British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   first visa visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/first-visa-visit-917352/)

jon111 Sep 16th 2018 6:08 pm

first visa visit?

hi all

so the good news finally got my visa YAY!!

it says for first entry by 2 july 2019 - not sure we will be ready by then but does this mean we go for a holiday to activate the visa? then do we need to do an rrv?

Dorothy Sep 16th 2018 11:02 pm

Re: first visa visit?

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12563794)
hi all

it says for first entry by 2 july 2019 - not sure we will be ready by then but does this mean we go for a holiday to activate the visa? then do we need to do an rrv?

Yes you can go on holiday. Everyone will have to go to validate the visa.
No you will not need a RRV. You have a valid visa.

Pollyana Sep 16th 2018 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12563794)
hi all

Once you have made the first entry your visa is valid for multiple entries for 5 years before you need a RRV (or citizineship). The grant notice should have a date on it "Must not enter after XX/XX/XXXX. You can travel on that visa until that date.

jon111 Sep 17th 2018 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12563869)
Once you have made the first entry your visa is valid for multiple entries for 5 years before you need a RRV (or citizineship). The grant notice should have a date on it "Must not enter after XX/XX/XXXX. You can travel on that visa until that date.

excellent thank you

now my next question is we got married last month and now my wife will have to change her name which obviously means a new passport. if i update my info on immi for it is that enough? as in it wont be a problem or do they send you confirmation etc? i assume the visa is based on passport number etc

Pollyana Sep 17th 2018 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12563909)
excellent thank you

now my next question is we got married last month and now my wife will have to change her name which obviously means a new passport. if i update my info on immi for it is that enough? as in it wont be a problem or do they send you confirmation etc? i assume the visa is based on passport number etc

Firstly, she doesn't have to change her name, she can keep her passport in her maiden name if she wants to.
If she does go ahead and get a new passport then you can upload the details and a cpy through your Immiaccount. I'd advise travelling with both passports though, just to be on the safe side.

carcajou Sep 18th 2018 10:47 pm

As others noted, many validate their visa with a holiday, and then move later on.

Any changes to your wife's name will have to also be updated through Immi. Sometimes they require it to be done by paper but the relevant instructions are all pretty clear. Not something to stress over.

spouse of scouse Sep 19th 2018 4:22 am

Your wife doesn't have to take your surname at all if she doesn't want to. She can keep her own surname, I did :)

Dorothy Sep 19th 2018 7:25 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12564926)
Your wife doesn't have to take your surname at all if she doesn't want to. She can keep her own surname, I did :)

The man can even take her surname!

jon111 Sep 20th 2018 9:52 pm

now dont get all new age on me! ;p

spouse of scouse Sep 20th 2018 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12565878)
now dont get all new age on me! ;p

Not so much new age, just wanted to reassure you as you wrote that your wife 'will have' to change her name :)

jon111 Sep 21st 2018 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12565890)
Not so much new age, just wanted to reassure you as you wrote that your wife 'will have' to change her name :)

ha well tbh she wants to take my name so its her choice :)

spouse of scouse Sep 21st 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12566291)
ha well tbh she wants to take my name so its her choice :)

I'm sure it's a fine choice too :starsmile:

spuddyo Sep 24th 2018 3:52 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12566302)
I'm sure it's a fine choice too :starsmile:

It depends if his name is Jon Shufflebottom. !!