Has anyone done a 461 visa to Oz from NZ?

Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Has anyone done a 461 visa to Oz from NZ?

I'm looking at ALL options at the moment as Im out of work.

I went to the ASB centre last week for the Career expo and they were right when they said it was sponsored by South Australia (Queensland maintained a heavy presence there too).

It wasnt a complete waste of time going there - I spoke to a recruitment agency from Hawkes Bay and there were 1 or 2 things there to consider.

I did glean one piece of interesting information from the Queensland Govt stand - As I am (a Brit with NZ PR,) married to a kiwi passport holder - I could apply for a 461 visa (valid for 5 years) meaning I could live and work in Oz, if the Mrs decided that we should go. It costs AU$190 and from what Ive read you have to do a medical and character assessments (can someone confirm this? I have recently done a NZ CAA class 3 medical and also police checks etc for the waste of time that was my Air Traffic Control training...but thats another story)

Downside being I wouldnt be entitled to any medical coveru and a PR app in the future would be AU$2000 - ouch !

Anyway - Im really interested to hear from anyone who has knowledge on this subject or has gone through the process.

Ta
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:30 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone done a 461 visa to Oz from NZ?

I can't help but wonder if you may get more response in the Ozzy forum. Some of 'em are really clued up about the Ozzy visas
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:48 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
I can't help but wonder if you may get more response in the Ozzy forum. Some of 'em are really clued up about the Ozzy visas
I'll move it to the Aussie Immigration forum and leave a link in here - there are several people in there on 461 visas, or applying for them.

Have a look for posts by Buzzy--bee
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:55 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaras dad View Post
I'm looking at ALL options at the moment as Im out of work.

I went to the ASB centre last week for the Career expo and they were right when they said it was sponsored by South Australia (Queensland maintained a heavy presence there too).

It wasnt a complete waste of time going there - I spoke to a recruitment agency from Hawkes Bay and there were 1 or 2 things there to consider.

I did glean one piece of interesting information from the Queensland Govt stand - As I am (a Brit with NZ PR,) married to a kiwi passport holder - I could apply for a 461 visa (valid for 5 years) meaning I could live and work in Oz, if the Mrs decided that we should go. It costs AU$190 and from what Ive read you have to do a medical and character assessments (can someone confirm this? I have recently done a NZ CAA class 3 medical and also police checks etc for the waste of time that was my Air Traffic Control training...but thats another story)

Downside being I wouldnt be entitled to any medical coveru and a PR app in the future would be AU$2000 - ouch !

Anyway - Im really interested to hear from anyone who has knowledge on this subject or has gone through the process.

Ta
Pretty sure you will be covered for basic medicare by the reciprocal agreement between UK and OZ. As for PR first thing to check would be weather your wife is an "eligible NZ citizen", if she is she could sponsor you for a spouses visa instead of a 461.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm in the process of doing this right now

The visa is costing me $250 NZ plus the cost of police checks (from UK and NZ- 35GBP from UK, free from NZ) plus the cost of medical. The website says it takes up to four months. It is only a temporary visa and therefore you pay international tuition fees at uni, which is why we start an onshore 175 application as soon as we land! For minimal outlay and time frame it gets you into Oz, but probably, unless you're happy with the 'temporary' status and the need to renew and the risk that the arrangement changes, you should have a route to PR planned as there is no route specifically from this visa. This is all afaik, so I hope I've given you up to date info!

I for one am very excited about our hop across the Tasman
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a 444 and 461.

The 444 (NZ passport holder) is basically treated as having PR for everything. The 461 visa holder is treated as a temporary resident for everything. It is a visa where you spend your life feeling as if you are in a grey area but it does at least allow an easy route to Oz for you.

Buzzy
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa has a lot of the information you need.

Has your wife ever lived in Australia before? If so, when?

Also, is your daughter a New Zealand citizen or not?

All this will impact on your options.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Has your wife ever lived in Australia before? If so, when?

Also, is your daughter a New Zealand citizen or not?

All this will impact on your options.
My Mrs is a kiwi with Citizenship and passport. She hasnt lived in Oz before.

My daughter was born in blighty but now has 2 passports (kiwi citizenship & passport) thru maternal descent

I'm just a humble brit with NZ PR (and an IRRV); I did do a WHV in Oz in 2000
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My Mrs is a kiwi with Citizenship and passport. She hasnt lived in Oz before.

My daughter was born in blighty but now has 2 passports (kiwi citizenship & passport) thru maternal descent
Have you thought about "upgrading" her to full NZ citizenship, rather than NZ citizenship by descent?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

As long as she is living in NZ, it's possible. She does not have to wait the 5 years as she is under 16.

This will ensure your grandchildren are kiwi, even if they are born in Australia or elsewhere outside NZ.

I'm just a humble brit with NZ PR (and an IRRV); I did do a WHV in Oz in 2000
How long is it before you will be eligible for NZ citizenship yourself?

Is there a plan to get permanent resident status in Australia?