Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received an invite to the DIAC Expos in September?

Has anyone received an invite to the DIAC Expos in September?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Loulabell21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone received an invite to the DIAC Expos in September?

Hi,

Could anyone let me know if they have applied for this expos in September 2010 and have received their invite? The website states they will let people know either way by the end of August but I have not heard anything yet. Also if anyone has been to one of these before, are they worth it? We have been to another expos but it just seemed full of people pushing their services rather than offering advice.

Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has anyone received an invite to the DIAC Expos in September?

Been there and done that. Limited scope on employment areas covered.
Okay if in health service or a teacher.

Not a lot else. Sorry

ubdai
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

rexlion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loulabell21
Hi,

Could anyone let me know if they have applied for this expos in September 2010 and have received their invite? The website states they will let people know either way by the end of August but I have not heard anything yet. Also if anyone has been to one of these before, are they worth it? We have been to another expos but it just seemed full of people pushing their services rather than offering advice.

Thanks
got an email tonight, we didn't get an invite :-(
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rexlion
got an email tonight, we didn't get an invite :-(
Don't worry about it. It has saved you a bus fare, expos are a complete waste of time. We barely spent 15 minutes there when we went last year.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Loulabell21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got email too and did not get invite. Weird as my husband is an engineer and apparently in demand in all areas!!! At least I won't be wasting money on train fare.

Oh well, visa is in anyway so just keep fingers crossed that it gets processed sometime soon.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Nikko is an unknown quantity at this point

My Wife got an invite but we won't be going. The invite was just for one person (as the application said it may be) but a discission like moving to the other side of the would should involve both parties at all stages we think. We were willing to travel to london from west yorkshire and make a weekend out of it. There is an expo at manchester in October and tickets are £15 in advance so we will got to that one instead.

Nick.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikko
My Wife got an invite but we won't be going. The invite was just for one person (as the application said it may be) but a discission like moving to the other side of the would should involve both parties at all stages we think. We were willing to travel to london from west yorkshire and make a weekend out of it. There is an expo at manchester in October and tickets are £15 in advance so we will got to that one instead.

Nick.
Nick, I am very glad you are not going to travel from West Yorkshire to London for the expo. But really I would implore anyone not to make a trip anyhere for an expo. It is a WASTE OF TIME. It has been said on here time and time and time again.

We went to an expo last year in March as we started our journey, 16 months later we made the move. All the help and advice that I needed for our move I got from British Expats and we got nothing of any use from the expo.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They've not improved then. We went to one six years ago and thankfully only wasted a small amount of money as we only had to travel about 30 miles. Such a waste of time. No real info, no real advice, far more of both as well as having freedom to move if you just look on all the Aus Forums here.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

simharris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm - I've managed to secure an invite but I'm now wondering if it will be worth going. We have some quite specific questions about student visas and the standard 3-month business entry visa. We also have some specific questions for Victoria state reps.
Anyone any ideas as to whether or not the representatives at the event will be able to help - or am I better of calling DIAC directly in Aus.
Thanks,
Simon
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by simharris
Hmmmm - I've managed to secure an invite but I'm now wondering if it will be worth going. We have some quite specific questions about student visas and the standard 3-month business entry visa. We also have some specific questions for Victoria state reps.
Anyone any ideas as to whether or not the representatives at the event will be able to help - or am I better of calling DIAC directly in Aus.
Thanks,
Simon
diac will be there too
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

To be honest I've been to one before, and i'd never tell anyone to not bother it's for you to make your mind up.
What's a waste of time to one person will be useful to another.
I will be going as well.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moriarty711
To be honest I've been to one before, and i'd never tell anyone to not bother it's for you to make your mind up.
What's a waste of time to one person will be useful to another.
I will be going as well.
Genuine question - what did you get out of it? I have seriously never seen anyone say it was worth their while so if you have seen another side to it then it would be interesting to hear.

I have seen people say they are planning to fly in from Ireland or down from Scotland to attend these expos. And I genuinely feel that I am helping them by telling them not to bother. I am not just saying, I didn't think it was worth it so neither will you. That is my honest appraisal of what was on offer.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

To be honest you could be quite right and it may well be a waste of time for someone to travel a long way to attend, however there also maybe someone there that maybe of use to them and it could change their lives.
People should make their own minds up whether it is worth spending time and money attending, but if they do go don't expect too much.
As it happens VETASSESS were there last time and helped with future licencing questions etc.
No job offer, No visa but to be honest I didn't expect either.

I will attend again as I have had my application in for two years and just maybe someone will give me a bit of advise that will be of help, you never know!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not worth ringing DIAC for answers to specific questions. Ring them three times and you'll get three different answers.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's certainly not worth ringing DIAC for answers to specific questions. Ring them three times and you'll get three different answers.
I attended today and felt it was a lot better than last time, a lot less people and easier to get around.
I went with an open mind but had a good chat with a nice lady from the DIAC and also got an interview for Monday, so for me well worth attending.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.