British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Grandson from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/grandson-uk-902833/)

Kimandmark Sep 3rd 2017 3:01 pm

Grandson from UK

Hi, can i please ask if my mother who has lived in australia for over 30 years sponsor or nominate her grandson, he's 24 & from the UK
Thanks in advance

BritInParis Sep 3rd 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Grandson from UK

No. But if he wants to live and work in Australia then he can apply for a subclass 417 Working Holiday visa to get him started.

Kimandmark Sep 3rd 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, say he did do the above visa, what options would he have after that?

Dorothy Sep 3rd 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12330532)
Thanks for the reply, say he did do the above visa, what options would he have after that?

A few. If he meets and marries an Australian he can apply as a spiuse. If he has a skill on the list he can apply for a skilled visa. If he wants to do further education he can apply for a student visa.

He, at 24 should be doing his own research. Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection is where he should be starting.

BritInParis Sep 3rd 2017 9:40 pm

He could be sponsored by an employer or a partner if he was in a relationship.

quoll Sep 3rd 2017 10:11 pm

Or he could go home after his year (or two if he does his rural work) is up.

Kimandmark Sep 3rd 2017 10:17 pm

He's looking to stay long term. I'm an Australian citizen also but I'm currently living in the UK

BritInParis Sep 3rd 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12330602)
He's looking to stay long term. I'm an Australian citizen also but I'm currently living in the UK

Did you obtain your Australian citizenship before your son was born?

Kimandmark Sep 4th 2017 12:34 am

No, he was born well before I got citizenship. I was going to sponsor both brothers years ago, they were only teenagers, but back then they thought there friends were more important. They have regretted this decision.

verystormy Sep 4th 2017 2:41 am

What is his occupation?

Kimandmark Sep 4th 2017 2:45 am

He's just a handy man tbh. He's got tickets here in the UK for several jobs. Not sure if that would suffice in australia

Dorothy Sep 4th 2017 5:51 am

He can train in a profession he's interested in then in a few years come on a skilled visa. Unfortunately he's not going to qualify for a skilled visa as a handyman.

What tickets does he have?

quoll Sep 4th 2017 6:18 am

Looks like he'd be better spending his time getting qualifications and experience in a visa friendly occupation before he starts thinking about heading over for more time out. Now is a good time to be getting into further education if he's quick.

verystormy Sep 4th 2017 7:37 am

At the moment, unless he meets an Australian girl and they fall in love, there isn't any long term option for him. Family sponsorship on its own doesn't exist. The nearest is the 489 visa, but all this does is add extra points to a skilled applicant. The applicant would still need an occupation on the skilled list.

If he want to move to Oz, he is going to need to look at retraining, though I would strongly advise he chose something he would be happy about even if it doesn't lead to a path to Australia as the skilled occupation lists change regularly with occupations added and removed.