Which to get first, Job or Visa?

Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all
Default Which to get first, Job or Visa?

Hi

This is a bit of a chicken and egg question! We are just beginning our Australia relocation, in that we have thought, talked, researched and now wondering where to start!
I am quite frankly scared of selling up, getting on a plane and going to the other side of the world without my Husband having a job. We have 3 small children (under5) and I have to think of food, bills etc.
We think OH job imay be on the skills shortage (he is in IT), but really am a bit overwhelmed with what to do first! We will consider any part of Australia.
So, do we start PR visa or go looking for a job to do a 457 visa? How easy is it to find a sponsering company?

Any advice gratefully received
Thanks

Last edited by Perdana; Aug 4th 2008 at 1:57 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which to get first, Job or Visa?

If you can get the skilled independent visa I would personally go for that one.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

A job offer carries extra points doesn't it? would it speed things up?
I just worry that if he had a job offer and we hadnt got our visa application in, they would withdraw the job offer?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I am in the final stages of the independent permanent visa application.
Having secured a job 18 months ago...they are keeping my post open for me
'till we arrive. Over 2.5 years it total it will be!
I think you should start everything NOW 'cos it will all take longer than you think!
I did not need extra points from having a job offer....But my advice is just
get the ball rolling...
We have been held up by little things...for instance...I got enough all the references from all the guys I have ever worked with for the skills assessment bit....Work places from years ago....I was held up with my most
recent employer...nice lass but she took over 13 weeks to give me a reference. Lovely reference it was just tooooo slow!
It has cost me loads of time! And possibly loads of money 'cos me starting this process PREDATES the credit crunch!
I used an agent who has helped spur me along...which helps!
HKA
x
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I think we need to find an agent and get the ball rolling! I have read a lot on here and have an idea who to use.
18m does seem a long time but thats my youngest's age so really, not long at all!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:40 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

You can get sponsored for a PR visa straight off. It's a 121 visa and is granted offshore.

Have a look at:-

www.dimia.gov.au

Good luck

Antney
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Coming in with PR gives you more security, so personally I think you should check out that route first. When we decided to come there was no way I would sell my house and uproot 3 kids without that kind of assurance - I know more than one person who has arrived on a 457, job has gone tits up and they then had to leave within 28 days as they couldn't find another sponsor. Yes, there are a lot of IT jobs around (we're in Sydney) but the recruitment process can be painfully slow and the more senior you are the more important it is to have contacts.

OH did secure a job from the UK (but really only because he had made contact with a few agents when we came on a reccie first) but on arrival it wasn't what had been promised. He quit after two weeks which was easy as we weren't relying on them for a visa, it would have been a nightmare otherwise.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your responses

We are going to start our PR application, but need to spend sometime working out which visa to go for! I have to say am very confused! A lot of numbers are mentioned on this site and the official ones.

Does anyone know where the IT positions are for the skilled migration, we havent seen what OH does on many recruitment sites.

Is there any point registering wth job agencies at this point? or wait a few months?

Apologies for all the questions, Thanks