British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Getting married/changing passport - implications for PR Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/getting-married-changing-passport-implications-pr-visa-710007/)

Rainydaze Mar 19th 2011 9:18 pm

Getting married/changing passport - implications for PR Visa

I was granted a PR visa when I immigrated to Australia 3 years ago.

I am marrying my Australian spouse back home in Northern Ireland this June, and in the month we're home, I'm hoping to change my passport to my new married name.

I know I'll have to get a new passport - what implications will this have for my Australian PR visa? I'm not sure if I can transfer the visa automatically to my new passport, or would I have to formally reapply? Just a little concerned about how realistic it would be for me to get everything sorted to allow me to fly back into Australia a month later with a working passport and visa!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Dorothy Mar 19th 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Getting married/changing passport - implications for PR Visa

Originally Posted by Rainydaze (Post 9250878)

I am marrying my Australian spouse back home in Northern Ireland this June, and in the month we're home, I'm hoping to change my passport to my new married name.

I know I'll have to get a new passport - what implications will this have for my Australian PR visa? I'm not sure if I can transfer the visa automatically to my new passport, or would I have to formally reapply? Just a little concerned about how realistic it would be for me to get everything sorted to allow me to fly back into Australia a month later with a working passport and visa!

You get married where you like. You get a new passport and either travel with both your old one with the visa in & the new one, or inform DIAC of the change in your passport so you can get the visa label put in the new one.

Rainydaze Mar 19th 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Dorothy - is it really that straightforward?! I'm worried about not being able to board planes etc if I show up with my visa in a cancelled passport. I've just spent 1.5 hours lost in labyrinth that is the the Australian Dept Immigration website ...forgotten how arduous all the protocols and forms are!

My plan is to get a same-day passport replacement in the days immediately after the wedding, so I'm assuming my old passport (with the PR visa) would be cancelled and back in my possession within the same day. Hoping that would give me time to get my visa 'reevidenced' in the new passport before we fly home, and will probably also take my marriage certificate when we're checking in.

Lordy it's time for a cup of tea or failing that a stiff drink!

roaringmouse Mar 20th 2011 1:53 am

When you return to Australia after marrying, you may also want to look into doing a Change of Name with the NSW Registry - according to the form you are eligible to apply to change your name if you were born overseas and have been resident in NSW for at least 3 consecutive years immediately before the date of application.

moneypenny20 Mar 20th 2011 4:18 am

Providing your return ticket is the same as the name on a current passport you'll be fine. Your visa doesn't expire until the date printed on the sticker, regardless of the cancelled passport.

Many people carry two passports, one expired with a visa and one current. Once you are back in Aus you can go to any DIAC office and they will put a new sticker in the new passport but it doesn't have to be done although it makes life easier if you do.

Pollyana Mar 20th 2011 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Rainydaze (Post 9250878)

You don't HAVE to change your passport if you don't want to; if you don't want the hassle of trying to change it all fast then don't change it. Fly back here on your maiden name and then change it all when you are back here and more relaxed. Or leave it as it is forever, perfectly legal. (wish I'd done that, the hassle of changing it back was unbelievable when I got divorced :o )
The other thing you need to check is - your tickets MUST match your passport, so unless you booked the return leg in your new name, if you change your passport you need to change the ticket - and whether you can do that depends on the fare class.

When you do change your name, take both passports and the marriage cert to DIAC here, they'll put a visa sticker in with the new name in the new passport, for free.

Rainydaze Mar 20th 2011 5:00 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 9251262)
When you return to Australia after marrying, you may also want to look into doing a Change of Name with the NSW Registry - according to the form you are eligible to apply to change your name if you were born overseas and have been resident in NSW for at least 3 consecutive years immediately before the date of application.

Thanks roaringmouse - that's good to know :)

Rainydaze Mar 20th 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9251418)
Providing your return ticket is the same as the name on a current passport you'll be fine. Your visa doesn't expire until the date printed on the sticker, regardless of the cancelled passport.

Many people carry two passports, one expired with a visa and one current. Once you are back in Aus you can go to any DIAC office and they will put a new sticker in the new passport but it doesn't have to be done although it makes life easier if you do.

Hey, that sounds like a more sensible plan! Thanks moneypenny :)

Rainydaze Mar 20th 2011 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9251451)
You don't HAVE to change your passport if you don't want to; if you don't want the hassle of trying to change it all fast then don't change it. Fly back here on your maiden name and then change it all when you are back here and more relaxed. Or leave it as it is forever, perfectly legal. (wish I'd done that, the hassle of changing it back was unbelievable when I got divorced :o )
The other thing you need to check is - your tickets MUST match your passport, so unless you booked the return leg in your new name, if you change your passport you need to change the ticket - and whether you can do that depends on the fare class.

When you do change your name, take both passports and the marriage cert to DIAC here, they'll put a visa sticker in with the new name in the new passport, for free.

Thanks Pollyanna, that's excellent advice - it never even occurred to me about the plane ticket! I've had a good think about this issue all day and I think I'm going to hold off on changing my passport until I'm back in Australia and there's no pressure!

Thanks to you all for your advice - much appreciated! :thumbup: