British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Getting visa for baby, after initial entry? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/getting-visa-baby-after-initial-entry-261315/)

AvronW Oct 20th 2004 9:13 pm

Getting visa for baby, after initial entry?

My wife and I received our permanent resident visas earlier this year, while she was pregnant. We were asked if we wanted to hold off on having them issued until after the birth, which would involve getting baby applied for before visas were granted, or get them then and add baby later. We chose the latter and got them then.

We subsequently visited Australia and had our initial visit and stamp-in and now baby has been born.

Does anyone actually know the procedure to get a visa issued for baby now that we have ours?

-Avron

moneypenny20 Oct 20th 2004 9:56 pm

Re: Getting visa for baby, after initial entry?

No idea but many congratulations on the bubba.

JAJ Oct 20th 2004 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by AvronW
My wife and I received our permanent resident visas earlier this year, while she was pregnant. We were asked if we wanted to hold off on having them issued until after the birth, which would involve getting baby applied for before visas were granted, or get them then and add baby later. We chose the latter and got them then.

We subsequently visited Australia and had our initial visit and stamp-in and now baby has been born.

Does anyone actually know the procedure to get a visa issued for baby now that we have ours?

-Avron

Go back to the DIMIA site, and download the information on Child Migration. You will need to apply at the nearest DIMIA office, the AHC London if you are in the UK.

Jeremy

sameerj200 Oct 21st 2004 6:43 am

Dear Avron
I am also in the similar situation. Our PR visas were issued on 8th Oct 2004 and we came to know about my wife's pregnancy on 11 th Oct. Now we are confused whether to deliver the child in Australia or just make the initial entry and come back to India and then sponsor the child from here.
As you may be aware , we have to pay Au$1245/- for child migration if we are applying outside Australia and Au$1845/- if in Australia

regards
sameer

-Avron

AvronW Oct 21st 2004 8:45 am

Originally Posted by sameerj200
Dear Avron
I am also in the similar situation. Our PR visas were issued on 8th Oct 2004 and we came to know about my wife's pregnancy on 11 th Oct. Now we are confused whether to deliver the child in Australia or just make the initial entry and come back to India and then sponsor the child from here.
As you may be aware , we have to pay Au$1245/- for child migration if we are applying outside Australia and Au$1845/- if in Australia

regards
sameer

The DIMIA agent who offered us the choice hinted that it was just a case of a simple application to London to get a visa issued for baby. The Child Migration visa is overkill for a newborn and worse, those costs for the application is steep (in fact as much as we paid for our full application)!

-Avron

Young Ones Oct 21st 2004 10:54 am

If you can, have the baby in OZ you will automatcaly get Medicare and the baby will have a Aussie birth certificate,the baby will be Australian its easier this way as apposed to sponser the baby and you will have to got through this whole process again, thats what our agent said to us.

Originally Posted by sameerj200
Dear Avron

regards
sameer

JAJ Oct 21st 2004 11:11 am

The DIMIA agent who offered us the choice hinted that it was just a case of a simple application to London to get a visa issued for baby. The Child Migration visa is overkill for a newborn and worse, those costs for the application is steep (in fact as much as we paid for our full application)!

-Avron

Child Migration is normally fairly simple (especially as since 1 Nov 2003 permanent residents do not have to be 'usually resident' in Australia to sponsor) but it does involve a new application form, new fee, medical for the baby etc.

The's the way it is (and it's the *only* way to get PR for the baby) - if that's not to your liking, have the baby born in Australia and it will be an Australian citizen.

Incidentally Canada makes things a lot harder for people in your position - PR visa holders with a child born outside the country - one parent usually has to establish residence alone (or both if they leave the baby with grandparents) before the baby can be sponsored.

Jeremy

asaxena Jun 18th 2006 11:28 am

Does anyone know whether there is any change in the processing of newborn child after initial entry. we are going to have similar situation in few months time. is it still child mig appl + $$$ + med etc.

A. S.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Child Migration is normally fairly simple (especially as since 1 Nov 2003 permanent residents do not have to be 'usually resident' in Australia to sponsor) but it does involve a new application form, new fee, medical for the baby etc.

The's the way it is (and it's the *only* way to get PR for the baby) - if that's not to your liking, have the baby born in Australia and it will be an Australian citizen.

Incidentally Canada makes things a lot harder for people in your position - PR visa holders with a child born outside the country - one parent usually has to establish residence alone (or both if they leave the baby with grandparents) before the baby can be sponsored.

Jeremy

Pollyana Jun 18th 2006 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by asaxena
Does anyone know whether there is any change in the processing of newborn child after initial entry. we are going to have similar situation in few months time. is it still child mig appl + $$$ + med etc.

A. S.

This is a very old thread - see dates of Oct 2004. You should check www.immi.gov.au for the up-to-date position.

I'm closing the thread as its so old and I'm not sure that the costs/info is current, but try this one instead -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376861