Wikiposts

Fiance or de-facto ????

Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough
Default Fiance or de-facto ????

Me and my other half are in a relationship since 3 years but due to our circumstances living on a long-distance relationship and we could be together just for 1 month within the last 12 months.
He will be coming over in July and we will have an on-the-spot appointment with a complete application.
We are wondering if we should apply for prospective marriage cuz it might be easier to be approved or for a de-facto??? We do not have any joint agreements to show.....just a money-transfer from him to me, stats from friends, tickets, photos, hotel bills, incredible phone bills, emails, grocery bills i paid for when i was there.
I am to old for a WHV and I couldnt go more often or longer to OZ cuz my kids (from my previous marriage) had to go to school and my other half couldnt come here due to his busy job. So we had no chance to live together on a more permanent basis.
Would it make sense to apply for a de-facto with those facts and to shorten the whole process a bit or is it most likely to be refused??????
Any advice will be gladly appreciated!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance or de-facto ????

Originally Posted by greentreefrog
Me and my other half are in a relationship since 3 years but due to our circumstances living on a long-distance relationship and we could be together just for 1 month within the last 12 months.
He will be coming over in July and we will have an on-the-spot appointment with a complete application.
We are wondering if we should apply for prospective marriage cuz it might be easier to be approved or for a de-facto??? We do not have any joint agreements to show.....just a money-transfer from him to me, stats from friends, tickets, photos, hotel bills, incredible phone bills, emails, grocery bills i paid for when i was there.
I am to old for a WHV and I couldnt go more often or longer to OZ cuz my kids (from my previous marriage) had to go to school and my other half couldnt come here due to his busy job. So we had no chance to live together on a more permanent basis.
Would it make sense to apply for a de-facto with those facts and to shorten the whole process a bit or is it most likely to be refused??????
I think you would find you would be refused as you have to prove that you are living together in a spousal type relationship. Otherwise anyone could apply for it if you just had to prove that you had been in a relationship for 12 months
Old Jun 8th 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I think you would find you would be refused as you have to prove that you are living together in a spousal type relationship. Otherwise anyone could apply for it if you just had to prove that you had been in a relationship for 12 months
hm thats what i thought but on the other hand they want to see that a separation is just temporary and thats what it is in our case.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greentreefrog
The main difference is whether you want to get married. if you come on a fiance visa you are given a few months in which to move, get married, and apply for a spouse visa. In a case like your it would seem the easiet option, as long as you are planning on marrying. If you are going for the fiance visa the fact that you have been apart will not better.
If you intend to just stay as a de facto couple you will need to get the de facto visa. I would suggest getting advice from an agent - try George Lombard - as to the best way to present the details of the separation, if you are going for de facto.There are cases where they will grant the visa if you have been forced to live apart for work reasons etc. HOWEVER - in those circumstances who have to show plenty of proof of a solid relationship - which could be difficult if you don't have stuff like joint bils.

Personally I would go for fiance, much easier, especially in the circumstances you describe.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The main difference is whether you want to get married. if you come on a fiance visa you are given a few months in which to move, get married, and apply for a spouse visa. In a case like your it would seem the easiet option, as long as you are planning on marrying. If you are going for the fiance visa the fact that you have been apart will not better.
If you intend to just stay as a de facto couple you will need to get the de facto visa. I would suggest getting advice from an agent - try George Lombard - as to the best way to present the details of the separation, if you are going for de facto.There are cases where they will grant the visa if you have been forced to live apart for work reasons etc. HOWEVER - in those circumstances who have to show plenty of proof of a solid relationship - which could be difficult if you don't have stuff like joint bils.

Personally I would go for fiance, much easier, especially in the circumstances you describe.
Thanks Pollyana for your help!
I had an initial interview with my case officer on the phone and its the best to go for fiance. So we will do that especially as we dont have much time left due to our appointment for the interview in July. I am pretty confident now that it will work out and that i get my fiance-visa that day.