Wikiposts

hairdressing and beauty 2 year course

Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:14 am
Just Joined

lisa.e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hairdressing and beauty 2 year course

Hi all,
I am thinking of going down the student visa route, doing hairdressing cert lll as a way to eventual pr. I am aware that it is only a 1 year course and that I need to bulk it out to 2 years. I was wondering if a diploma in Beauty services would be considered a close enough qualification to hairdressing for the pr visa purposes. I would prefer to study beauty than salon management if poss.
Also was wondering about this 900 hours work experience I keep reading about. I know that I would now have to work in the industry for a year after qualifying but is this in addition to the 900 hours work experience or instead of?
Can the year working in the industry be self-employed or do I have to work in a salon?
How are international hairdressing graduates treated when looking for employment, I mean is it a respected qualification and do they tend to discriminated against international graduates?
Finally! are the hairdressing academies any good, I mean if it all went pear shaped and we came back home would I have been trained well enough to actually be a hairdresser in the UK?

Best wishes,
Lisa
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of
Default Re: hairdressing and beauty 2 year course

Hi there, i'm not so sure about the student visa in hairdressing, they brought out new rules as of 1st sept so maybe you should contact an agent to get some free advice on it, i'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
I myself have just got my visa through the old 136 permanent residency using my hairdressing trade, i needed to have at least 900hrs in education and have 6yrs experience to get it. i hope this helps.
good luck anyway
ann
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

caringgoofi has a spectacular aura aboutcaringgoofi has a spectacular aura aboutcaringgoofi has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lisa.e
Hi all,
I am thinking of going down the student visa route, doing hairdressing cert lll as a way to eventual pr. I am aware that it is only a 1 year course and that I need to bulk it out to 2 years. I was wondering if a diploma in Beauty services would be considered a close enough qualification to hairdressing for the pr visa purposes. I would prefer to study beauty than salon management if poss.
Also was wondering about this 900 hours work experience I keep reading about. I know that I would now have to work in the industry for a year after qualifying but is this in addition to the 900 hours work experience or instead of?
Can the year working in the industry be self-employed or do I have to work in a salon?
How are international hairdressing graduates treated when looking for employment, I mean is it a respected qualification and do they tend to discriminated against international graduates?
Finally! are the hairdressing academies any good, I mean if it all went pear shaped and we came back home would I have been trained well enough to actually be a hairdresser in the UK?

Best wishes,
Lisa
hi there
i have a solution to your problem. pm me .
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Hi caringgoofi
won't let me pm you until I've made 3 posts, that was my first one!
this can be my 2nd!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:14 am
Just Joined

this being the 3rd!
I'll try and pm you now.

Lisa