Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Getting citizenship: at what point is PR cancelled?

Getting citizenship: at what point is PR cancelled?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting citizenship: at what point is PR cancelled?

Hi All,

With my citizenship test coming up, and overseas travel plans to think of as well I was wondering if someone can set me straight on when my PR visa will be cancelled? Assuming either it will be:
  1. After notification that application has been approved OR
  2. After the ceremony itself

...probably the second one?? I'm guessing my travel will fall between the two.

Cheers, B
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting citizenship: at what point is PR cancelled?

I'm also in a similar situation - I'm pretty sure you're NOT a citizen until you make the oath - so it has to be after the ceremony.

I hope so anyway!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Hi B,

I'm awaiting my citizenship ceremony date and I have received a letter from the Dept of Immigration and Citizenship which states the following:

"The final step in becoming an Australian citizen is the making of a Pledge of commitment. You will not be an Australian citizen until you have made that pledge."

"Once you become an Australian citizen, your permanent resident visa will cease. An Australian passport is the preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship for entry to Australia. In very limited circumstances you may continue to travel on the passport of your other nationality. Further info as to your eligibility for an Australian Declaratory Visa is available at www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf. "

So, in brief - Yes 2. is correct.

Regards,
Caroline
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline G
Hi B,

I'm awaiting my citizenship ceremony date and I have received a letter from the Dept of Immigration and Citizenship which states the following:

"The final step in becoming an Australian citizen is the making of a Pledge of commitment. You will not be an Australian citizen until you have made that pledge."

"Once you become an Australian citizen, your permanent resident visa will cease. An Australian passport is the preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship for entry to Australia. In very limited circumstances you may continue to travel on the passport of your other nationality. Further info as to your eligibility for an Australian Declaratory Visa is available at www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf. "

So, in brief - Yes 2. is correct.

Regards,
Caroline
Great, thanks for that!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

As a new Australian citizen I can confirm that you only become an Australian citizen at the ceremony itself.
Your PR visa remains in force until you become an Australian citizen so yes - your PR visa will remain valid until you attend your citizenship ceremony.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi All,

With my citizenship test coming up, and overseas travel plans to think of as well I was wondering if someone can set me straight on when my PR visa will be cancelled? Assuming either it will be:
  1. After notification that application has been approved OR
  2. After the ceremony itself

...probably the second one?? I'm guessing my travel will fall between the two.

Cheers, B
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvt550
As a new Australian citizen I can confirm that you only become an Australian citizen at the ceremony itself.
Your PR visa remains in force until you become an Australian citizen so yes - your PR visa will remain valid until you attend your citizenship ceremony.
Second that,
I travelled 2 times in 3 months , being between my citizenship approval and citizenship oath. PR valid till ceremony....