Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Help and advice please on how to get to oz??

Help and advice please on how to get to oz??

Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

katie86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help and advice please on how to get to oz??

Hello everyone,

i am new to this

i have been wanting to move to australia for years now, but due to circumstances i havent been able to. i am a 25 year old female from the uk, i have a ba honours degree in illustration with animation. i was going to study teaching, to become a secondary school art teacher, but i dont know if there is much call for this over there??

a few of my friends have moved there the past few years and this has really driven me to start the process to get there! i was also thinking of becoming a hairdresser or beauty therapist? i want a career where i will get sponsorship.

how easy/ difficult is it to get sponsorship??

i am thinking of going over to aus around december this year on a working holiday visa, im just wondering what i will get work in? if i can get work? and as i dont already have the training then will it be pretty impossible to get people to agree to sponsor me for the future? i am thinking of going to sydney and melbourne when im there as that is where my friends are.

im SO CONFUSED and getting really frustrated as i really want this so bad but dont really know what the best road is to go down?

i have been on the immi.gov.au site and also spoke to them on the phone, emailed them and contacted my friends over there about this matter, but i still dont know what to do. 2 of my friends have trades, builder and joiner, and my other friend was in the same position as me, with a degree (in english though) but has ended up getting a job in recruitment.

anything is helpful so please dont hesitate to reply,

thanks

katie
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Help and advice please on how to get to oz??

i thought i had wrote this at the start but i also have a 2year old daughter
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So firstly you will not be able to go to Australia on a WHV with your daughter, children may not accompany WHV holders at any time during their trip.

I feel like it would be very unwise to follow any career path simply to get a visa. Doesn't just seem like a bad choice, but rules and wanted occupations change and there are stories all over BE of people that have studied occupations like chef or hairdresser for years only to find the rules change and they don't qualify anyway.

It doesn't appear like you have a path to Australia at the moment, but you are young and Australia is not going anywhere. I would suggest you knuckle down in a career you want to do and look into this again in a few years.

Oh and if you insist upon pursuing a career even if you are not really interested in the career but just want a route to Australia, then nursing is the one to go for.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

hi thank you for your reply, my daughter is going to stay with her father whilst im away on whv but i want to give myself the best possible start. i see what your saying but ive heard once you turn 30 that you have less chance of getting there so want to try my best to get there asap really
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:51 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that you will also need experience in whatever trade you choose to train in. You will need twelve months experience (minimum) out of the twenty four months prior to your application. However, you wouldn't receive any points for work experience that is less than three years.

If you're absolutely determined to train in a field that you might not be interested in to obtain the visa, then BS is right - nursing is probably the best bet.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katie86
i thought i had wrote this at the start but i also have a 2year old daughter
Is her father going to allow you to move her to Australia?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

hi thank you for your reply, my daughter is going to stay with her father whilst im away on whv but i want to give myself the best possible start. i see what your saying but ive heard once you turn 30 that you have less chance of getting there so want to try my best to get there asap really
No you don't have less chance of getting here once you turn 30, where on earth do you get that idea from? I was 39 when I got my permanent visa, a skilled 30+ year old stands far more chance of getting a visa than an unskilled 25 year old.

It is only the WHV that is not available to 30+ year olds.

I think your plan is a little odd to be honest; yes people do come over on WHVs and then secure sponsorship but these would be the skilled people and it is not likely that you will manage to secure sponsorship when you are not currently trained in anything in particular.

To leave a 2 year old alone for a year whilst you chase this pipe dream is extraordinary. And I would say this to any parent, male or female.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

yes he will also be coming but he is in the raf regiment so not very easy for him, and thank you for that comment but i wont be leaving on her own for a year??? i was talking about going for two months at the end of this year, and as her father is in afghanistan at the moment and has been for the past 6 months then i do find that offensive what you said, you would say that to any parent would you. im trying to figure out if its better for me to get training first then go on the whv or the other way round, as the problem is if he gets accepted into the raf this march in australia then your there and have citizenship within the year, and i cant move there without finding the right career that will give my family the best start in life over there? so i have to check it out first for my families sake and he cant go due to work commitments, so thank you for the offensive comments, i thought i would of got helpful replies, and thank you to the ones who did give usefull advice.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes he will also be coming but he is in the raf regiment so not very easy for him, and thank you for that comment but i wont be leaving on her own for a year??? i was talking about going for two months at the end of this year, and as her father is in afghanistan at the moment and has been for the past 6 months then i do find that offensive what you said, you would say that to any parent would you. im trying to figure out if its better for me to get training first then go on the whv or the other way round, as the problem is if he gets accepted into the raf this march in australia then your there and have citizenship within the year, and i cant move there without finding the right career that will give my family the best start in life over there? so i have to check it out first for my families sake and he cant go due to work commitments, so thank you for the offensive comments, i thought i would of got helpful replies, and thank you to the ones who did give usefull advice.
I have given you plenty of helpful advice, including yes of course you need to get your training before going on a WHV,it;s not rocket science. But I do think you should put your child before your fantasy of moving to Australia. Sometimes it takes a stranger to point out these things. And frankly I don't give a stuff whether you like it or not, you should be told.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 28th 2012 at 9:51 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:33 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just need to be aware that without any skills or experience that Australia require, the chance of you getting sponsorship is very low. They would have to justify why they'd be willing to sponsor you instead of taking a local. Without any skills/qualifications that are in demand, that isn't going to happen when there are unemployed Australians that could take those jobs.

You can't really blame Bermuda for being surprised about you going overseas without your child. It surprised me too. There was nothing particularly offensive about it. You hadn't put any other details, so it did sound like you were going overseas for a year. I think it'd surprise a lot of people if that had been the case. Snapping at members that are trying to help isn't going to get you much advice though.

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Feb 28th 2012 at 10:45 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:43 pm

Another thing, I'm a little confused as your post is a bit unclear. You seem to be indicating that your partner is attempting to transfer to the Australian RAF - is that the case? If so, why do you need sponsorship? Surely you would be going with him, wouldn't you?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Katie, neither BS, nor MrsG have been rude and unhelpful. They have in fact given you excellent advice. They have responded to the information you have provided. Yes it appeared from your first post that you intended leaving your child for a year, if that's not so then sorry but we can only go by what is given.

You are now saying that your husband is applying to get a transfer into the RAAF, as has been said, you coming out for a couple of months on a WHV seems slightly odd as you wouldn't need your own visa, you and your child would be included on his and given what you've told us, you are unlikely to be able to get a visa with your own skills anyway. This isn't rude or insulting, it's fact.

By all means come over on a WHV to decide if you actually want to live here before your husband applies for his visa, it's an excellent idea especially as you don't appear to have been here before and just because friends love it, honestly doesn't mean that you will. I can't begin to imagine how I could have travelled for more than a week without my children when they were tiny and I believe that is what both BS and MrsG were commenting on. However we are all different and if you are able to do it then fair play to you.

If we ignore the fact that your husband may be applying for a transfer, coming out for a couple of months, at your age, and with your skills, you are highly unlikely to find a sponsor for any sort of visa. You can however, find casual part time work in a bar, maybe an office and you can get a feel for the country and how everything works.

Sorry if the advice given is not what you want to hear, but facts are far more useful than untruths wrapped up in shiny pretty paper.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:26 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I think (from reading between the lines) that the parents of the child are not together - he is emigrating and she would like to also.

Maybe. Therefore, she would need a visa in her own right.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Just read your post Katie, and have to say from my experience it was so much easier getting sponsored in Australia once I was 32. I was offered 2 jobs, both with sponsorship....what they liked was my experience overseas and what I could offer to the Australian job market.
I have friends that came over on a WHV a few years ago...they were paid below market rates, and treated with caution, as normally people on these visas don't stay long in the roles as they are normally backpacking etc.

I would be very careful with making snap decision of coming over here, especially as you have a young daughter. Once here, you need to ensure you have enough money to get home etc if need. The cost of living is high in Australia, so you don't want to be selling yourself short just to be here.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.