Wikiposts

Have I failed IELTS?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of
Default Have I failed IELTS?

Was hoping to apply for a 175(midwife) and needed the extra points as I am 43 so decided to do the IELTS.My results came back today and I am a tad shocked to say the least! 7.6.5,8,8.5 overall band score 7.5 so I failed the reading section I reckon.Plan b would be a 176 as I have 105 points without IELTS or job offer so at least I have that to fall back on.Just need confirmation on the band score issue........is it a score of 7 in all 4 components or an overall band score of 7 or above which is acceptable?

TIA
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have I failed IELTS?

Originally Posted by shirlw
Was hoping to apply for a 175(midwife) and needed the extra points as I am 43 so decided to do the IELTS.My results came back today and I am a tad shocked to say the least! 7.6.5,8,8.5 overall band score 7.5 so I failed the reading section I reckon.Plan b would be a 176 as I have 105 points without IELTS or job offer so at least I have that to fall back on.Just need confirmation on the band score issue........is it a score of 7 in all 4 components or an overall band score of 7 or above which is acceptable?

TIA
Yes, you need a 7 on all components.
I am a Midwife, over 40 and needed the extra points for 175 visa.
Not a failure though, just need a higher score.

I struggled with the reading component. Some of the questions are quite ambiguous and it's timed. At our age, we didn't use 'skimming and scanning' a technique now used, so my teenagers tell me. they found it very easy..lol

You can sit the IELTS test again.
Good luck with whichever choice you make.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Yes, you will need to either apply for a state sponsorship or re-do the IELTS. The problem is that the test is not designed for native English speakers, but rather for those form whom English is a second language.

As a midwife you should have no problem getting a state sponsorship or even a job offer if you want to go that way. What state are you planning to move to?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Thanks for the confirmationsYep 40+ and questionable ambiguity on the reading(the 6.5 score).......they should re-name it "comprehension"-not reading,I read constantly,never without a book in hand,I question everything I read and quite frankly the answers to me were questionable.Like you say,teenagers are probably more adept at this because they have not reached the age of reason,and perhaps take things more at face value!

All is not lost we are fortunate to have a business visa 163 and will settle in QLD........I had been out of nursing for a while at the time we applied which is why we did not go with a 175.Flying next Saturday to go evidence the visas as like everyone else,we are struggling to sell up and will lose the visa if we do not get there by the 18th.........we will then have to return to SA and wait some more:curse:176..........or bust now
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:21 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the confirmationsYep 40+ and questionable ambiguity on the reading(the 6.5 score).......they should re-name it "comprehension"-not reading,I read constantly,never without a book in hand,I question everything I read and quite frankly the answers to me were questionable.Like you say,teenagers are probably more adept at this because they have not reached the age of reason,and perhaps take things more at face value!

All is not lost we are fortunate to have a business visa 163 and will settle in QLD........I had been out of nursing for a while at the time we applied which is why we did not go with a 175.Flying next Saturday to go evidence the visas as like everyone else,we are struggling to sell up and will lose the visa if we do not get there by the 18th.........we will then have to return to SA and wait some more:curse:176..........or bust now
Can't you come over on a 163 and then obtain sponsorship for your midwifery once here?

Surely an easier option than the 163 - but at least you do have this option.

All is not lost.

Jules x
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

We have the 163 already but it is an onerous visa and only temp.as you know.I like to be prepared well in advance and to do things properly hence the IELTS and quest for 175.......but..........I am done beating myself up over this and will definitely go for a 176 as I only have 105 points.Our 163 is for QLD so that is where we want to settle anyway....no question....so 176 perfect! We are not in a position to move yet as we have lots to sell up and need the assets liquidated to have a safety net so while we are idling in SA it made sense to pursue PR.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

memol is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have I failed IELTS?

TIA
Hello,
My understanding is that u already hav 105 points without IELTS,am i right to say that?For 175 u need only 120 points,tat's the pass mark...since u hav got above 6 for all components u r eligible for 15 points.So 105+15=120....

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...5/eligibility-
english.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

Sorry If I am wrong...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I think she already counted the 15 points in the 105 total -

Uk passports don't need any ielts at all for 15 points so a score of 6 gets her nothing she doesn't already have.

7 gets her 25 points ie 10 more than she has already got and counted.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Correct safin
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Correct safin
If you have already included 15 points for a UK passport then doing the IELTS test will make no difference, it will only add an additional 10 points which gives you 115 points, still not enough for a 175?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

think thats why the mention of job offer - increases p oints for those on modle - but I think recent work exp is also needed...

Sounds like a good case for a 176 - surely midwife is on quite a few of those lists!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Correct again Safin.........comprehension ability 100% unlike mine hence 6.5 score.......have got all the recent work experience required.......going for a visit now to evidence visa(163) so will try to put my CV about for that elusive job offer whilst there!