Wikiposts

Extra Points Clarification

Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

yetimonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extra Points Clarification

Hello everyone,

I have now been trying to emigrate to Australia for the best part of 4 years and unfortunately due to the DIAC constantly moving the goal posts I'm still stuck in the UK.

I am now ready to try again and have sent an EOI via SkillSelect. My job is on the Canberra state sponsorship list so I have the option of applying for the 190 visa.

I have a few questions that I hope some lovely person out there can answer, these are as follows:

1) I have calculated that I have 50 points (25 for age, 15 for work experience and 10 for IELTS) when I completed my EOI the DIAC are saying I have 60 points (55+5 from SS) and eligible to apply for the 190 visa once invited. My question is this, are the extra points coming from the 10 points allocated for successful skills assessment?

2) If the answer to question 1 is yes then I have another question, I received my successful skills assessment from the TRA in August 2010 and went down the route E pathway, I went through a company called www.australianskillassessments.com and got my skills assessed and confirmed to be of AQF standard and I have a certificate to prove it. My question is this, the DIAC now say that you have to have studied an AQF in Australia for it to count, so does this mean my TRA result is invalid (no extra 10 points)?

Just to clarify, when I calculated my total points I only get 50, but my EOI says I have 60. I am not claiming on my EOI that I have an AQF or any extra educational qualifications, I have answered no to this section.

I'm a bit reluctant to start the process and throw money at Canberra and the DIAC respectively to get the sponsorship moving, but don't want to miss the opportunity. I have read that the TRA are offering a MIGRATION POINTS ADVICE service for the magical fee of $300, is this something I need to do, that will finally convince the bureaucrats that with over 16 years experience I can in fact do my job to a satisfactory level

Any advice the gurus out there can give will be greatly received. I'm just so frustrated, after 4 years and a lot of time and money I could really do with some good news.

Many thanks in advance
Chris.