Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Getting Started - Advice re Printing Qualifications and General Questions

Getting Started - Advice re Printing Qualifications and General Questions

Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

JD70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting Started - Advice re Printing Qualifications and General Questions

Hi

We are in the first stages of looking into emigrating to Oz - been wanting to do it for years! Would be really grateful for some advice. My husband will be applying on a Skilled Sponsored Migrant Visa (176) as he has an Aunt & Uncle in Brisbane. He is a lithographic printer so his job is on the SOL as Printing Machinist 4912-11 (60 points). Although he has no formal qualifications for this occupation he has 24 years experience. On the Immi.Gov website is states that this occupation needs formal qualifications through study, training or work experience and is referred to as the Australian Qualifications Framework and you need to have attained AQF III or higher? We're a bit confused, how do we know whether his 24 years exp will be acceptable without any formal qualifications and will it be the TRA that confirms this?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of costs for migration agents for completing the visa process and any recommendations would be welcome.

Any advice regarding the print industry in and around Brisbane would be really helpful.

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Getting Started - Advice re Printing Qualifications and General Questions

Lol, i've wanted to go to Brisbane for 6 years
I'm hoping to apply soon as a graphic pre press tradesperson, only have 3 years recent experience, but worked for 12 months as a repro artist for flexographic printing before then.

I have a HND in graphic design, but not sure if I qualify or not without a degree either... I was going to study an extra year to upgrade the HND to a degreee, but feels like a step backward going back to uni!

If i find out anything myself i'll let you know...

Have you been to Oz before?

Jen
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Started - Advice re Printing Qualifications and General Questions

Originally Posted by JD70
Hi

We are in the first stages of looking into emigrating to Oz - been wanting to do it for years! Would be really grateful for some advice. My husband will be applying on a Skilled Sponsored Migrant Visa (176) as he has an Aunt & Uncle in Brisbane. He is a lithographic printer so his job is on the SOL as Printing Machinist 4912-11 (60 points). Although he has no formal qualifications for this occupation he has 24 years experience. On the Immi.Gov website is states that this occupation needs formal qualifications through study, training or work experience and is referred to as the Australian Qualifications Framework and you need to have attained AQF III or higher? We're a bit confused, how do we know whether his 24 years exp will be acceptable without any formal qualifications and will it be the TRA that confirms this?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of costs for migration agents for completing the visa process and any recommendations would be welcome.

Any advice regarding the print industry in and around Brisbane would be really helpful.

Thanks
Yes, it will be TRA that will assess whether your husband's 24 years of experience are acceptable for immigration purposes. I am afraid I don't have agood understanding of TRA assessments, but I do know there are a few different paths depending on the level of formal qualifications the applicant has.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Documents.aspx

If you don't manage to find good info on the forums, then I think it would definitely be worth hiring a migration agent to handle at least the skills assessment process which sometimes is the hardest part.

As far as I can tell from other posts on here, a migration agent cost to handle the entire process averages around £1,500 - £2,000. This would not include the cost of the application itself which is $2,525 at the moment.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, what happens once you complete the TRA migration skills application? Do they give you a "yes you qualify" or "no you don't"?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Coppock
Lol, i've wanted to go to Brisbane for 6 years
I'm hoping to apply soon as a graphic pre press tradesperson, only have 3 years recent experience, but worked for 12 months as a repro artist for flexographic printing before then.

I have a HND in graphic design, but not sure if I qualify or not without a degree either... I was going to study an extra year to upgrade the HND to a degreee, but feels like a step backward going back to uni!

If i find out anything myself i'll let you know...

Have you been to Oz before?

Jen

Hiya Jen

Thanks for your reply. It's not going to be easy is it?!

Yeah we went to Australia for a year in 1996 backpacking and I've wanted to go back ever since, we had a fantastic time. Have you been before?

Jane
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes, it will be TRA that will assess whether your husband's 24 years of experience are acceptable for immigration purposes. I am afraid I don't have agood understanding of TRA assessments, but I do know there are a few different paths depending on the level of formal qualifications the applicant has.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Documents.aspx

If you don't manage to find good info on the forums, then I think it would definitely be worth hiring a migration agent to handle at least the skills assessment process which sometimes is the hardest part.

As far as I can tell from other posts on here, a migration agent cost to handle the entire process averages around £1,500 - £2,000. This would not include the cost of the application itself which is $2,525 at the moment.
Hi

Thanks very much for your response, any advice is gratefully received. I feel I have a lot of research to do!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD70
Hiya Jen

Thanks for your reply. It's not going to be easy is it?!

Yeah we went to Australia for a year in 1996 backpacking and I've wanted to go back ever since, we had a fantastic time. Have you been before?

Jane
Hi, yea we went last year to the gold coast and got married, it was fantastic. rained all day on the wedding! but the place and people was amazing. We work for ourselves so work won't be too much of a problem, just got to get the visa first! I suppose i'm lucky - i should be able to upgrade my hnd into a degree in just one year, but trying to do that along with running the business (got two daughters - 3 years and 10 months) will be extremely exhausting... but if its the only way then it will be worth it....

Just want to know how much a chance we stand without a degree and only HND - after all its a higher diploma, just not sure and can't find much info out!

I'm probably going to give an agent a call tomorrow and see if they can shed any light...

Where abouts in Brisbane are you thinking of? We were heading for the Gold Coast, but i'm wondering if the sunshine coast might be better for us... decisions decisions decisions