Wikiposts

Guidance required re: points system?!

Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Bexy Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guidance required re: points system?!

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had any general guidance on what I can do to find out more information on moving from England to Brisbane - or any helpful links etc.

I'm not too sure if I can be considered a skilled person or not - lol

Here's me: I'm 24, English, female (no kids), degree in History and Archaeology but not WORKING as an Historian - working instead as a contact lens supervisor and administrator for an opticians - with no actual optical qualifications.

Does anyone know if my degree would give me any points for gaining a visa?

From my research, I can see that I get 15 points for being under 40 years old(?!) and 30 points for speaking fluent English.

Is it feasible to get a working visa / another visa and get over there and do work - any work? And once i'm there - I wonder how one gets to stay forever???

Does anyone know what would be the most viable way of getting me there?

Sorry to have to ask - it's all a little confusing for me right now! lol

Thank you for listening.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guidance required re: points system?!

Originally Posted by Bexy Lou
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had any general guidance on what I can do to find out more information on moving from England to Brisbane - or any helpful links etc.

Here's me: I'm 24, English, female (no kids), degree in History and Archaeology but not WORKING as an Historian - working instead as a contact lens supervisor and administrator for an opticians - with no actual optical qualifications.

From my research, I can see that I get 15 points for being under 40 years old(?!) and 30 points for speaking fluent English.

Is it feasible to get a working visa / another visa and get over there and do work - any work? And once i'm there - I wonder how one gets to stay forever???

Thank you for listening.
Department of Immigration website
Old Feb 14th 2009, 12:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Thank you for listening.
Just to add, booklet 6 is where you would get your information for skilled visas.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Ok lovely thank you for replying - i'll go read booklet 6.

I must be the only one who finds the whole website a little daunting/ confusing!

Thanks though.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Hmm, nope... definitely don't count as 'skilled' because I haven't worked for over 12 months in my field.

Poop!

Guess the only chance is to do the 'Working Holiday' .. go over for a year... and try to make contacts. Which really isn't fool proof.

*cries*
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok lovely thank you for replying - i'll go read booklet 6.

I must be the only one who finds the whole website a little daunting/ confusing!

Thanks though.
No, you aren't, most people find it baffling to start with!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:29 am
Just Joined

lol yeah it's really hard!

But at least I now know I can't just magically emigrate there (which I want). SO I can focus on doing this 'working holiday' idea and spend 12 months in Aus (good really, to decide if i REALLY want to go) and try and make links with people and companies while I'm out there.

I intend to spend 6 months in Brisbane and 6 months in Adelaide.

Adelaide because I have a friend there. Brisbane because it looks awesome and I'd love to LIVE there some day.

I wonder what the chances are of me being able to find a job that may sponsor me to get a proper visa to allow me to live there. I can see it wont be easy - you're only allowed to work up to 6 months with any one business. And my personal skill set I don't think is particularly awesome - I doubt my degree would be very useful. xxx
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Guidance required re: points system?!

But at least I now know I can't just magically emigrate there (which I want). SO I can focus on doing this 'working holiday' idea and spend 12 months in Aus (good really, to decide if i REALLY want to go) and try and make links with people and companies while I'm out there.

Adelaide because I have a friend there. Brisbane because it looks awesome and I'd love to LIVE there some day.

I wonder what the chances are of me being able to find a job that may sponsor me to get a proper visa to allow me to live there. I can see it wont be easy - you're only allowed to work up to 6 months with any one business. And my personal skill set I don't think is particularly awesome - I doubt my degree would be very useful. xxx
Don't forget, if you work in a "regional" area (I think that's the correct terminology ) then you can also apply to extend your WHV for a further 12 months
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Guidance required re: points system?!

Don't forget, if you work in a "regional" area for 3 months during your first visa (I think that's the correct terminology ) then you can also apply to extend your WHV for a further 12 months
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Don't forget, if you work in a "regional" area for 3 months during your first visa (I think that's the correct terminology ) then you can also apply to extend your WHV for a further 12 months
In order to qualify for a second WHV you need to do a certain type of work, i.e. fruit picking.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...ity-second.htm
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the infos!

So if I pick fruit for three months, I may be able to stay an extra year? lol

i guess they really need fruit pickers!

xxx
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Thanks for the infos!

xxx
Spot on.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:58 am
Still alive

Thanks for the infos!

xxx
Yes, they do. The pay is low and the work is hard. I did it when I was a teenager in Canada and I can tell you that sitting in the sun bent over a vegetable patch for 8 hours a day is not an easy way to earn a living.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 2:40 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I believe you still need to leave the country when your year is up, but the you just fly to a nearby country stay for a few days/week and apply for a new one before you fly back.

I think that's how it works, I don't think you can just stay for 2 years straight. Someone on here must know for sure though.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I believe you still need to leave the country when your year is up, but the you just fly to a nearby country stay for a few days/week and apply for a new one before you fly back.

I think that's how it works, I don't think you can just stay for 2 years straight. Someone on here must know for sure though.
No, you can just stay on for 2 years straight. You can appy for your second year whilst in Australia and it will be granted here. No need to leave the country at all.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...ity-second.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.