Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Extending PR visa & good state high schools in Brisbane???

Wikiposts

Extending PR visa & good state high schools in Brisbane???

Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

zander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending PR visa & good state high schools in Brisbane???

Can anyone give any guidance about whether it's possible to extend the validity of a PR visa?

We emigrated to Melbourne in Sept 2005 and stayed for a year. I had a good job and was settling in well but unfortunately due to circumstances that I won't bore you with (family stuff mostly) it didn't work out for us and we returned to the UK in Sept 06 (big mistake, I think!). Our PR visas are valid until Apr 09.

I'm keen to give it another go (wife & family not surprisingly very cautious about the prospect) but as the first stab at settling in Oz cost us so much, I don't think financially we will have enough capital to return and set ourselves up again (Brisbane maybe) by the time our visas expire. Also issues with my daughter's schooling - she didn't have a particularly good experience of school in Melbourne and I wouldn't want to make a similar mistake again. Anyone know any good state high schools in the Brisbane metropolitan area?

Final question - if we go back to Oz as visitors before our PR visas run out, would we need visitor visas, given that at that point we wouldn't be intending to stay permanently and PR visas aren't meant to cover visits?
If we do need visitor visas would they have the effect of cancelling our PR visas?
I thought another visit may help us to make a final decision.

Grateful for any advice anyone can give.

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending PR visa & good state high schools in Brisbane???

Originally Posted by zander
Can anyone give any guidance about whether it's possible to extend the validity of a PR visa?

We emigrated to Melbourne in Sept 2005 and stayed for a year. I had a good job and was settling in well but unfortunately due to circumstances that I won't bore you with (family stuff mostly) it didn't work out for us and we returned to the UK in Sept 06 (big mistake, I think!). Our PR visas are valid until Apr 09.

I'm keen to give it another go (wife & family not surprisingly very cautious about the prospect) but as the first stab at settling in Oz cost us so much, I don't think financially we will have enough capital to return and set ourselves up again (Brisbane maybe) by the time our visas expire. Also issues with my daughter's schooling - she didn't have a particularly good experience of school in Melbourne and I wouldn't want to make a similar mistake again. Anyone know any good state high schools in the Brisbane metropolitan area?

Final question - if we go back to Oz as visitors before our PR visas run out, would we need visitor visas, given that at that point we wouldn't be intending to stay permanently and PR visas aren't meant to cover visits?
If we do need visitor visas would they have the effect of cancelling our PR visas?
I thought another visit may help us to make a final decision.
Don't even think about any kind of visitor visa unless you want your PR visa cancelled. The PR visa is good for all entries to Australia before its expiry date.

Is it possible to get an RRV? If you don't have 2 years in Australia (as a PR) in the last 5 years, you need to peruse carefully the requirements outlined on form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Be warned. It is much easier to get a concessional 5 year RRV if you are clearly living in Australia. Just visiting won't do, however.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

zander is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much JAJ for a very helpful reply especially re the visitor visa, that's good to know.

Having read the form you directed me to, I'm not too optimistic about our chances re a 5 year RRV. The 3 month RRV might be a go'er but that all depends on what the immigration dept regard as compelling and compassionate circumstances for departing Australia and being absent for what would be over 2 years if we go back at the end of next year.

My gut feeling tells me that the facts that we chose the wrong place to settle, don't as yet have enough capital to set ourselves up as we would wish and that I don't want to disrupt my daughter's education while she's studying for GCSEs won't cut the ice.

Do you (or does anyone else) have any clue as to what kind of circumstances would be regarded as compelling/compassionate?

Cheers
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zander
Thanks so much JAJ for a very helpful reply especially re the visitor visa, that's good to know.

Having read the form you directed me to, I'm not too optimistic about our chances re a 5 year RRV. The 3 month RRV might be a go'er but that all depends on what the immigration dept regard as compelling and compassionate circumstances for departing Australia and being absent for what would be over 2 years if we go back at the end of next year.

My gut feeling tells me that the facts that we chose the wrong place to settle, don't as yet have enough capital to set ourselves up as we would wish and that I don't want to disrupt my daughter's education while she's studying for GCSEs won't cut the ice.

Do you (or does anyone else) have any clue as to what kind of circumstances would be regarded as compelling/compassionate?
You won't get the answer on an online forum, sorry. Maybe have a consultation with Ian Harrop : http://www.ianharrop.co.uk

But the bottom line is likely to be that if you remain outside Australia you will likely struggle to meet the criteria for a resident return visa and if that's refused, your PR is gone.

Did you read what it said about getting a 5 year RRV based on "substantial ties" for those who do not have the full 2 years?