Wikiposts

Family allowance

Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:35 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family allowance

Just rang social services regarding allowance. The tel. number to use is 0845 3021454. They will forward by international money order any monies owed. You also by law have to hand in your book. Rang also gas/electric. Telephone them on the last day with reading's, they will contact you in Oz(in our case) with either bill or credit. Likewise council tax/telephone/water.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family allowance

Originally posted by brox
Just rang social services regarding allowance. The tel. number to use is 0845 3021454. They will forward by international money order any monies owed. You also by law have to hand in your book. Rang also gas/electric. Telephone them on the last day with reading's, they will contact you in Oz(in our case) with either bill or credit. Likewise council tax/telephone/water.
Thanks for that - Quite useful

Regards

Terry
Old Apr 14th 2003, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Congrats on your recent visa.

We'll be leaving for Sydney in August/September (if the blinkin' postman ever delivers the yellow envelope!) and my wife will be giving birth in November. So the baby will be born in Sydney, and will have dual nationality.

Do you know, will we be entitled to UK Child Benefit? We would want it paid by Standing Order into our UK account.

Thanks,

Gary.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 7:43 am
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mrladyboy
Hi,
Congrats on your recent visa.

We'll be leaving for Sydney in August/September (if the blinkin' postman ever delivers the yellow envelope!) and my wife will be giving birth in November. So the baby will be born in Sydney, and will have dual nationality.

Do you know, will we be entitled to UK Child Benefit? We would want it paid by Standing Order into our UK account.

Thanks,

Gary.
Congrat's on all count's! I would say no because we cannot claim for our two. If you leave the country even for 7 weeks by law you have to inform the social. We have had to give in the book by law. Once you leave that's it..
Neil
Old Apr 16th 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

You may be able to claim family tax benefit or child care benefit on arrival, although all other benefits, you have to be there for two years.

check out www.centrelink.gov.au for further details

I believe there are other child linked benefits too, we have looked into this as we have a two year old.

Teresa

Heading for Perth
Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Swifts
You may be able to claim family tax benefit or child care benefit on arrival, although all other benefits, you have to be there for two years.

check out www.centrelink.gov.au for further details

I believe there are other child linked benefits too, we have looked into this as we have a two year old.

Teresa

Heading for Perth
Thanks - will have to check that one out on arrival in Sydney.

It's clear from the above that we *shouldn't* claim Child Benefit. But, just out of curiousity of course, I'm interested to know how they would realise we were out of the country. After all, we'll have mail redirection to my Mum's house, she can post letters on our behalf with a UK postmark, and since Child Benefit isn't means tested, do they really go looking too carefully?

Even if they cross-reference to the Taxman, all they would see is that my wife wasn't earning. Which is hardly unusual for a new mum either.

It's not so much about the £16 or whatever the amount is per week these days, but also my wife's NI stamps would be paid too.

Any thoughts anyone? (Apart from moral ones please....)