Getting PR without family

Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Ishan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting PR without family

Hi,

I want to take Australian PR and I think I am eligible for it. I am married and have a son. But right now I want to apply for Australia PR just for myself and not my whole family. Is that possible ? I am not in Australia right now and has never been there. Also is it possible to bring my wife and kid as a dependent if they like to visit me ? Also how much time does it take to get a PR from India these days ? I am in US right now... is it faster if I apply for PR from here ?

Last edited by Ishan; Jul 11th 2009 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting PR without family

Originally Posted by Ishan
Hi,

I want to take Australian PR and I think I am eligible for it. I am married and have a son. But right now I want to apply for Australia PR just for myself and not my whole family. Is that possible ? I am not in Australia right now and has never been there. Also is it possible to bring my wife and kid as a dependent if they like to visit me ? Also how much time does it take to get a PR from India these days ? I am in US right now... is it faster if I apply for PR from here ?
Why on earth would you want to come and live permanently in Austrlaia with the rest of your family living in India?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

My wife is in middle of her education and it will take her another 3-3.5 years to complete. She will join me once she completes it and I will apply for her PR after she has completed her study
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

water man will become famous soon enough

My wife is in middle of her education and it will take her another 3-3.5 years to complete. She will join me once she completes it and I will apply for her PR after she has completed her study
better u go alone?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:09 am
Just Joined

but is it possible that I apply PR just for my self and not for my family ? Or is it mandatory that a person has to apply for PR of whole family and not as individual once married ?

Last edited by Ishan; Jul 12th 2009 at 2:12 am.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:42 am
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point

but is it possible that I apply PR just for my self and not for my family ? Or is it mandatory that a person has to apply for PR of whole family and not as individual once married ?

I don't think so that there is any rule. You can apply alone. In your application you can call your family as non-migrating dependants.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

but is it possible that I apply PR just for my self and not for my family ?
No, that is not possible. But see below:

Apply for PR for your whole family now. When you get the visa, the whole family takes a trip to Australia. That validates the visa. You stay in Australia. Your wife and child travel back to India. She then has until the last entry date (printed on visa) to move permanently to Australia.

Visas have to be validated within a short time (usually within 12 monthls of when you did the medicals and police checks). It is then legal for all or part of the family to travel back out of Australia (e.g. to your home country) and the visa remains valid until the last entry date.

The last entry date is usually around 5 years from when the visa was granted. That would give your wife enough time to finish her education. (It'll take 12-18 months minimum to get the PR visa, but which time she'll only have two years left of her education).
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
No, that is not possible. But see below:

Yes, it is possible. However DIAC will want to know why he has a wife and children who are not included in his application.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:33 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

How strange. Few would consider going the route that you are proposing. Unless...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 6:36 am
June'08 applicant

sandy81 is on a distinguished road

why to spent extra money on spouse visa (2525 AUD-subclass 801) & child visa (2525 AUD-subclass 802) ... when you can include both your wife and kid in your PR application which cost you AUD2525 ... Note that, every year visa fees increases, this time it was increased by 20%.

Note that, your wife and kid also has to undergo medical examination for your 'alone' PR, regardless of they are migrating or not

If your wife can't come then you can just validate her visa as explained by ozhappy981 !

Save bucks
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:30 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

My wife is in middle of her education and it will take her another 3-3.5 years to complete. She will join me once she completes it
In which case, the neatest, esiest and simplest solution is that your wife and family are included on your application as dependants. Once you are approved, they, and you, travel to Australia.

Should you then wish to remain you can do so. They can then return to India where your wife can finish her studies as the initial visa will be valid for up to five years depending on when the 'validation trip' is made.

I would imagine it will also solve a lot incipient marital issues compared to you applying without them.