Freelance and Working Holiday Visa

Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

RebeccaM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freelance and Working Holiday Visa

Hello all,

I wonder if I could ask a few questions and seek your advice. My boyfriend and I are relocating to Australia in the new year - he has a job at a local hospital and I am going on a working holiday visa (417). My day job is a editor, and I am hoping to continue working freelance once we move. However, I have been doing lots of research into freelancing and WHV and my mind has melted slightly with contradicting opinions and would welcome any advice you have. I understand that none of this is official, but any help would be great appreciated.

So in an ideal world, I would like keep my freelance clients from the UK, paid in to a UK account and keep doing work with them whilst in Aus. Firstly, is that possible on a WHV visa? Or Would it be better for that income to be paid into an Aus bank account?

I'd ideally love to work with Australian companies and individuals too. However, my first question is how does the 6 month limit work in practice? If I do a two week piece of work, invoice and then don't do any work with them for a month, and then invoice for another 2-week project, does that work out cumulatively as 4 weeks working with that company, or will it be treated as working for that company the start of project A to the end of project B, so more like 6/8 weeks?

I believe I have to set up an ABN once I have my tax number, and as Aus tax on a world-wide income both my UK and Aus income will need to be declared at the end of the year (but I believe UK/Aus have an agreement so I won't be taxed twice).

If the freelance gig isn't possible, I am happy to find more traditional work elsewhere, temp office job etc but it's more I want to keep my hand in to maintain my contacts in the industry etc. Plus, I love what I do!
We're just planning for 1 year so far, so not worried about permanent residency just yet (but who knows what that year will bring!), but I just to get my head round this year.

Would really appreciate any help that you can offer!
Thanks
Old Dec 20th 2018, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelance and Working Holiday Visa

Can't help with much of what you ask but I do know that you will NOT be taxed by Australia on your world-wide income. That only applies if you hold a permanent residency visa.

While you're on a WHV you are only taxed on Australian-sourced income. You should also note that on that visa you don't get any tax-free allowance. All your Australian income is taxed - the first $37k at 15% and then the rest is at the usual marginal rates.

If you happened to do some work, remotely, for UK-based clients while you were here and were paid for that work via a UK bank account, then I have no idea how the ATO would ever know about it. Not that I'm advocating that you should do such a thing, of course..
Old Dec 24th 2018, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Nicky,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's really useful to know - it's so nice to have some clarification.

On another note, one more quick questions - we've just realised that my visa will end sooner than my partner's job - his visa is obviously sorted, but I just wandered whether it's ever possible to extend a visa by a week? No big deal if not, but just curious...

Happy Holidays!
Rebecca
Old Dec 24th 2018, 12:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RebeccaM
Hi Nicky,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's really useful to know - it's so nice to have some clarification.

On another note, one more quick questions - we've just realised that my visa will end sooner than my partner's job - his visa is obviously sorted, but I just wandered whether it's ever possible to extend a visa by a week? No big deal if not, but just curious...

Happy Holidays!
Rebecca
A WHV? Sorry, no.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Good to know - earlier holiday for me!