Extending Visa on medical grounds

Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Extending Visa on medical grounds

Hi there

I'd be really grateful for any advice!

My sister (UK Citizen) is visiting me in Melbourne. She traveled on a 3 month ETA 601 visa. Unfortunately after 2 weeks of fantastic tourism she fell suddenly ill, and has been in hospital for over 3 weeks now. The doctors advise that she won't be able to travel for at least another 3 months. This time frame would take her over her visa expiry date in April.

I have been on the phone to the UK consulate in Melbourne and have contacted Home Affairs here. Unfortunately they can't really advice much. Has anybody known of a similar situation?

I have worked out my sister can't apply for an extension on the ETA or get an e-visitor as you need to apply from outside Australia. One suggestion was to get a Bridging Visa E (50), but to qualify for this she needs to be unlawful, i.e. let her current visa expire, and that may hurt her chances of ever returning.

Home Affairs hinted there maybe an alternative - but they're not allowed to tell me which is so frustrating!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Jim

Old Feb 11th 2020, 3:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending Visa on medical grounds

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Hi there

I'd be really grateful for any advice!

My sister (UK Citizen) is visiting me in Melbourne. She traveled on a 3 month ETA 601 visa. Unfortunately after 2 weeks of fantastic tourism she fell suddenly ill, and has been in hospital for over 3 weeks now. The doctors advise that she won't be able to travel for at least another 3 months. This time frame would take her over her visa expiry date in April.

I have been on the phone to the UK consulate in Melbourne and have contacted Home Affairs here. Unfortunately they can't really advice much. Has anybody known of a similar situation?

I have worked out my sister can't apply for an extension on the ETA or get an e-visitor as you need to apply from outside Australia. One suggestion was to get a Bridging Visa E (50), but to qualify for this she needs to be unlawful, i.e. let her current visa expire, and that may hurt her chances of ever returning.

Home Affairs hinted there maybe an alternative - but they're not allowed to tell me which is so frustrating!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Jim
Hi Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's illness. The medical treatment visa subclass 602 sounds like it would be the one to go for. It can be applied for onshore (if the applicant is already in Australia), and costs $315. Best of luck to you and your sister, I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Medical Treatment Visa
This temporary visa is for people to travel to or remain longer in Australia for medical treatment...
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-602#Overview
Old Feb 11th 2020, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Jim, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's illness. The medical treatment visa subclass 602 sounds like it would be the one to go for. It can be applied for onshore (if the applicant is already in Australia), and costs $315. Best of luck to you and your sister, I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Medical Treatment Visa
This temporary visa is for people to travel to or remain longer in Australia for medical treatment...
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-602#Overview
That's the one ...
Old Feb 11th 2020, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Hi

Thanks so much for that.

I thought that visa was for people coming to Aus for medical treatment only, but now see you can get it here.

Do you think you have to do police checks/ medicals etc if you already have a current visa?

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2020, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Hi

Thanks so much for that.

I thought that visa was for people coming to Aus for medical treatment only, but now see you can get it here.

Do you think you have to do police checks/ medicals etc if you already have a current visa?

Thanks
There is, logically, a medical requirement, but not in the usual sense of having to pass one. Police checks should not be required. I’d suggest some professional help with this to ensure you get it right as there are pitfalls with this visa.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great thanks for that Paul.

I'll see my sister later and see what she wants to do.

Thanks

Jim