GSM - Clinical research

Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:04 am
Just Joined

sbj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GSM - Clinical research

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me work out whether I am able to move forward with submitting an EOI for skilled independent visa subclass 189.

I am a junior doctor form the UK with a 3years clinical experience, full registration and a license to practice in the UK. I now live and work in Australia (for the past 12months) on a 457 visa as a "Research and Development Manager". I am ineligible to apply as a GSM as a medical practitioner as I do not hold medical registration in Australia ( I have advanced standing with the AMC). I have discussed this with APRHA and it is a no go. I would need to practice clinically for a year, and this is not an option for me.

I wonder if my interests and job role align with the medical administrator definition. VETASSESS and RACMA describe medical administration as:

"Medical administration is administration or management utilising the medical and clinical knowledge, skill, and judgement of a registered medical practitioner, and capable of affecting the health and safety of the public or any person. "

As I work in public health and have the relevant background as medical practitioner I wonder if I fall within this category. I currently project manage a research project which intends to inform healthcare policy and improve antenatal care. I have undertaken a course on public health statistics, published in health research and can obtain referee support to demonstrate my contribution to national research on a federally funded project (Department of Health and Ageing). However, as I am not registered in Australia and I do not hold post graduate qualifications in public health I understand I may not be. Any help on this would be really gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
Stephanie