Going back to UK: VISA needed?

Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Question Going back to UK: VISA needed?

Hey guys,

I have tried to get an answer out of the UK Immigration department, but they are taking an ice age to get back to me...

I am going back to the UK for about 6 weeks (for a holiday), between the end of November 2014 and middle of January 2015. I no longer have a valid UK passport, and am travelling to the UK on my Australian passport. Do I need to apply for and obtain a VISA to stay in the UK for 6 weeks?

If anyone has any advice or experience with this type of situation, please let me know. Thanks guys.

Jamie
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to UK: VISA needed?

As a British citizen you have Right of Abode in the UK and therefore do not need a visa to go to the UK. If only your Australian passport is valid then take your expired British passport with you. You may wish to consider renewing whilst you're in the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:53 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Or just enter on your Aus passport - 6 months visa free entry, you do have to queue in the non-EU nationals line though.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000
Hey guys,

I have tried to get an answer out of the UK Immigration department, but they are taking an ice age to get back to me...

I am going back to the UK for about 6 weeks (for a holiday), between the end of November 2014 and middle of January 2015. I no longer have a valid UK passport, and am travelling to the UK on my Australian passport. Do I need to apply for and obtain a VISA to stay in the UK for 6 weeks?

If anyone has any advice or experience with this type of situation, please let me know. Thanks guys.

Jamie
No visa needed but a VISA card would be helpful
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Or just enter on your Aus passport - 6 months visa free entry, you do have to queue in the non-EU nationals line though.
Never tried it, but heard that if the place of birth in your Aussie passport is in UK, you can use the UK/European passports lane.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 2:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No visa needed but a VISA card would be helpful
MasterCard, even!
Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Never tried it, but heard that if the place of birth in your Aussie passport is in UK, you can use the UK/European passports lane.
Just carry both passports. You can queue in the UK/European passports lane and just show your expired UK passport.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you're only going for 6 weeks it's not an issue, they'll stamp your Aus passport with a 6 month stay visa when you arrive. Queue up with the non EU passport holders of course. Doesn't matter if you're British anyway. If you're planning on staying longer, however, much less hassle to keep your UK PP current and enter on it.