Failed Meds

Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Failed Meds

OMG I failed my medical or at least didnt meet the health criteria.:curse:

Devastated.

I failed because of the cost of a medication I am on (its very expensive) and I have been given 28 days to give Australia House good enough reasons why they should grant me a visa anyway.

Does anybody have any experience of this or has gone through this before. I could use some advice.

How compassionate are they ( I have some compelling arguments)?

Im not finished fighting for our future yet!!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice
Default Re: Failed Meds

So sorry you are facing this.
Is there anybody at all who can help?
Are you with an agent? Are you feeeling that you could give a little more info on-line? Maybe that might get a response from somebody else with a similar condition?
I am crossing everything for you! Lou
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lou, no Im not with an agent because up to now everything has been smooth sailing. I'm not even sure an agent could help me because the decision has been made and it IS fair.

I was not told that my application failed on any other grounds.

I have a medical condition relating to my back that plays a minimal part in my life and is controlled by a wonder medication. However a years supply at the moment costs approx $18 000.

Now my usage has dropped since my meds by half so thats one plus I can go back to them on.

I guess where I am is that I have to prove to AH that the 'investment' so to speak will be worth their while in the long run. I believe I'll have to rely most on the compassionate arguments that both my Fiance and I have which of course im not prepared to discuss online.

Last edited by Chief1980; Aug 19th 2008 at 9:45 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:00 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chief1980
OMG I failed my medical or at least didnt meet the health criteria.:curse:

Devastated.

I failed because of the cost of a medication I am on (its very expensive) and I have been given 28 days to give Australia House good enough reasons why they should grant me a visa anyway.

Does anybody have any experience of this or has gone through this before. I could use some advice.

How compassionate are they ( I have some compelling arguments)?

Im not finished fighting for our future yet!!

Sorry to hear this.

Hope that they do have a compassionate ear.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Perhaps you should try to contact some of the agents listed here.

Perhaps Pollyana can help you with these contacts.

Regards

Silverski
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chief1980
Thanks Lou, no Im not with an agent because up to now everything has been smooth sailing. I'm not even sure an agent could help me because the decision has been made and it IS fair.

I was not told that my application failed on any other grounds.

I have a medical condition relating to my back that plays a minimal part in my life and is controlled by a wonder medication. However a years supply at the moment costs approx $18 000.

Now my usage has dropped since my meds by half so thats one plus I can go back to them on.

I guess where I am is that I have to prove to AH that the 'investment' so to speak will be worth their while in the long run. I believe I'll have to rely most on the compassionate arguments that both my Fiance and I have which of course im not prepared to discuss online.
OMG, I think you are the first spouse visa failure on Med grounds we have had on here.

Get yourself an agent to talk to - may require some cash, but its the way you'll have to go I'm afraid.

Personal recommendation is George Lombard I have a friend to whom he gave excellent advice on medical grounds, and I've consulted him myself in the past
Another possible is Peter Bollard, who is often recommended for medical issues - http://users.bigpond.net.au/onk/

Good luck, and don't give up yet
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of this. As Polly said, please contact either George Lombard or Peter Bollard. Both have very good reputations.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

Have a search on the New Zealand forum for failed medicals. I remember reading about a couple who argued their case by working out how much they would contribute to the economy via tax etc over whatever number of years they would work until retirement. This outweighed their medical costs and they were successful in getting their visa.... worth a shot?!

Good Luck
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flan
Have a search on the New Zealand forum for failed medicals. I remember reading about a couple who argued their case by working out how much they would contribute to the economy via tax etc over whatever number of years they would work until retirement. This outweighed their medical costs and they were successful in getting their visa.... worth a shot?!

Good Luck
Actually I was thinking of this because I reckon MY meds will cost approx $9000 per year however the income tax both myself and my fiance would pay far outweigh that. Add to that future stamp duty on houses, GSt etc I think its a fairly compelling argument.

I'll think about the agent and I'll let ye all know how I go. Thanks for your help!!!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I am on medication for epilepsy which costs apparently about $90 per month. I haven't had a seizure for 8 years and am fully controlled by the medication and, have already accepted that I would be liable for costs anyway. Hope it doesn't prove to be an issued when it comes to meds though. It does bring home how lucky we all are to have the NHS even though we all moan about it, it's truly fab. Hope you get things sorted soon.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

JBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud ofJBlokeUK has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about this Chief, try what others have suggested and im sure it'll come good. I currently have to provide an assessment by a psychiatrist as I have suffered from depression in the past and when I spoke to my CO she said its very rare to get denied on medical grounds, which makes your case quite a surprise.

She did however say that failed meds can get overturned if you can show that you wont be a hinderence and that you can work etc etc.

Keep your chin up and dont give up!!!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

clbmanc is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure the doctor would have thought of this but just in case...Don't know what meds you're on but just a few ideas...
I don't suppose the drug you're on has a generic version? What I mean is that we often use the branded name for a drug eg: nurofen as opposed to ibuprofen. Nurofen is much more expensive than ibuprofen. I'm sure this would have been covered by your doctor.
If the drug you're on is relatively new, the company which produced it have a patent on it. Not sure how long it is for Australia but part of your argument could be that the cost wouldn't be for life but until the 'owners' of the medicine loose their patent. Your drug could be coming towards the end of it's patent.
Hope that makes sense
Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi my family didnt pass med but they did ask for an experts opion of drug/hospital cost over 10 year we paid for this & we then got the ok.We are now living in qld, we were going to try the NZ route if we didnt get visas, there allways seems to be another route good luck GARY
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clbmanc
I'm sure the doctor would have thought of this but just in case...Don't know what meds you're on but just a few ideas...
I don't suppose the drug you're on has a generic version? What I mean is that we often use the branded name for a drug eg: nurofen as opposed to ibuprofen. Nurofen is much more expensive than ibuprofen. I'm sure this would have been covered by your doctor.
If the drug you're on is relatively new, the company which produced it have a patent on it. Not sure how long it is for Australia but part of your argument could be that the cost wouldn't be for life but until the 'owners' of the medicine loose their patent. Your drug could be coming towards the end of it's patent.
Hope that makes sense
Good luck!
Not a hope of a generic Im afraid. This is a high tech medication from Wyeth and as far as Im aware it has only been on the market 5 years. I think a patent lasts 30 years but I could be wrong. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Townley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant futureTownley has a brilliant future

Another idea for you is to consider taking out Private Healthcare Insurance... not sure whether it would help you but it's something the government seems to be attempting to persuade people to do. I doubt as its a current condition that the PHI would cover the meds for your back (you could ask i guess but i reckon the premium would be high if they did) but the 'argument' you can put to your CO is that by taking out PHI in the event that you need any other medical treatment you would be covered by your PHI... so reducing the strain on medicare in other areas?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

jatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Townley
Another idea for you is to consider taking out Private Healthcare Insurance... not sure whether it would help you but it's something the government seems to be attempting to persuade people to do. I doubt as its a current condition that the PHI would cover the meds for your back (you could ask i guess but i reckon the premium would be high if they did) but the 'argument' you can put to your CO is that by taking out PHI in the event that you need any other medical treatment you would be covered by your PHI... so reducing the strain on medicare in other areas?
Find the latest evidence on your medical condition i.e. what medical advances are in progress now or possible in the future which would have a positive impact on the annual cost of treatment - Hope this helps...just collect all pertinent evidence and then prepare a case from all angles. I would agree with others that it would be a good investment to pay for advice from an agent. A couple of names have already been mentioned above. GOOD LUCK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.