Wikiposts

Hello and some advice please

Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough
Default Hello and some advice please

Hi Everyone

I haven't introduced myself yet, just dipping my toe in the water. We are a family (one child) desparate to immigrate to either NZ or Aus. Aus first choice because have family there.

This immigration thing seems very complicated and I wonder if someone could offer some advice.

We intend to apply under the skilled migrant option with my OH as the main applicant. He has qualifications in one of the occupations on the skills list which we are in the process of getting assessed to make sure that they match what is required but my question is:

My OH studied one thing to masters level many years ago but he has never actually worked in this field and has gone on to do many other things not related. His original area of study is listed on the skills list so we intend to put this down as his occupation even though he has never worked in the field.

Will this cause a problem? His work experience has been in another occupation on the skills list but the reason we are not listing this as his actual occupation is because he is not actually qualified to do the work he is doing, ie he needs a separate degree for this but has many years experience and this has never mattered in England but of course it does matter when it comes to transferring your skills and qualification to another country. So we are applying under his original intended career path that he studied many years ago but never actually took up? Make sense?

Do you think they will accept us if his qualifications say one thing and his work experience is in a totally different area?

Thanks for your advice
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:40 am
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all
Default Re: Hello and some advice please

Originally Posted by WannaB
Hi Everyone

I haven't introduced myself yet, just dipping my toe in the water. We are a family (one child) desparate to immigrate to either NZ or Aus. Aus first choice because have family there.

This immigration thing seems very complicated and I wonder if someone could offer some advice.

We intend to apply under the skilled migrant option with my OH as the main applicant. He has qualifications in one of the occupations on the skills list which we are in the process of getting assessed to make sure that they match what is required but my question is:

My OH studied one thing to masters level many years ago but he has never actually worked in this field and has gone on to do many other things not related. His original area of study is listed on the skills list so we intend to put this down as his occupation even though he has never worked in the field.

Will this cause a problem? His work experience has been in another occupation on the skills list but the reason we are not listing this as his actual occupation is because he is not actually qualified to do the work he is doing, ie he needs a separate degree for this but has many years experience and this has never mattered in England but of course it does matter when it comes to transferring your skills and qualification to another country. So we are applying under his original intended career path that he studied many years ago but never actually took up? Make sense?

Do you think they will accept us if his qualifications say one thing and his work experience is in a totally different area?

Thanks for your advice
I cannot guarantee that I am right but as far as I understand you would be better off listing the occupation that he has experience in as you will need to prove that you have worked in the designated field for a certain amount of time i.e. 12 of the last 18 months.

Maybe you should speak to a migration agent.
I know there is at least 1 on this site and also my agency - Overseas emigration will take telephone enquiries for free, visit their site, they also have a large FAQ section where you may find an answer.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your advice
Nothing wrong in theory with nominating one occupation and having experience in another. DIAC will assess the experience and decide whether he is qualified in that occupation prior to any Work experience requirements - by this I mean that if he wants 05 points for 3 years skilled work experience in the last 4 years, and say the Australian standard for his occupation is a degree or 5 years experience, he will therefore need 8 years experience in the skilled occupation. I can be more specific if I knew what his current occupation was.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

WannaB will become famous soon enoughWannaB will become famous soon enough

thanks for your help. I've just re-read my initial post and realise that I was a bit vague. I guess I'm just struggling to get my head around everything.

I think we're in a pickle really! OH has qualifications as an Environmental Research Scientist. This is on the skills list. He is qualified to masters level.

A while ago he was getting no-where in his career so decided it would be nice to Teach Geography. Didn't do any formal qualifications, bit of training etc and got job in a nice non-govt school where he's been for years.

So this is our dilemma. Qualified as a Scientist but no recent work experience. Not qualified as a Teacher but plenty of experience. What to do?

By the looks of things we're out of luck and might have to get proper teaching qualifications before applying.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Why doesn't he do a one year PGCE course which is currently free of charge in the uk and he may also qualify for an income of £600 pcm while he is training.

This will then enable him to be assessed as a fully qualified teacher.

Otherwise if you have relatives could they not sponsor you? Just a thought
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:11 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help. I've just re-read my initial post and realise that I was a bit vague. I guess I'm just struggling to get my head around everything.

I think we're in a pickle really! OH has qualifications as an Environmental Research Scientist. This is on the skills list. He is qualified to masters level.

A while ago he was getting no-where in his career so decided it would be nice to Teach Geography. Didn't do any formal qualifications, bit of training etc and got job in a nice non-govt school where he's been for years.

So this is our dilemma. Qualified as a Scientist but no recent work experience. Not qualified as a Teacher but plenty of experience. What to do?

By the looks of things we're out of luck and might have to get proper teaching qualifications before applying.
Dear WannaB,

There's a lot of detail that I would need from you before I could say whether you qualify for general skilled migration, however the issue of whether your husband can work without qualifications in a registrable profession and claim that work experience seems to be a critical point. At the moment, I would say that the answer is no, however there is a rumour among migration agents that this position may change from 1 September. I would suggest you get competent advice after that date.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear WannaB,

There's a lot of detail that I would need from you before I could say whether you qualify for general skilled migration, however the issue of whether your husband can work without qualifications in a registrable profession and claim that work experience seems to be a critical point. At the moment, I would say that the answer is no, however there is a rumour among migration agents that this position may change from 1 September. I would suggest you get competent advice after that date.

Cheers,

George Lombard
could your husband to a uni linked SCITT program over the next accademic year at his school, this would get him qualified as a teacher.