British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Help - claiming points for partner skills (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/help-claiming-points-partner-skills-774981/)

dani5 Oct 18th 2012 10:15 am

Help - claiming points for partner skills

Wondering if anyone can clarify for me:

My partner has a positive skills assessment for solid plastering from TRA.. our agent had previously told us that he was not required to do an IELTS for us to claim the extra 5 points on our 189 visa - however, they are now telling us that he does (great when we only have until the 30th november to submit our application!)

we were told that as he has a british passport, completed all his primary and secondary education in english and his 2 years trade certificate and apprenticeship was taught in english he does not need to sit an IELTS..

just checked the DIAC website and it says we need to evidence that he has competent english.. but i can't find any further info.. any help much appreciated!! thank you..

mrsgreenstar76 Oct 18th 2012 11:03 am

Re: Help - claiming points for partner skills

Originally Posted by dani5 (Post 10337116)
Wondering if anyone can clarify for me:

My partner has a positive skills assessment for solid plastering from TRA.. our agent had previously told us that he was not required to do an IELTS for us to claim the extra 5 points on our 189 visa - however, they are now telling us that he does (great when we only have until the 30th november to submit our application!)

we were told that as he has a british passport, completed all his primary and secondary education in english and his 2 years trade certificate and apprenticeship was taught in english he does not need to sit an IELTS..

just checked the DIAC website and it says we need to evidence that he has competent english.. but i can't find any further info.. any help much appreciated!! thank you..

He can use his British passport for proof of English, but he won't get any points. If you want the points, then he will have to do the test.

joojay Oct 18th 2012 11:11 am

Are you the primary applicant and you are claiming 5 partner points too?

If yes, then your partner has to meet the basic eligibility criteria, and for IELTS, the basic eligibility is a band score of 6 or his UK passport.

mrsgreenstar76 Oct 18th 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by joojay (Post 10337202)
Are you the primary applicant and you are claiming 5 partner points too?

If yes, then your partner has to meet the basic eligibility criteria, and for IELTS, the basic eligibility is a band score of 6 or his UK passport.

That's a very good point, joojay. I assumed that the OP was meaning the ten or twenty points for sevens or eights on the IELTS test for the main applicant.

dani5 Oct 18th 2012 11:57 am

thanks for all your replies!! i am the main applicant and have claimed 20 points on my IELTS... i am wanting to claim the 5 extra partner point..!? so does this mean the passport will be sufficient?

mrsgreenstar76 Oct 18th 2012 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by dani5 (Post 10337273)
thanks for all your replies!! i am the main applicant and have claimed 20 points on my IELTS... i am wanting to claim the 5 extra partner point..!? so does this mean the passport will be sufficient?

As far as I'm aware, you only need to prove English language proficiency for the partner skills points, so the passport should suffice. Is your agent MARA registered? You should ask them where it's listed that the partner must take the IELTS for the five points. They must have a valid skills assessment though.

dani5 Oct 18th 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10337310)
As far as I'm aware, you only need to prove English language proficiency for the partner skills points, so the passport should suffice. Is your agent MARA registered? You should ask them where it's listed that the partner must take the IELTS for the five points. They must have a valid skills assessment though.

Yes agent is MARA registered.. but they don't seem to have the answers we need.. my partner already has his positive skills assessment from TRA and we received our invite on the 1st october so we were all ready to submit our application, then our agent contacted us this morning saying he would need to book an IELTS test asap..

mrsgreenstar76 Oct 18th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by dani5 (Post 10337320)
Yes agent is MARA registered.. but they don't seem to have the answers we need.. my partner already has his positive skills assessment from TRA and we received our invite on the 1st october so we were all ready to submit our application, then our agent contacted us this morning saying he would need to book an IELTS test asap..

As I said, I think it'd be worth clarifying where your agent has seen that requirement.

old.sparkles Oct 18th 2012 12:27 pm

For a UK passport to count, you also have to be a UK citizen. Provided this is true, I would think you are okay. Have you had a chat with your agent to find out why they are now asking for IELTS?

dani5 Oct 18th 2012 1:42 pm

now all seems to be clarified... thanks for all your help. our agent has done some further research and it seems a passport is sufficient :)

mrsgreenstar76 Oct 18th 2012 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dani5 (Post 10337441)
now all seems to be clarified... thanks for all your help. our agent has done some further research and it seems a passport is sufficient :)

Good to hear. Good luck. :thumbup:

dani5 Oct 19th 2012 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10337444)
Good to hear. Good luck. :thumbup:

thank you :)