Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help... Canadian citizen hoping to marry Australian.

Help... Canadian citizen hoping to marry Australian.

Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

amandapatey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help... Canadian citizen hoping to marry Australian.

I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen hoping to marry my Australian boyfriend. We met online 6 years ago and in September 2008 I flew there on a working holiday visa to be with him. Unknown to me at the time is that you CAN'T apply for a second working holiday visa UNLESS you've worked 3 months in regional Australia... and now I'm back in Canada because my visa expired, feeling stranded :|. My boyfriend applied for a Canadian working holiday visa, but due to a few things on his criminal record he was denied, but is able to reapply late next year as it will be 10 years since his last conviction. That's a long time to wait though and we both just want to be together... so my main question is, am I able to go to Australia on a visitors visa (ETA), get married to him, apply for the Partner Temporary Visa (subclass 820) from within Australia, and get a bridging visa until it is granted? I've read everything on the website that I could possibly find, and there's nothing specifically saying that you cannot do this, and the ETA appears to be eligible for a bridging visa. The prospective marriage visa is simply too expensive and not enough of a sure thing, and it says it takes 5-10 months to process. My family has never met him as he cannot get here, and I'm not sure I want my family to know about the marriage yet, but if need be, I'd be willing to tell them if it would help this work out for us. I have met all of his family though. We have proof of many expensive phone bills, and his name is on the lease of the apartment I am living in Canada currently, as this was done before his visa was denied. I think we have opened a joint back account in Australia but we never ended up putting any money in it. I've also sent money to him via Western Union. I only have a high school education as well (currently in my first year of university). We're not made of money but we can easily take care of ourselves with jobs.

I just don't want to go there on a three month ETA, get married, apply for the partner temporary visa, and get rejected and be stranded once again. Does anyone have any thoughts? I have emailed the proper people the same questions but have yet to hear back from them.

Anything would be appreciated :S.

Last edited by amandapatey; Sep 14th 2009 at 9:50 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help... Canadian citizen hoping to marry Australian.

Originally Posted by amandapatey
I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen hoping to marry my Australian boyfriend. We met online 6 years ago and in September 2007 I flew there on a working holiday visa to be with him. Unknown to me at the time is that you CAN'T apply for a second working holiday visa UNLESS you've worked 3 months in regional Australia... and now I'm back in Canada because my visa expired, feeling stranded :|. My boyfriend applied for a Canadian working holiday visa, but due to a few things on his criminal record he was denied, but is able to reapply late next year as it will be 10 years since his last conviction. That's a long time to wait though and we both just want to be together... so my main question is, am I able to go to Australia on a visitors visa (ETA), get married to him, apply for the Partner Temporary Visa (subclass 820) from within Australia, and get a bridging visa until it is granted? I've read everything on the website that I could possibly find, and there's nothing specifically saying that you cannot do this, and the ETA appears to be eligible for a bridging visa. The prospective marriage visa is simply too expensive and not enough of a sure thing, and it says it takes 5-10 months to process. My family has never met him as he cannot get here, and I'm not sure I want my family to know about the marriage yet, but if need be, I'd be willing to tell them if it would help this work out for us. I have met all of his family though. We have proof of many expensive phone bills, and his name is on the lease of the apartment I am living in Canada currently, as this was done before his visa was denied. I think we have opened a joint back account in Australia but we never ended up putting any money in it. I've also sent money to him via Western Union. I only have a high school education as well (currently in my first year of university). We're not made of money but we can easily take care of ourselves with jobs.

I just don't want to go there on a three month ETA, get married, apply for the partner temporary visa, and get rejected and be stranded once again. Does anyone have any thoughts? I have emailed the proper people the same questions but have yet to hear back from them.

Anything would be appreciated :S.
If you can prove the relationship is genuine you aren't likely to get rejected. The main problem would be that if you come on an ETA and DIAC believe you intend to stay they MAY refuse you entry. However as long as you arrive with the intent to leave again, and change your mind and get married once you are here, then you aren't breaching the ETA rules
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I can't answer your main question, but I can alert you to an issue that may impact your situation, whichever path you take to a spousal visa.

Get your Canadian police clearance underway early! Canada has the slowest turnaround time of any major country for issuing these. If you have a clean record, processing times can be anywhere from 2 - 6 months (mine took just over 3). If you have any convictions, it will likely be at the higher end of that range.

When I had mine done earlier this year, my DIAC CO commented that the Canadian authorities had just circulated a memo warning that the processing times were due to increase. (The CIC website promotes a fast-track electronic processing facility, but so far it applies only to US applicants.)
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by abner
Well, I can't answer your main question, but I can alert you to an issue that may impact your situation, whichever path you take to a spousal visa.

Get your Canadian police clearance underway early! Canada has the slowest turnaround time of any major country for issuing these. If you have a clean record, processing times can be anywhere from 2 - 6 months (mine took just over 3). If you have any convictions, it will likely be at the higher end of that range.

When I had mine done earlier this year, my DIAC CO commented that the Canadian authorities had just circulated a memo warning that the processing times were due to increase. (The CIC website promotes a fast-track electronic processing facility, but so far it applies only to US applicants.)

Is the police clearance required for a Partner temporary visa? (I assume it is). Was your clearance for the same sort of thing? Can I even apply for it before I apply for my visa?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is the police clearance required for a Partner temporary visa? (I assume it is). Was your clearance for the same sort of thing? Can I even apply for it before I apply for my visa?
Yes it is required for the Spouse Visa, and yes you can apply in advance
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes it is required for the Spouse Visa, and yes you can apply in advance
Oh, excellent, thank you so much! I never would have realized it could take so long, that helps a lot.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

why not both go to new zealand and spend the year there. Once you have lived together for 12 months you can apply for defacto
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the applicability to a Partner temporary visa in isolation, but suspect you will need it. I was applying for both temporary and permanent spousal visas at the same time, and ended up being granted the permanent one directly, as there was already a child involved.

The police clearance processing was started about 6 weeks before my initial DIAC interview. There's probably some time limit to its validity once issued by Canada, but unfortunately I don't have that detail in my notes.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bagspacked
why not both go to new zealand and spend the year there. Once you have lived together for 12 months you can apply for defacto
Would he be able to do that with a past record? That's the whole reason he couldn't come to Canada. Although Canada seems to be quite strict about these things, and NZ and AUS would have closer ties, I'd imagine.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner

You only have to go to your local police station in Canada for a police check, not RCMP. ALL police services in Canada are linked to the CPIC system and have the exact same information that RCMP have. You will find it much quicker to visit your local station.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:21 pm
Banned

kyler is an unknown quantity at this point

Dorothy, just from recent personal experience I had to get my PCC in Vancouver from the city police office (Delta Police) and it took over 3 months to get it in the mail. 2 years earlier with the RCMP I was able to walk in and got it the same day while I waited!

Agreed it's still better to do it in person as I believe if you apply my mail you must send in fingerprints; they won't just do a name check as they can't verify your identity in person. This is contrary to AFP check in Oz where you can mail in all the required docs and get a name check done without having to go in person.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Would he be able to do that with a past record? That's the whole reason he couldn't come to Canada. Although Canada seems to be quite strict about these things, and NZ and AUS would have closer ties, I'd imagine.
Yes. Aussies can live and work in NZ, and Kiwis can live and work in Australia, both without restrictions.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes. Aussies can live and work in NZ, and Kiwis can live and work in Australia, both without restrictions.
Not 100% true.

The free movement between NZ and AUS by Citizens of each is subject to certain restrictions when it comes to some criminal convictions, you will need to contact the New Zealand Embassy to confirm if and what the restrictions are for his criminal convictions.

For Australians moving to New Zealand:

“Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live and work in New Zealand indefinitely.”

Here are more details on it:

http://www.nzembassy.com/topic.cfm?C...c=18&l=60&s=go
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Not 100% true.

The free movement between NZ and AUS by Citizens of each is subject to certain restrictions when it comes to some criminal convictions, you will need to contact the New Zealand Embassy to confirm if and what the restrictions are for his criminal convictions.

For Australians moving to New Zealand:

“Citizens and permanent residents of Australia (who do not have certain criminal convictions) may visit, live and work in New Zealand indefinitely.”

Here are more details on it:

http://www.nzembassy.com/topic.cfm?C...c=18&l=60&s=go
Does your partner have the criminal convictions which would prevent him from living in New Zealand? If not then it is a possible way for you to be together.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I stand corrected. I learned something new today