Wikiposts

FAO ALAN - Any Accountants out there ?

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

ozpotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FAO ALAN - Any Accountants out there ?

Hi Alan,

You may be able to advise here but I would be interested to hear from any accountants who have lodged or are planning to lodge skills assessments.

Im qualified UK ACCA (now FCCA after 5 years membership) and am about to submit my skills assessment to the ICAA.

Having read loads of threads regarding skills assessments, I am a little uneasy on how simple my application appears to be. According to the ICAA website, the application form only requires copies of membership certificates, exam results, a letter from ACCA confirming membership, and a current CV. They are also quoting a processing time of 20-24 weeks.

Could it be as simple as this and is this timeline accurate?

Cheers OP
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:10 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAO ALAN - Any Accountants out there ?

That looks about right ... although we are seeing processing times through the ICAA more akin to 2 weeks than 22 ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by ozpotty
Hi Alan,

You may be able to advise here but I would be interested to hear from any accountants who have lodged or are planning to lodge skills assessments.

Im qualified UK ACCA (now FCCA after 5 years membership) and am about to submit my skills assessment to the ICAA.

Having read loads of threads regarding skills assessments, I am a little uneasy on how simple my application appears to be. According to the ICAA website, the application form only requires copies of membership certificates, exam results, a letter from ACCA confirming membership, and a current CV. They are also quoting a processing time of 20-24 weeks.

Cheers OP
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Alan Collett
That looks about right ... although we are seeing processing times through the ICAA more akin to 2 weeks than 22 ...

Best regards.
Thanks Alan. Although the ICAA website says 20-24 weeks for overseas assessments, are you suggesting this is incorrect?

If the 2 weeks is a more accurate time line, and having now found an assurer, should I now contact John or Helen at gomatilda to get my class 139 application moving?

Thanks OP
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:15 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again OP.

Recognise that the timeline is an average of applications that include those from accountants in jurisdictions that don't have mutual recognition arrangements (such as exist between the UK and Australia). I'm not promising anything, but I'd expect a processing result somewhat quicker than 20 to 24 weeks ...

If you would like to take matters forward then yes, please feel able to contact John (who would usually be the person to liaise with regarding a skills assessment application to the ICAA) - as you might know already you can telephone him on 023 80 488777.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan. Although the ICAA website says 20-24 weeks for overseas assessments, are you suggesting this is incorrect?

If the 2 weeks is a more accurate time line, and having now found an assurer, should I now contact John or Helen at gomatilda to get my class 139 application moving?

Thanks OP
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

devkop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I applied for my skills assessment to both ICAA and CPA Australia. ICAA tooks about 20 weeks and CPA Australia had my skills assessment ready in abt 7 weeks. Amazing.

If you plan to pursue your CA in Australia then it makes sense to go thru ICAA otherwise CPA Australia is efficient enuf.

The docs u specified look right, just make sure you certify each page of the document otherwise they will be returned to u

Hope this helps

Dev
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello OP

I am ACCA qualified and applied in Feb to the ICAA - it took 3 Months and 1 day to get it back - time line link below:

http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...pp.jsp?id=1613

If you check out the above website you should be able to get an idea of how long it takes - I did not use an agent for the skills assessment, but I am for my visa....

All the best
Jana
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Collett has already posted to the effect that the ICAA time should be less than you have been quoted - but no guarantees.

NIA are an alternative - http://www.nia.org.au

Accountancy skill assessment is based solely on formal qualifications. You'll need to show DIMIA you meet the work experience requirements when you apply for migration proper.

Jeremy

Cheers OP
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by devkop
Hi,

I applied for my skills assessment to both ICAA and CPA Australia. ICAA tooks about 20 weeks and CPA Australia had my skills assessment ready in abt 7 weeks. Amazing.

If you plan to pursue your CA in Australia then it makes sense to go thru ICAA otherwise CPA Australia is efficient enuf.

The docs u specified look right, just make sure you certify each page of the document otherwise they will be returned to u

Hope this helps

Dev
Hi Dev,

Are you ACCA or Chartered with a degree? I thought that ICAA was my best bet because I thought they were the only Australian bodies who support ACCA and I have no degree or tertiary qualification.

Cheers OP

Don't CPA and NIA require degree
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JAJ
Alan Collett has already posted to the effect that the ICAA time should be less than you have been quoted - but no guarantees.

NIA are an alternative - http://www.nia.org.au

Accountancy skill assessment is based solely on formal qualifications. You'll need to show DIMIA you meet the work experience requirements when you apply for migration proper.

Jeremy
Thanks, I don't think i will have a problem with experience as I've been doing my current job with the same company for 13 years.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 6:30 am

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

OP

I'm FCCA as well and my experience last year was that this was straight forward - it was as easy as it said (I emailed them a couple of times) and they replied back to me within a fornight (it had taken me three times as long to get ACCA to send me certfied copies of my exam results!).

Here's my timeline if it helps :-

http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...App.jsp?id=999

Chris
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

CPAA does require a degree equivalent to an Australian bachelors (from recognised overseas professionals), but NIA does not.

Jeremy

Hi Dev,

Are you ACCA or Chartered with a degree? I thought that ICAA was my best bet because I thought they were the only Australian bodies who support ACCA and I have no degree or tertiary qualification.

Cheers OP

Don't CPA and NIA require degree