Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help - any way I can apply to the DIAC just now???

Help - any way I can apply to the DIAC just now???

Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

SunPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - any way I can apply to the DIAC just now???

Hi there,

This may seem like a daft question however I'm just wanting the answer confirmed and I know someone in here will be able to help!

Before the rule changes my plan was to applyto the DIAC for a 175 visa (as I had over 120 points), then apply for state sponsorship with Victoria and change from a 175 to a 176 visa if Victoria approved the state sponsorship

However now that the rules have changed slightly, I think I now get 115 points meaning I'm 5 points short to apply for a 175 and also meaning I can't see how I can get in the queue with the DIAC whilst waiting on Victoria to assess my state sponsorship.

Other than applying to Victoria, waiting for their decision, then applying to the DIAC under a 176 State sponsor visa, is there any way of applying under a 176 visa (or another visa) prior to having state sponsorship agreed by Victoria?

For info, I'm a qualified Accountant, have received a positive skills assessment from the ICAA and have passed my IELTS test with Band 9

Any help would be great!

SunPrincess
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help - any way I can apply to the DIAC just now???

Unless you can get additional 5 points through spouse skills, community language or points through Oz work expirience, than I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Vic decision firts before you can lodge 176.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply!

Could I lodge under a 175 and whilst not meeting the 120 points mark, I'd be in the "pool" area as will have 115 points, then convert to a 176 visa if Victoria SS is successful? Risk being that if SS is rejected, I float about in the pool for the rest of my days....or until Accountants drop of the CSL/new SOL.

SP
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:53 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SunPrincess
Thanks for your reply!

Could I lodge under a 175 and whilst not meeting the 120 points mark, I'd be in the "pool" area as will have 115 points, then convert to a 176 visa if Victoria SS is successful? Risk being that if SS is rejected, I float about in the pool for the rest of my days....or until Accountants drop of the CSL/new SOL.

SP
You could but you might be better off to wait until the new SOL and State Migration Plans are developed to see where you sit as it the seems the Plans will be different from standard State Nomination and could give you a higher priority if accountants are included.

If you're looking to make a move sooner than later you could look at Employer Sponsorship as an interim move or even a Working Holiday Visa if eligible.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth it if lodging sooner gets you additional points for age I guess not sure if you can convert to 176 from the pool though. Seems a bit weird that you don't get more points for accountant though there are plenty on here with enough points. Are you sure you calculated right?
Maybe get a second opinion from an agent.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Might be worth it if lodging sooner gets you additional points for age I guess not sure if you can convert to 176 from the pool though. Seems a bit weird that you don't get more points for accountant though there are plenty on here with enough points. Are you sure you calculated right?
Maybe get a second opinion from an agent.
There are plenty of accountants who can no longer make 120 since losing the MODL points. I would only have been able to make 115 today too.

I don't see any issue with changing from a 175 to a 176, being in the 175 pool isn't relevant is it? Still though, without sponsorship in the bag it is a risk.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show why the skilled migration needs looking at, not that I agree with the way they are doing it!

They say they want well qualified and experienced people, usually these are a bit older so loose points.

By the way a bit cheeky of me implying an accountant hadn't added up properly - I meant were they sure they had checked the point criteria properly on the official site. Some other web sites have some dubious calculators and don't explain the points properly.

Skilled occupation 60, age (30-34) 25, language with IELTIS 25, experience 10 adds up to 120

Less points if over 35 or less relevant work ex I guess.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Yeah unfortunately I don't get as many age points as I'm 35 plus we've lost the MODL points so only get 115 now - d@mn!

Maybe I should try and learn a second language which is currently in demand
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

6991samantha is an unknown quantity at this point

hi how do you go about getting state sponsorship any suggestions..
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:37 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 6991samantha
hi how do you go about getting state sponsorship any suggestions..
SS implies applying for a 176 or egional 475 visa amd you'll find a link to States/Territories Nomination under the eligibility sections of those visas.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ns-outside.htm

You'll need to examine the separate lists to see if your occupation is listed for they do vary and you'll find the application information on their sites too.

You may want to bear in mind though that State Nomination Lists could change a bit as the States/DIAC also develop their State Migration Plans [SMP] which is to be part of the new priority system with Ministerially Approved SMPs whilst the CSL is to be revoked [ all scheduled for about mid year ]
The normal SS will have a lower priority and an indefinite several years wait for processing if it is ever to occur.