Help - 2 Year Temporary Stay?

Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Question Help - 2 Year Temporary Stay?

I wonder if any of you kind souls could give me any suggestions?

I am hoping to have my 139 visa towards the end of the year and I will then make the journey to Perth with my gf (on a WHV) and I will eventually sponsor her on a de-facto spouse visa.

My parents want to come out to Perth at the same time that I go and it would be a great help to me as well if they did as I could live with them for a while until I have saved enough cash for my own place.

I will eventually sponsor my parents under the Contributory Parent Scheme but I believe that I have to wait 2 years before I can sponsor them as I have to wait until I am classed as a "Settled Resident".

Is there any way that my parents can stay in Oz for the initial 2 years on a temporary visa? They could try and apply for a 12 month visitors visa (I know 12 months can be granted in some circumstances) and then either try and renew it or go offshore for a week or 2 and then apply for another one? Or they could do the same but with a 6 month visitor visa (which may be easier to obtain) and either try and renew it or go offshore after each 6 months and apply for a new one? Is this possible? Can you go offshore and re-apply for another visitor visa straight away?

Any advice or opinions on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

Stu
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - 2 Year Temporary Stay?

Originally Posted by wafc
I wonder if any of you kind souls could give me any suggestions?

I am hoping to have my 139 visa towards the end of the year and I will then make the journey to Perth with my gf (on a WHV) and I will eventually sponsor her on a de-facto spouse visa.

My parents want to come out to Perth at the same time that I go and it would be a great help to me as well if they did as I could live with them for a while until I have saved enough cash for my own place.

I will eventually sponsor my parents under the Contributory Parent Scheme but I believe that I have to wait 2 years before I can sponsor them as I have to wait until I am classed as a "Settled Resident".

Is there any way that my parents can stay in Oz for the initial 2 years on a temporary visa? They could try and apply for a 12 month visitors visa (I know 12 months can be granted in some circumstances) and then either try and renew it or go offshore for a week or 2 and then apply for another one? Or they could do the same but with a 6 month visitor visa (which may be easier to obtain) and either try and renew it or go offshore after each 6 months and apply for a new one? Is this possible? Can you go offshore and re-apply for another visitor visa straight away?

Any advice or opinions on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time.

Stu
Hi stu...it may be worth you giving an agent a ring to talk it through??
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Hi stu...it may be worth you giving an agent a ring to talk it through??
Hi Cath,

Yeah I've asked my agent as well but with it being Easter weekend I thought I'd also try and get some opinions from people off here too.

I suppose we just need to know if the visitor visas can easily be renewed? i.e. if there is a limit on how many you can apply for.

Its a tough one but I'm sure we'll work something out.

Stu
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In that case make double-sure that there is no de-facto spousal relationship (or engagement) in existence already, or at any time up until you validate your visa. If there is, you need to be up-front with DIMA about it.

This will be the *first* thing DIMA look at when you lodge a spouse sponsorship as a new PR.

It's not really possible to establish residence in Australia as a tourist, sorry.

DIMA can get upset if they find people doing this, and they have the right to refuse entry on admission. It is often possible to extend a stay onshore, but this can often bring about Condition 8503- No Further Stay on the new visa.

The Investor Retirement Visa may work as a temporary solution, but it's not for everyone.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case make double-sure that there is no de-facto spousal relationship (or engagement) in existence already, or at any time up until you validate your visa. If there is, you need to be up-front with DIMA about it.

This will be the *first* thing DIMA look at when you lodge a spouse sponsorship as a new PR.
Hi Jeremy,

Myself and my gf dont live together yet but we are a couple. Why should us having a de-facto spousal relationship prior to me validating my visa make any difference to us then applying for a de-facto spouse visa when I am in Oz?

Thanks
Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ

Just as a further note on this, my agent actually advised the opposite, I was told to start living together etc before I go to Oz so that my gf then wont have to apply for the de-facto spouse visa on the last day of her WHV.

I'm not sure why you believe it may cause a problem?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a further note on this, my agent actually advised the opposite, I was told to start living together etc before I go to Oz so that my gf then wont have to apply for the de-facto spouse visa on the last day of her WHV.

I'm not sure why you believe it may cause a problem?
Sound to me that you should use a different agent!!

U want to have a look on the immigration website to see what obtaining a defacto visa involves and defintely dont leave it to the last day of her WHV before applying as they do talk afew weeks/months to approve!! If you plan to live with your partner before your visa is approved, you have to inform immigration of any changes to your personal circumstances, especially living with someone. If you dont tell them, it will then cause a problem in trying to get the defacto visa.

As for also sponsoring your parents, you can only sponsor 1 person at a time, so if your then applying for a defacto and sponsoring your partner, you will have to wait before then trying to sponsor your parents.

Last edited by suzysu; Apr 20th 2006 at 11:04 am. Reason: missed something out
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by suzysu
Sound to me that you should use a different agent!!

U want to have a look on the immigration website to see what obtaining a defacto visa involves and defintely dont leave it to the last day of her WHV before applying as they do talk afew weeks/months to approve!! If you plan to live with your partner before your visa is approved, you have to inform immigration of any changes to your personal circumstances, especially living with someone. If you dont tell them, it will then cause a problem in trying to get the defacto visa.

As for also sponsoring your parents, you can only sponsor 1 person at a time, so if your then applying for a defacto and sponsoring your partner, you will have to wait before then trying to sponsor your parents.
Hi,

My agent is very well respected and doesn't need to be changed!

I did say that I wouldn't apply for a de-facto visa on the last day of her WHV and even if we did, you can still be granted a bridging visa whilst the de-facto visa is being dealt with.

My agent has also already advised that I would have to inform immigration if my circumstances changed with regards to living with my partner etc.

I also believe that you can sponsor more than one person at a time, but my circumstances have now changed and not much of the above now applies anyway.

Thanks for your response though.