Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the same

Wikiposts

Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the same

Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:39 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Default Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the same

"People also have an opportunity to access furnished housing trust accommodation for three months. On day one of arrival, should they wish to settle in Adelaide and take up that offer, public housing is available—it is not the Taj Mahal, but it is furnished, and the state government picks up the cost
of utilities. They do not need to worry about getting power and gas connected; it is all running. That is available for the first three months to give people a chance to get their feet on the ground and get comfortable." ........According to HAREN, Mr John Raymond, Director, Business and Skilled Migration, Department for Business, Manufacturing and Trade, South Australian State Government.

I wonder whether Victoria is having this fantastic arrangements to welcome the newly arrived migrants. Any thoughts pls share
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:13 pm
A Mate

Default Re: Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the same

Wonderful!! I wonder what the longtime applicants for similar public housing
in SA feel about it all!!?

Public Housing in Australia is nowhere near as readily available as it is in
the UK!!

"Prince1975" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > "People also have an opportunity to access furnished housing trust
    > accommodation for three months. On day one of arrival, should they wish
    > to settle in Adelaide and take up that offer, public housing is
    > available-it is not the Taj Mahal, but it is furnished, and the state
    > government picks up the cost
    > of utilities. They do not need to worry about getting power and gas
    > connected; it is all running. That is available for the first three
    > months to give people a chance to get their feet on the ground and get
    > comfortable." ........According to HAREN, Mr John Raymond, Director,
    > Business and Skilled Migration, Department for Business, Manufacturing
    > and Trade, South Australian State Government.
    > I wonder whether Victoria is having this fantastic arrangements to
    > welcome the newly arrived migrants. Any thoughts pls share
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:53 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the same

Originally Posted by A Mate
Wonderful!! I wonder what the longtime applicants for similar public housing
in SA feel about it all!!?

Public Housing in Australia is nowhere near as readily available as it is in
the UK!!

"Prince1975" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > "People also have an opportunity to access furnished housing trust
    > accommodation for three months. On day one of arrival, should they wish
    > to settle in Adelaide and take up that offer, public housing is
    > available-it is not the Taj Mahal, but it is furnished, and the state
    > government picks up the cost
    > of utilities. They do not need to worry about getting power and gas
    > connected; it is all running. That is available for the first three
    > months to give people a chance to get their feet on the ground and get
    > comfortable." ........According to HAREN, Mr John Raymond, Director,
    > Business and Skilled Migration, Department for Business, Manufacturing
    > and Trade, South Australian State Government.
    > I wonder whether Victoria is having this fantastic arrangements to
    > welcome the newly arrived migrants. Any thoughts pls share
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

any comments on this thread is highly appreciated
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the

Not sure it is actually FREE !

The SAHT On Arrival Accommodation offers newly arrived migrants a 12 week (maximum) tenancy in public housing that allows them to settle in South Australia before making more permanent accommodation arrangements.

All properties are situated in and around the Adelaide metropolitan area (Adelaide and suburbs) and charged at SAHT standard weekly rental rates. The properties are not necessarily close to the city centre, but usually have easy access to local shops, schools and public transport. These properties provide clean and basic accommodation.

SAHT Accommodation has been very popular since the inception of this service. There are limits to availability and housing cannot be guaranteed and will be allocated on a "first in - first served" basis.
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=641

Old Oct 24th 2004, 2:06 am
Romano

Default Re: Free furnished housing in SA for newly arrived migrants. Do Victoria provide the

They have Greeting service.. i might use that..

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prince1975
"People also have an opportunity to access furnished housing trust accommodation for three months. On day one of arrival, should they wish to settle in Adelaide and take up that offer, public housing is available—it is not the Taj Mahal, but it is furnished, and the state government picks up the cost
of utilities. They do not need to worry about getting power and gas connected; it is all running. That is available for the first three months to give people a chance to get their feet on the ground and get comfortable." ........According to HAREN, Mr John Raymond, Director, Business and Skilled Migration, Department for Business, Manufacturing and Trade, South Australian State Government.

I wonder whether Victoria is having this fantastic arrangements to welcome the newly arrived migrants. Any thoughts pls share
It's not FREE - just cheaper than commercially available accomodation. I think it's a fantastic idea and will hopefully be able to use it.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:18 pm
Rdarby

It's about a third of the cost of normal rental. It's generally in
good areas. If you contact them in enough time (you need to book a
month in advance anyway) they try to get you close to work. Since it's
furnished, it's an incredible help, also a psychological one - you
have a home when you get there. the meet and greet service is free,
and also helps. they picked me up, took me shopping, showed me around,
told me where banks, the tax office etc were, explained trains etc.
Well worth it.