Wikiposts

Help! Do I apply here or in Oz

Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:30 am
Just Joined

def71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help! Do I apply here or in Oz

HI

I am getting married in Australia in October to my fiance from Brisbane. We have lived to gether in England for 2 years now and we have decided to move to Queensland from sunny Manchester in the UK.

However, we only recently decided to stay in Australia after our Byron Bay weddin which is on OCtober 16th.

I don't know what to do about a visa becasue if I apply for a fience visa then surely it won't be ready in time for the wedding. Am I better off just getting a tourist visa then applying for a spouse visa once we're married?

I'm a little bit worried about being able to stay even though I've done nothing wrong.

Cananyone advise me?

Cheers

Dave
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:39 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Help! Do I apply here or in Oz

Originally Posted by def71
HI

I am getting married in Australia in October to my fiance from Brisbane. We have lived to gether in England for 2 years now and we have decided to move to Queensland from sunny Manchester in the UK.

However, we only recently decided to stay in Australia after our Byron Bay weddin which is on OCtober 16th.

I don't know what to do about a visa becasue if I apply for a fience visa then surely it won't be ready in time for the wedding. Am I better off just getting a tourist visa then applying for a spouse visa once we're married?

I'm a little bit worried about being able to stay even though I've done nothing wrong.

Cananyone advise me?

Cheers

Dave

If you go over on an ETA and then apply for a permanent visa while here, I believe you would be breaking the ETA rules, which could cause some problems.
Really you needed a pros spouse visa. These can be issued vey quickly if you're application is put together well. I am curious though, if you've been together two years, why you're not going to apply for a de facto visa?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 11:43 am
Just Joined

To be honest I haven't got a clue what to do or what type of visa I need.

How do I get a pros spuse visa in a hurry and how long does it take and what does it involve?

Thanks so much for your reply

David

Originally Posted by mlbonner
If you go over on an ETA and then apply for a permanent visa while here, I believe you would be breaking the ETA rules, which could cause some problems.
Really you needed a pros spouse visa. These can be issued vey quickly if you're application is put together well. I am curious though, if you've been together two years, why you're not going to apply for a de facto visa?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:11 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

To be honest I haven't got a clue what to do or what type of visa I need.

How do I get a pros spuse visa in a hurry and how long does it take and what does it involve?

Thanks so much for your reply

David

You need to make sure you are clear about the visa you need, and any implications of applying for the wrong visa at the wrong time, in the wrong place!

All the information you need is here http://dima.cardgate.net/Partner_Migration/1127.pdf re the different types of partner visas.

Pros spouse visa can come through very quickly if you're able to frontload (send your PCC, medical, forms and all evidence in at once)
Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Do you know how long it would realistically take?

Also, what is a PCC and can my doctor give me a medical?

Cheers

David

Originally Posted by mlbonner
You need to make sure you are clear about the visa you need, and any implications of applying for the wrong visa at the wrong time, in the wrong place!

All the information you need is here http://dima.cardgate.net/Partner_Migration/1127.pdf re the different types of partner visas.

Pros spouse visa can come through very quickly if you're able to frontload (send your PCC, medical, forms and all evidence in at once)
Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:19 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Do you know how long it would realistically take?

Also, what is a PCC and can my doctor give me a medical?

Cheers

David

PCC = police check
Nope, you need a specific DIMIA approved doctor. Have a look here to find your nearest one. http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/HTML/medical.html

I doubt you will have the time to do this before you go. I've replied to your PM

Old Aug 31st 2004, 8:38 pm
Marc French

hi there, well im sure you might have seen my post two above, but my partner
and i had the same problem, the booklet doesent aprove of you applying in oz
nor does it disprove, when speaking to immigration australia, i was told
bluntly that if my partner arrived in this counrty with the sole purpose of
getting married and applying for a visa in the country then she could be
excluded from oz for 3 years, its not nice to hear that sorta thing, however
my parter flew back to her country of origin and handed in a front loaded
application and 1 week and a half later, the visa is approved.

it all depends if you want to take the risk
"def71" <member28512@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > HI
    > I am getting married in Australia in October to my fiance from Brisbane.
    > We have lived to gether in England for 2 years now and we have decided
    > to move to Queensland from sunny Manchester in the UK.
    > However, we only recently decided to stay in Australia after our Byron
    > Bay weddin which is on OCtober 16th.
    > I don't know what to do about a visa becasue if I apply for a fience vi-
    > sa then surely it won't be ready in time for the wedding. Am I better
    > off just getting a tourist visa then applying for a spouse visa once we-
    > 're married?
    > I'm a little bit worried about being able to stay even though I've done
    > nothing wrong.
    > Cananyone advise me?
    > Cheers
    > Dave
    > --