Help! Desperate!!!

Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Brumby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Desperate!!!

Hello everyone,

I am writing this as a last attempt at finding a way to achieve my dream. I have wanted to move to Australia for as long as I can remember. For 3 years now I have been trying to make this goal a reality, but all I have found are brick walls. I've tried to find a sponsor, I've tried the skilled migration but do not have the points, I've submitted for the skills matching but have never heard anything, I've even taken working holiday and gone to Sydney to try to find a sponsor in person instead of thru emailing resumes but to no avail. I'd consider going as a student but cannot afford the non-resident tuition fees and costs of living if I am only permitted to work parttime.

I am 31 yr old female. I am a dual UK/US citizen. I have 4.5 years experience as a software test engineer. I am a certified EMT and firefighter. I am also experienced in horsemanship, driving, grooming, farm management. I am healthy, intelligent, of good character, fluent in English (and 5 other languages). I want nothing more than to relocate permanently to Australia and I feel like I've exhausted any avenues (at least the legal ones) for achieving this.

PLEASE if there is ANYONE out there who is reading this and can help me relocate or has any suggestions I would be extremely greatful if you could email me: [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope there is someone out there who can empathize with my plight and knows of a possible solution. I am losing hope and grasping for straws! PLEASE HELP!

-Brumby ([email protected])
Old Nov 12th 2002, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

sherman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Desperate!!!

Hi, Brumby

Feel strange to read that you said 'do not have the points', how you calculated your points then? Coz i think according to your career exp, you could get the 115p for immi successfully as a SW Engineer.
btw, what's your degree and major?

Cheer up!

Sherman
Originally posted by Brumby
Hello everyone,

I am writing this as a last attempt at finding a way to achieve my dream. I have wanted to move to Australia for as long as I can remember. For 3 years now I have been trying to make this goal a reality, but all I have found are brick walls. I've tried to find a sponsor, I've tried the skilled migration but do not have the points, I've submitted for the skills matching but have never heard anything, I've even taken working holiday and gone to Sydney to try to find a sponsor in person instead of thru emailing resumes but to no avail. I'd consider going as a student but cannot afford the non-resident tuition fees and costs of living if I am only permitted to work parttime.

I am 31 yr old female. I am a dual UK/US citizen. I have 4.5 years experience as a software test engineer. I am a certified EMT and firefighter. I am also experienced in horsemanship, driving, grooming, farm management. I am healthy, intelligent, of good character, fluent in English (and 5 other languages). I want nothing more than to relocate permanently to Australia and I feel like I've exhausted any avenues (at least the legal ones) for achieving this.

PLEASE if there is ANYONE out there who is reading this and can help me relocate or has any suggestions I would be extremely greatful if you could email me: [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope there is someone out there who can empathize with my plight and knows of a possible solution. I am losing hope and grasping for straws! PLEASE HELP!

-Brumby ([email protected])
Old Nov 12th 2002, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Default You're question is the answer

I don't have a tertiary degree. I have loads of work experience but without a degree they won't recognize my skills. I did some checking into the RPL process but when I started looking into it my skills were on the MODL and since all this dot com crash madness my skills are no longer on the modl. or am I mistaken?

Anyway, if you know of any other options I am open to anything.
Old Nov 12th 2002, 7:39 pm
Jaj

You don't have to have skills on the MODL to be able to go through RPL
Why don't you contact a good migration agent who can go through your
case in detail?

Jeremy

>On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:58:20 +0000, Brumby wrote:
    >I don't have a tertiary degree. I have loads of work experience but
    >without a degree they won't recognize my skills. I did some checking
    >into the RPL process but when I started looking into it my skills were
    >on the MODL and since all this dot com crash madness my skills are no
    >longer on the modl. or am I mistaken?
    >Anyway, if you know of any other options I am open to anything.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:36 am
Thunder Ace

> Hi, Brumby
    >
    > Feel strange to read that you said 'do not have the points', how you
    > calculated your points then? Coz i think according to your career exp,
    > you could get the 115p for immi successfully as a SW Engineer.
    > btw, what's your degree and major?
    >
    > Cheer up!
    >
    > Sherman
    > Originally posted by Brumby

Sherman, I don't think she has a degree, that's why she can't get the
points. Now, it depends on how comitted she is, but it sounds like she
is clever enough to get a degree. 3 Years from now, she could be on
her way. Or she could get a formal qualification in some other
profession or trade. That could be acheived in as little as two years.

Thunder Ace

Old Nov 13th 2002, 11:04 am
Jaj

You can get an assessment without a degree in IT by going through the
RPL process. However, since 1 October 2002 you have to have at least
6 years experience in IT for this.

Jeremy

>On 13 Nov 2002 03:36:46 -0800, [email protected] (Thunder Ace) wrote:
    >> Hi, Brumby
    >>
    >> Feel strange to read that you said 'do not have the points', how you
    >> calculated your points then? Coz i think according to your career exp,
    >> you could get the 115p for immi successfully as a SW Engineer.
    >> btw, what's your degree and major?
    >>
    >> Cheer up!
    >>
    >> Sherman
    >> Originally posted by Brumby
    >Sherman, I don't think she has a degree, that's why she can't get the
    >points. Now, it depends on how comitted she is, but it sounds like she
    >is clever enough to get a degree. 3 Years from now, she could be on
    >her way. Or she could get a formal qualification in some other
    >profession or trade. That could be acheived in as little as two years.
    >Thunder Ace

Old Nov 13th 2002, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

sherman is an unknown quantity at this point

Brumby,

ya, this sounds like a doable approach, anyway, could you list out the points you self-assessed?

Sherman

Originally posted by Thunder Ace
    > Hi, Brumby
    >
    > Feel strange to read that you said 'do not have the points', how you
    > calculated your points then? Coz i think according to your career exp,
    > you could get the 115p for immi successfully as a SW Engineer.
    > btw, what's your degree and major?
    >
    > Cheer up!
    >
    > Sherman

Sherman, I don't think she has a degree, that's why she can't get the
points. Now, it depends on how comitted she is, but it sounds like she
is clever enough to get a degree. 3 Years from now, she could be on
her way. Or she could get a formal qualification in some other
profession or trade. That could be acheived in as little as two years.

Thunder Ace
Old Nov 14th 2002, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks, for the input everyone.

Unfortunately, I don't have a degree and I don't have 6 years experience in one skill area (4 yrs in QA, 2 in Sys Admin, 4 in Operations and general office). I began filling out the forms for RPL this Summer, but then went back and found not only had they changed it from 4 to 6 years but they also took my specific skills off the MODL, so RPL is out. If RPL is out, then getting a skills assessment is out. If that is out, then there isn't any sense in filing the independent skilled visa application since I don't have enough points.

Sorry to be so negative. Between the job search, then the in person job search in Oz, then the filling out of many forms only to have them change all the guidelines around on me has been EXTREMELY disheartening.

I am in the process of getting my degree, which ironically will come from a correspondence program with an AUssie Uni, but the degree is in Emergency Medicine, so it will do me no good with my IT skills and I'd have to apply under a different skill set. More irony still, the points value for the paramedic skills is only 40 as opposed to 60, so even with a degree, from Australia no less, I STILL can't pass the points test!

I could just hang for another 2 years and get more experience then try for the RPL, but who knows if they'll even still have the RPL programme by then... then there's the time factor. I am nearly 32 and 2 years plus the year or so for processing would put me at 35 before I get to Oz. I'm single and in the prime of my life and I'd really like some direction instead of being in limbo for 3 very crutial years... the whole meet someone, get married, have a good career, have a family thing would be nice too, and that's all tricky if I am living in stasis waiting for the chance to go to where I feel I TRULY belong.

I guess what I am looking for now is a bloody miracle... some philanthrope who's been in my shoes maybe and can see there way to getting me a sponsorship... Maybe someone knows of some other unpublished programs, or maybe there's a loophole out there that I don't know of.... I'll sheer sheep for a visa if necessary! Or maybe it's just impossible, in which case maybe someone could tell me I'm buggered and put me out of my misery.

I hope this clarifies my situation. If there's anyone that can help, please email me.

Thanks!
Old Nov 16th 2002, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

get an agent, a good one
Old Nov 16th 2002, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

It's very difficult, and I hope you get what you want. I soon realised that if I trained to be a hairdresser or a gardener I'd have a better chance of getting in rather than a Manager.

I've been working towards this for 4 years now since my first Skills assessment failed through lack of sufficient experience in a senior enough position. Stayed in same job for the extra 2 years got the positive assessment. That was 14 months ago and still waiting for the visa. Also only just sneaked it in before I was 35.

The life on hold thing is really killing me. I think I would have achieved much more in the UK if I hadn't been waiting, every decision has been made with this in mind, even the birth (or rather conception) of our second child, was timed!

We've decided we can't be in limbo any longer and are starting to do things to move ourselves forward in the UK. If and when the visa arrives, we will up and go but it will be when we are ready.

Don't underestimate the limbo bit..........and good luck to you.
Either get a good agent, or marry an Aussie!

Best of luck.
Mash...

Thanks, for the input everyone.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2002, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

mxqth: A friend of mine in Melb is actually an immigration agent... but an agent, even the best in the world, can't help if I simply don't meet the minimum requirements for the visa.

Mash: I can definitely relate. My whole life feels like it's in limbo as well, and I am not getting any younger. My only options as far as I can see are find a job that will sponsor me, or find a husband. Neither of which seems likely. ;-)

Anyone out there need a QA Engineer or a wife? LOL!
Old Nov 18th 2002, 5:26 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

mxqth: A friend of mine in Melb is actually an immigration agent... but an agent, even the best in the world, can't help if I simply don't meet the minimum requirements for the visa.
You're right in saying that even the world's best migration agent cannot help one who simply don't meet the basic requirements.

However, have you considered going for a bachelors course in IT at an Aussie university? That is one possible avenue for you to get a skills onshore overseas stundent visa, if the rules of today remain the same by the time you graduate.

Alternatively, sit for the whole suite of MSCE/D exams and you should be able to get into ACS' Group B, if you have sufficient IT work experience to qualify for ACS' six-year work experience requirement.

Peter
Old Nov 18th 2002, 5:50 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brumby,

I hope this doesn't sound unsympathetic, but why don't you study for and get a degree? You are still young enough to not lose too many points by the delay. You could also do as Peter says and study in Australia. If you have UK nationality you could study in the UK and get interest free loans to cover your study costs.

Not patronisingly meant, you have to put in a lot of hard work in life to get ahead. Aus and NZ insist on a degree or equivalent or comparable talent if you are a tradie - this is because they only want the creme de la creme, not unproven talent. They are in a buyer's market. I slogged my way through 5 years of university study (OK the truth is I loved that time of my life) and I feel justified in holding a certain advantage over people wanting to emigrate who don't hold a degree or who didn't work hard in a trade apprenticeship.

A personal example of the grit I think you need: my sister didn't get into university when 18 (this was back in the lower univ entry numbers of the early 80s) but studied hard in her spare time, qualified to go to university, got her first degree as a mature student, her PhD a couple of years later (all while bringing up a family of 2 then later 4 kids), then studied PGCE full time at university to become a qualified teacher (the last two qualifications whilst older than you are today.) That's what I call determination.

Best of luck - cheers - Don
Old Nov 18th 2002, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for replying.

Perhaps I should begin this email by sending out a general request:

If ANYONE knows of any IT firms that are willing to hire and sponsor people from overseas, please email me.

If ANYONE knows of any other means of obtaining a visa besides the ones already discussed, please email me.

I'd mention seeking out eligible Aussie bachelors, but I have not reached that level of desperation YET. ;-)

Although you didn't mean to sound patronizing, I'm afraid your note did come off a bit rude. Just because I don't have a piece of paper from an institution of higher education does not mean I am not the creme de la creme. I studied 5 years in pre-med and didn't get my degree because my last semester I got cancer. Now I am finally picking up where I left off and in two years should be holding a BS. I speak 5 languages. I've lived all over the world. I've worked in a broad range of fields, and I have been self-sufficient since the age of 17. Unfortunately, immigration departments see people as a number on an anonymous survey and don't really have the time to evaluate people on their individual merrits.

Maybe I should have clarified that I am already in the process of getting my degree (I thought I had). HOWEVER, it is not a degree in the same field as my professional IT experience.

Ironically, I am getting my degree from an Australian University by correspondence. Alas, I cannot take any points for Australian qualifications because none of my study occurs in Australia.

If I apply for a visa using the skills and experience in my soon to be degree field, the skills area is only worth 40 points, as opposed to the 60 points I'd get under IT experience. And I have checked, ACS won't recognize the degree for their purposes unless it is in the IT area of study.

I cannot see chucking all the effort and money I've spent to get this degree just to go out and try get an IT degree after all this is done so I can satisy ruddy ACS!

As to my age and the fact that I have "plenty of time" this gets back to the whole Limbo issue mentioned earlier. I'm sorry, but I don't plan on bashing my head against the DIMA wall til I am 40!

I think I mentioned before that studying in Australia, although a wonderful concept, would be far too costly for me to manage. The tuition alone would break me.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to write, but your email came off a bit snide and accusatory. Maybe you should have asked for the facts about my education first and then offered some suggestions. As it stands I don't plan on changing my degree plans midstream just to satisfy the ACS. If I could go over on my paramedic skills I would but they don't garner enough points. So, here I sit.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 3:45 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Just because I don't have a piece of paper from an institution of
> higher education does not mean I am not the creme de la creme.

That's true, however, it's increasingly difficult for relatively young people (and I consider you in this category) to claim to be "skilled" without the proper qualification.

> I studied 5 years in pre-med and didn't get my degree because my
> last semester I got cancer.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> ... Unfortunately, immigration departments see people as a number
> on an anonymous survey and don't really have the time to evaluate
> people on their individual merrits.

But they do - paper qualifications simply make their job easier. There are other routes to getting a positive skills assessment - the RPL from ACS is one such example.

> Ironically, I am getting my degree from an Australian University by
> correspondence. Alas, I cannot take any points for Australian
> qualifications because none of my study occurs in Australia.

That's the rule presently, unfortunately. I would have thought that the bonus points for having an Australian degree, as it is, is already reasonably liberal, especially when one considers the Skilled Onshore Overseas Students category.

> And I have checked, ACS won't recognize the degree for their
> purposes unless it is in the IT area of study.

That's true, as ICT occupations are considered professional occupations - hence the 60 points. You could try for an RPL assessment, if you have the 6 years of IT experience to go with it.

>... Maybe you should have asked for the facts about my education
> first and then offered some suggestions.

Like any so-called free-to-air forums, this newsgroup can only respond to you by the way you present your story. Can't fault anyone for responding to you when you didn't offer a totalistic picture of your life, can you?

> As it stands I don't plan on changing my degree plans midstream just
> to satisfy the ACS. If I could go over on my paramedic skills I would
> but they don't garner enough points. So, here I sit.

Considering the fact that a full medical doctor gets 0 points, 40 points for a paramedic is indeed a bargain...

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.