Wikiposts

Form 1229 - who is authorised to witness?

Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

pumpkinpatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Form 1229 - who is authorised to witness?

I have to complete a Form 1229 - consent form to grant an Aust. visa to a child under 18 yrs old for my 3 kiddos. It must be switnessed by "a person who would normally be authorised to witness the signing of legal documents under the law of the country the applicant is in" (ie. UK). Does anyone know who can be a witness ... would a lawyer (who is not necessarily a notary, just a practising lawyer cos I have a mate who is one) or a GP do? TIA!!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:09 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Form 1229 - who is authorised to witness?

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch
I have to complete a Form 1229 - consent form to grant an Aust. visa to a child under 18 yrs old for my 3 kiddos. It must be switnessed by "a person who would normally be authorised to witness the signing of legal documents under the law of the country the applicant is in" (ie. UK). Does anyone know who can be a witness ... would a lawyer (who is not necessarily a notary, just a practising lawyer cos I have a mate who is one) or a GP do? TIA!!
Best to ask your mate. I know the statutory declaration had to be a public notary, but if it just states "someone who would normally be authorised to witness the signing of legal documents" then I would imagine that your lawyer mate would do fine. If he can stamp them, then even better. I think it is usually someone who would be recognised by a court, so doctors would be fine (although pricey).

With regard to getting certified copies (not what you asked I know, but on a similar vein), I was quoted by 3 solicitors per page. I got £7, £5 & £1. No prizes for guessing who I went with. They can charge what they like as they get to keep the money apparently.