hairdresser in need of help

Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

karenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nice
Default hairdresser in need of help

Hi, im in need of help, passed my TRA and my agent was just about to lodge my visa when new immigration rules came out. Im gutted, i waited 15 years thinking i had forever to apply. Hairdressing has been my passion and life. I have always dreamed of living in OZ, and now feel cheated. If anyone has any advice or knows of a company willing to sponsor I would love to hear from you . karen xxxx
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hairdresser in need of help

Originally Posted by karenformby
Hi, im in need of help, passed my TRA and my agent was just about to lodge my visa when new immigration rules came out. Im gutted, i waited 15 years thinking i had forever to apply. Hairdressing has been my passion and life. I have always dreamed of living in OZ, and now feel cheated. If anyone has any advice or knows of a company willing to sponsor I would love to hear from you . karen xxxx
Why do you feel cheated? You said yourself you waited 15 years to apply, so it's not like anyone took anything from you. It was you who left it too late I'm afraid.

It's unlikely you will find a company to sponsor you as a hairdresser. However, it wouldn't hurt for you to try looking at where you want to live and sending emails to salons asking if they will sponsor.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

karenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nicekarenformby is just really nice

Dorothy, I feel cheated because ive wasted £4,500, and i waited until it was the right time in my life before aplying to oz. It was not done on a whime and i had done my homework before applying. The agent i used advised me i would just make the deadline. If anyone (not Dorothy) has any constructive advise please email
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand why you feel gutted, but I also don't know why you feel cheated. You could have applied at any point in the last 15 years and chose not to, so who cheated you exactly? You weren't cheated, you are not a victim, you were just unlucky.

What you need to do now is wait for state sponsorship / SMP lists to come out, see if hairdresser is on any and if so apply for sponsorship. There is going to be A LOT of competition for places but someone will get them and you have just as much chance as anyone else. The only other option is employer sponsorship, the chance of finding an employer sponsor from overseas are slim but why not contact some salons and see what happens, at least you know you tried.

If neither of these routes succeed, then I think you might have to accept that you are ineligible for emigration to Australia.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy, I feel cheated because ive wasted £4,500, and i waited until it was the right time in my life before aplying to oz. It was not done on a whime and i had done my homework before applying. The agent i used advised me i would just make the deadline. If anyone (not Dorothy) has any constructive advise please email
Sorry you don't like what I said, but it's an unfortunate fact of life that you chose to wait. Perhaps if you want to be pissed with someone it should be the agent who gave you the advice to wait.

I gave you an honest answer and sometimes honesty hurts. I'm not sure what other advice you are looking for here. Hairdresser was taken off the list and there is at the moment not a way for you to apply for a 175 with this skill. You can either wait for state SMPs as BS says, or try looking for a sponsor, although finding sponsorship is going to be difficult.

I also think you'll find that this is an open internet forum. You will get answers from whoever answers. You don't get to pick and choose.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Holy crap, 4500 pounds for the TRA and an agent! How much was the agents fee?

We did our entire application ourselves for about $3000 Canadian. I can't imagine how on earth the agents fees could cost that much, unless of course they've included the visa costs in it. In which case you should get that back as you can't even lodge the application now.

How long ago did you do all this with the agent? I though hairdressing has been off for a little while now (sometime in the last 6 months or more). I could be wrong though, it just feels like I've known about it for a while.

I recognize that you feel cheated, and that's understandable. Although like the others say I think it's misplaced. Firstly because the immigration rules are always changing and there's no guarantee an occupation will stay on the list from year to year, so 15 years is stretching it! I personally would probably be ticked a bit that they said there was time, although again the agents don't know what changes are happening either.

I guess I just had to post as the amount of money you've spent is staggering and I don't really understand it. I'm also curious if you've just now found out as they changes happened a little while ago. Also... is your agent MARA registered?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with comet. How the hell??
TRA cost $300 last year to get a skills assessment didn't it? So what, about £150? And you hadn't even got as far as paying any of the immigration fees, medicals, police checks etc.
What the hell were you paying your agent? And that must have been for just the first part of the work too, to get your TRA application ready, they didn't even get as far as an application!
And did they only just tell you that you don't have that option any more? It was announced in April I believe (or around then, can't be arsed searching). Have they only just told you?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Karen, what a nice welcome to BE???!!!!

Welcome!!

Unfortunately there are many people who have been affected by the changes of late. Maybe things will change in your favour in the future. . . Who knows.

Good luck, and stay positive. If you really want to live in Australia then you will find a way ;-)

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:27 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi Karen, what a nice welcome to BE???!!!!

Welcome!!

Unfortunately there are many people who have been affected by the changes of late. Maybe things will change in your favour in the future. . . Who knows.

Good luck, and stay positive. If you really want to live in Australia then you will find a way ;-)

Cheers
Mandy
Really? How? While it's all well and good to be positive, it might be helpful to the OP to offer her a solution as to just HOW she's supposed to find a way.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Have you thought about looking at the regienal areas of Australia?

the nt could be your life line

page 3
http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/...rtage_list.pdf

your trade is there,

Last edited by wookiee06; Oct 2nd 2010 at 8:48 am. Reason: dfdf
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

krazys back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wookiee06
Have you thought about looking at the regienal areas of Australia?

the nt could be your life line

page 3
http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/...rtage_list.pdf

your trade is there,
My wife and I are in a very similar position to the OP (ie wanting to move but due to timing cant do it yet - therefore unlucky) and therefore this link above is at least a chink of light for us. Thanks to poster for the link but also for the honesty and information still offered by others taking their time to come on here!

Any further news anybody on rumours/facts around other state requirements?

Fingers crossed people, fingers crossed
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by krazys back
My wife and I are in a very similar position to the OP (ie wanting to move but due to timing cant do it yet - therefore unlucky) and therefore this link above is at least a chink of light for us. Thanks to poster for the link but also for the honesty and information still offered by others taking their time to come on here!

Any further news anybody on rumours/facts around other state requirements?

Fingers crossed people, fingers crossed
hey guys, this just a simple search i did in google about newcastle nsw for hairdresser jobs.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...+newcastle+nsw

Hairdresser jobs in geelong vic

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

could be a starting point to find network contacts who might know of companies which sponser with your skills
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

krazys back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wookiee06
hey guys, this just a simple search i did in google about newcastle nsw for hairdresser jobs.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...+newcastle+nsw

Hairdresser jobs in geelong vic

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

could be a starting point to find network contacts who might know of companies which sponser with your skills
Appreciated - already on it!!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:47 pm
gui
Just Joined

gui is an unknown quantity at this point

how on earth was hairdressing ever on the migration list anyway?!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It was on there as there was a shortage! The whole point of the list is to get people in occupations where there are not enough ozzies doing it. Hairdressers was one of those.