in Scotland that I have already spoken to for the medical, and they indicated I can arrange an appointment at very short notice if necessary. I also think the police check only takes around 10 working days once applied for.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:07 pm

When folk say 'frontloading' in this context, do they mean the same thing? Doesn't look like there's a way to arrange a medical before you have the reference # which, as far as I can tell, you only get once the application is submitted and paid for.

There's a clinic pretty near me in Scotland that I have already spoken to for the medical, and they indicated I can arrange an appointment at very short notice if necessary. I also think the police check only takes around 10 working days once applied for.
'Frontloading' in the sense that after you lodge your application you obtain your police checks and go for your medical before being requested to do so by your case officer. This means that when a case officer is allocated your application they will already (in theory) have everything they need to make a decision. Providing there is sufficient space in the programme year then you should be granted there and then.