Wikiposts

Help with ACS application

Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:57 am
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough
Cool Help with ACS application

Hi,

I am in the process of completing the application for the ACS to have my skills assessed as an IT Manager.

I do not have a degree but an HNC, MCSE and CCNA coupled with 8 years experience and most importantly, with this application, am a paying member of the BCS: It was a great relief to find out this omits me from the requirement of submitting an RPL application and report.

The application looks fairly straight forward but am not sure what exactly the ACS are looking for in the detailed written explanation to be attached with the Resume? I have been involved in many projects and have plenty to write but where do I draw the line and how much and how technical should the detail be?

Do any successful applicants have any guidelines, hints and tips? Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Gavin
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with ACS application

Originally Posted by GavinH
Hi,

I am in the process of completing the application for the ACS to have my skills assessed as an IT Manager.

I do not have a degree but an HNC, MCSE and CCNA coupled with 8 years experience and most importantly, with this application, am a paying member of the BCS: It was a great relief to find out this omits me from the requirement of submitting an RPL application and report.
Your MCSE clearly puts you in Group B, so you won't need to do RPL. I would advise you get on with your ACS application soonest as there's always a chance ACS could review its recognition of MCSE.

It's not so clear that a HNC would put you into Group B, and CCNA won't. Nor will BCS membership help unless you have Chartered status.

Hire a good agent if you feel you need assistance with your application.

Jeremy
Old Nov 1st 2004, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough

Jeremy,

I am in the process of applying for BCS chartered membership so this should hopefully put me in Group A? I cannot see anything in the ACS application or guidelines recognising MCSE status. Do you know this information through experience or can you direct me a supporting document?

Have you been through the application yourself and can you give me any further information on the detailed explanation to be attached with the resume?

Thanks for your input?

Gavin
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GavinH
Jeremy,

I am in the process of applying for BCS chartered membership so this should hopefully put me in Group A? I cannot see anything in the ACS application or guidelines recognising MCSE status. Do you know this information through experience or can you direct me a supporting document?

Have you been through the application yourself and can you give me any further information on the detailed explanation to be attached with the resume?

Thanks for your input?

Gavin
My partner was assessed as group B by the ACS with an MCSE.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:01 pm
DarrenD

Originally Posted by spottydog
My partner was assessed as group B by the ACS with an MCSE.
Hi

with an HND I was assessed as group B.

Have alook at http://www.acs.org.au

You will need to be careful to ensure that you demonstrate the technical side. If you pitch it as an 'IT Manager', it may be rejected on the grounds that being a manager does not demonstrate sufficient IT skills. (not saying youre one of these, but it has been known for IT Managers to know nothing about IT ;-)

Of course this depends on how much experience you actually have hands on. If you have 6+ yrs, I would suggest group B is safer.

Theres no bonus points for being in group A over group B.