Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever done 1 year training from scratch then got a PR?

Has anyone ever done 1 year training from scratch then got a PR?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone ever done 1 year training from scratch then got a PR?

Originally Posted by mandyp
Nerang is to be taken off the regional list if it isn't already. . .

Cheers
Mandy
Don't think i'd need the points anyway, as long as Wall and Floor Tiler is still a 50 or 60 point job.

So to get my 12 months of skilled experience in after the 2 year course, i'd need the Graduate Visa then?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:50 am
Reg Migration Agent

chelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nicechelov62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve1977
Brilliant, thanks for that guys! it thought it sounded too good to be true!

So, this is what i'm now thinking then, there is a 2 year course which does Wall and Floor Tiling in Perth, but i dont really want study there. I'd sooner be on the gold coast as thats where we have lots of friends and so forth.

So, i mentioned this just before, if I did a 2 year course in Nerang on the Gold Coast, the 1st year is Tiling, the 2nd year is Building and Construction.
Would the 2nd year be classed as 'relevant' to my PR application of tiler??

The other bonus is Nerang is classed as 'Regional Australia' so, that would be another 5 points I think!

Hi Steve

The Diploma of Building & Construction should be able to be 'tied' in as a relevant course for your occupation.

Nerang is currently on the 'Regional' area list, the rest of the Gold Coast is not. However, the department can change this as they feel fit. Do you need the additional 5 points for PR?

Kind regards

Cheryl
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Don't think i'd need the points anyway, as long as Wall and Floor Tiler is still a 50 or 60 point job.

So to get my 12 months of skilled experience in after the 2 year course, i'd need the Graduate Visa then?
Depends on how many points you have at the end of the course and which visa you want to go for. For an independant visa you need 120 points. . .if you are short then you have to do the graduate visa and work for a year in your industry.

You could maybe go for a sponsored visa at the end of your course if your occupation is on the states list, as you only need 100 points for a sponsored visa. A family sponsored visa is also only 100 points.

Make sure whatever course you choose is registered here

http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/?Redirect=Y

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chelov62
Hi Steve

The Diploma of Building & Construction should be able to be 'tied' in as a relevant course for your occupation.

Nerang is currently on the 'Regional' area list, the rest of the Gold Coast is not. However, the department can change this as they feel fit. Do you need the additional 5 points for PR?

Kind regards

Cheryl
Just had another look at the points system, and if i was applying for PR straight after, i wouldnt need them as things stand now, but if Wall and Floor Tiling were to dissapear from the MODL list i would. So if they decided to take Nerang off the list as well as Tiling off the MODL then i'd have to the graduate visa i suppose?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Depends on how many points you have at the end of the course and which visa you want to go for. For an independant visa you need 120 points. . .if you are short then you have to do the graduate visa and work for a year in your industry.

You could maybe go for a sponsored visa at the end of your course if your occupation is on the states list, as you only need 100 points for a sponsored visa. A family sponsored visa is also only 100 points.

Make sure whatever course you choose is registered here

http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/?Redirect=Y

Cheers
Mandy
Thanks Mandy, I had a look at that, and Tiling's not on the QLD list and i ain't got family there either
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mandy, I had a look at that, and Tiling's not on the QLD list and i ain't got family there either
Oh well. . .same boat as most of us then. . .graduates visa at the end of your course!!

It is a very expensive route to come on. . .especially if you have children of school age!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Oh well. . .same boat as most of us then. . .graduates visa at the end of your course!!

It is a very expensive route to come on. . .especially if you have children of school age!!

Cheers
Mandy
No kids yet lol! The biggest money issue is the $22000 for the course, i'm yet to call this particular training academy but from what i've heard from other institutions you can pay in 4 instalments. Was this the case with you too?

BTW. Thanks for all the advice from all of you! I have found this forum to be fantastic so far!! Answered in 1 day things that have taken me many weeks of research to look at!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

No kids yet lol! The biggest money issue is the $22000 for the course, i'm yet to call this particular training academy but from what i've heard from other institutions you can pay in 4 instalments. Was this the case with you too?

BTW. Thanks for all the advice from all of you! I have found this forum to be fantastic so far!! Answered in 1 day things that have taken me many weeks of research to look at!
Hubbie goes to TAFE and initially had to pay first instalment upfront before we left. . then next was pretty soon after we arrived, but yeah we paid it in the 4 instalments. If you pay the full amount upfront, you can sometimes get a wee bit of a discount.

We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now, hubbie finnishes his course in November. The last instalment left us completely skint. . .but we'r doin ok and just cant wait to stop jumping through the hoops as it were! Don't regret a minute and so glad we have done it. . .though still got the next stage to get through!! I'm just so glad that we haven't had school fees to consider as really don't think we would have made it this far paying that on top! Daughter starts school in January which is bad enough. . .though hubbie will be working full time by then!!

There are quite a few really good threads on the student visa route. . .a lot of good info.

Good luck!
Mandy
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You can also do the English test to get an extra 10 points. I will be doing mine soon.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

about the 900 hours for TRA... I believe the work experience can be part of your training program to count, as long as it is not required to obtain the cert3 or whatever the certificate required. For example, in my case, the Aussie students don't do work experience and still get their certificate. However, I do work experience as part of my course. Not a required part, but an optional part. Can someone confirm this?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

oh and another thing.. about the 20 hours a week limit.. if the work experience is part of the course, it is not subject to the 20 hours a week limit.

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

Notes:

•Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.

•If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for Permission to Work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Just had another look at the points system, and if i was applying for PR straight after, i wouldnt need them as things stand now, but if Wall and Floor Tiling were to dissapear from the MODL list i would. So if they decided to take Nerang off the list as well as Tiling off the MODL then i'd have to the graduate visa i suppose?
To claim the MODL points you need to have had 1 years work experience after you are qualified
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:32 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Another issue is that any course must be CRICOS registered for international candidates, which most are not......