Wikiposts

Exporting Cars - Tax??

Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough
Default Exporting Cars - Tax??

Anyone know much about this, if we emigrate, we would like to take our car, a 1996 Landrover Discovery (heard they are quite expensive to buy in Aus??), just wanted to know how much it would cost to take it with us, and how much we would get taxed.

Cheers in advance.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Bertrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exporting Cars - Tax??

Originally posted by pukka pom
Anyone know much about this, if we emigrate, we would like to take our car, a 1996 Landrover Discovery (heard they are quite expensive to buy in Aus??), just wanted to know how much it would cost to take it with us, and how much we would get taxed.

Cheers in advance.
Hi,

Check out www.customs.gov.au and follow the appropriate links. From what i can gather on certain cars its still a significant saving importing them from the UK than buying in Aus but they do hit you hard.

e.g £10000 Car
£1500 Customs Duty at 15%
£1000 Transport & Ins ??

Add that up to equal the value of taxable income, therefore
£12500. Now take 10% of this sum to give you the Goods and Services Tax (GST) £1250.

So your total taxation is £1250(GST) + £1500(CD) = £2750

So in total to bring a £10k car in your looking at roughly £12750 plus transportation. £14k all in?

Please correct me anyone if thats wrong but thats how i read it.

But like you say European cars are so expensive especially when you look at the prestigious end of the market but if your car is worth more than $57009 they tax you even more!! Called a Luxury car tax so you could pay even more.

I have been looking at importing a Boxster and on a £25k car it will probably end up all in at £33k but will stay save me £7k + if i bring it over rather than buy one in Aus, so just have to work out your sums!!

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:26 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pukka pom

Cheers in advance.
I've been looking into this for ourselves and a lot of people say it's not worth the hassle unless it is a classic car. They say that people don't like to buy imported cars in oz so the reslae value would be nil. Remember that unless you are going across country do you really need a 4 x 4 as the speed limits are a lot less out in oz and you would use up more fuel. Can you get the parts easily out in oz?

The other thing I was told was to compare what your car would be worth out in oz and if it is worth it after the extra cost of importing it. Here's a good webpage for used car prices:-

http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesearch/default.asp

Good luck, we have now decided it isn't worth it for us but it's up to you, I hope this helps you make a decsion.

Sasha
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:37 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Bertrum
Hi,

Check out www.customs.gov.au and follow the appropriate links. From what i can gather on certain cars its still a significant saving importing them from the UK than buying in Aus but they do hit you hard.

e.g £10000 Car
£1500 Customs Duty at 15%
£1000 Transport & Ins ??

Add that up to equal the value of taxable income, therefore
£12500. Now take 10% of this sum to give you the Goods and Services Tax (GST) £1250.

So your total taxation is £1250(GST) + £1500(CD) = £2750

So in total to bring a £10k car in your looking at roughly £12750 plus transportation. £14k all in?

Please correct me anyone if thats wrong but thats how i read it.

But like you say European cars are so expensive especially when you look at the prestigious end of the market but if your car is worth more than $57009 they tax you even more!! Called a Luxury car tax so you could pay even more.

I have been looking at importing a Boxster and on a £25k car it will probably end up all in at £33k but will stay save me £7k + if i bring it over rather than buy one in Aus, so just have to work out your sums!!

Hope this helps.

Rob

I've resigned myself to the fact it's just not worth it and boy it's painful. I have a love affair going with my car, it's a Merc C- Class Sports Coupe (Kompressor) bought it from new for my birthday last year.
It is going to break my heart to sell it, I know I'm a shallow cow, but I truely love the car.

It would cost me approx £8,000 in tax and transport to take it, which I could only narrowly justify with Mr B. I might just get away with it had I not been informed that as it's a European spec I would have to have the dashboard changed, the headlights may not be Oz regulations, the servicing and parts would seriously remove food from our table and re-sale value would be nil !!.
So all in all really don't think my baby can come with me (where's the little sad blue face when you need it).
And to top it all, I'll probably never own one again as they are hellishly expensive out there.

Have to make do with it as a screen saver - how sad is that?

Jill

Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I've resigned myself to the fact it's just not worth it and boy it's painful. I have a love affair going with my car, it's a Merc C- Class Sports Coupe (Kompressor) bought it from new for my birthday last year.
It is going to break my heart to sell it, I know I'm a shallow cow, but I truely love the car.

It would cost me approx £8,000 in tax and transport to take it, which I could only narrowly justify with Mr B. I might just get away with it had I not been informed that as it's a European spec I would have to have the dashboard changed, the headlights may not be Oz regulations, the servicing and parts would seriously remove food from our table and re-sale value would be nil !!.
So all in all really don't think my baby can come with me (where's the little sad blue face when you need it).
And to top it all, I'll probably never own one again as they are hellishly expensive out there.

Hi Jill,

We have the same love affair with our LR, although we have only owned it since Dec, we had another LA before that, but like you I think we have now resigned ourselves to selling our beauty, if, or when we get a visa. I have just resigned from MercedesBenz, so I can sort of sympathise with you!!

Sally

Have to make do with it as a screen saver - how sad is that?

Jill