Wikiposts

Fed Police Check for Perm Spouse Visa

Old Jan 13th 2006, 3:36 pm
Banned

SalfordRedDownunder will become famous soon enough
Default Fed Police Check for Perm Spouse Visa

As the two years approaches for those on the temp spouse vias for time to finalise to become permanent status, DIMIA asks for a Federal police clearance to made, is that correct?

OK, as Ive read a few posts on this subject already, some have stated that DIMIA give you a limited period to gather the info for that final application (like 50 days or something). SOme also mentioned that the police checks take upto 6 weeks to be done?

So If I was to say apply for my Fed police check a couple of months before DIMIA contact me (my 2 year aniversary is around mid Nov 2006) would they still be valid to present to DIMIA as I would already have them? Is this clear?

I want to do that to save time and get my final application in asap you see.

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2006, 5:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed Police Check for Perm Spouse Visa

Originally Posted by SalfordRedDownunder
As the two years approaches for those on the temp spouse vias for time to finalise to become permanent status, DIMIA asks for a Federal police clearance to made, is that correct?

OK, as Ive read a few posts on this subject already, some have stated that DIMIA give you a limited period to gather the info for that final application (like 50 days or something). SOme also mentioned that the police checks take upto 6 weeks to be done?

So If I was to say apply for my Fed police check a couple of months before DIMIA contact me (my 2 year aniversary is around mid Nov 2006) would they still be valid to present to DIMIA as I would already have them? Is this clear?

I want to do that to save time and get my final application in asap you see.

Thanks
I received my papers for the application last week. They were sent out on December 28th and from that date I have been given 60 days (ie the end of Feb) to supply the stuff. The end of Feb is the date my PR can be granted, at the earliest.
My AFP check - I sent it off in December, took 4 weeks in total, and thats with Christmas in the middle.
If yours is due Nov 2006, I would send for the police check in September. Also, be aware that dependent on countries you have visited/are a citizen of, you may need police checks from elsewhere, or another medical.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 6:42 pm
Ptlabs

First point to note is that no matter how quickly you respond to
DIMIA's request for documents for your second stage processing, you
won't get a case officer until nearer to 2 years after your temporary
visa was lodged. No decision on your permanent visa can be made until
then, normally.

AFP checks presently take about 2 weeks to process. You could apply for
your AFP checks in advance, so long as it's not way too early. AFP
checks are usually valid for 1 year from date of issue.

Peter

Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:30 pm
Ptlabs

Pollyana,

For the second stage processing, health checks are not normally asked
for, unless the case officer has reason to believe one is necessary.

Case officers may well ask for overseas police checks if the applicant
has been out of Australia long enough to trigger one. Australia doesn't
have a policy where a police check is needed from the country of
citizenship regardless of the length of residence in the country of
citizenship - this is a practice of the NZIS however, I believe.

Peter
--
Peter Chiam
ptlabs[at]gmail.com
Migration Agent Registration No. 0427067

Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ptlabs
Pollyana,

For the second stage processing, health checks are not normally asked
for, unless the case officer has reason to believe one is necessary.

Case officers may well ask for overseas police checks if the applicant
has been out of Australia long enough to trigger one. Australia doesn't
have a policy where a police check is needed from the country of
citizenship regardless of the length of residence in the country of
citizenship - this is a practice of the NZIS however, I believe.

Peter
--
Peter Chiam
ptlabs[at]gmail.com
Migration Agent Registration No. 0427067
Hi Peter - good to see you back!

My comments are based on a sheet received with my PR forms; this lists various countries and states whether or not a medical is needed after visiting them - it also says that if you have spent any time in a country of which you are a citizen, since the grant of the temp vias, then a police check is needed. Also police checks may be needed if 12 months cumulative is spent in other countries.
This may be a new thing, as I haven't seen mention on here previously of this sheet being included?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi Peter - good to see you back!

My comments are based on a sheet received with my PR forms; this lists various countries and states whether or not a medical is needed after visiting them - it also says that if you have spent any time in a country of which you are a citizen, since the grant of the temp vias, then a police check is needed. Also police checks may be needed if 12 months cumulative is spent in other countries.
This may be a new thing, as I haven't seen mention on here previously of this sheet being included?
So in other words, if I went back to the UK for a holiday for a few weeks, I would have to supply DIMIA with a police check even I was only out of Oz for a few weeks?

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:12 pm
Home and Happy

So in other words, if I went back to the UK for a holiday for a few weeks, I would have to supply DIMIA with a police check even I was only out of Oz for a few weeks?

Thanks
If you are hold UK citizenship, yes. I went back for three weeks in October, and I needed to get a UK check done.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ptlabs
First point to note is that no matter how quickly you respond to
DIMIA's request for documents for your second stage processing, you
won't get a case officer until nearer to 2 years after your temporary
visa was lodged. No decision on your permanent visa can be made until
then, normally.

AFP checks presently take about 2 weeks to process. You could apply for
your AFP checks in advance, so long as it's not way too early. AFP
checks are usually valid for 1 year from date of issue.

Peter
How do you go about applying for an AFP check? Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:12 am
Home and Happy

How do you go about applying for an AFP check? Thanks
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1101.pdf
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks Pollyana
On that pink form it asks for all address in the past 10 years. do they mean even UK addresses or just Australian?
Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:38 am
Home and Happy

I put the lot, UK as well, so they could see how long I'd been in Australia for one thing!