exactly who can certify docs?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Gox_Ala_Ky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exactly who can certify docs?

Hi,

I'v noticed from a few threads on here that most people talk of a solicitor certifying documents, is it only solicitors that can do this?
The reason i ask is that i am a police office and i am able to certify photo's etc for passports for others, also friends/family members are registered nurses/doctors and they are also able to do so...would these types of people in these occupations be able to certify our docs when the time comes or must it be a solicitor?

Thanx.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:24 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Default Re: exactly who can certify docs?

Originally Posted by Gox_Ala_Ky
Hi,

I'v noticed from a few threads on here that most people talk of a solicitor certifying documents, is it only solicitors that can do this?
The reason i ask is that i am a police office and i am able to certify photo's etc for passports for others, also friends/family members are registered nurses/doctors and they are also able to do so...would these types of people in these occupations be able to certify our docs when the time comes or must it be a solicitor?

Thanx.
Hi,

I believe from on here and various official instructions etc, that most 'officials' can certify. In some instances where it has to be a person who knows you and is registered like you say as a nurse, teacher, police officer etc. Some solicitors I spoke to said they wouldn't do them as they didn't know. Others were happy to certify. Then there is Notorising, which I believe is something slightly different but I do not know why!!

I'm getting a solicitor to do it purely for peace of mind. I don't want anything to hold my visa up as I am on a tight deadline to start work 2nd Feb. If it's not so important that yours goes through immediately without them querying anything, then I think it's worth a go if it saves some pennies and time.

lerato
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

zoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nicezoeNpaul is just really nice

Hi i was just going to post this question as i am a midwife and had all my docs singned by another midwife they were all sent back saying this was not the right person to sign the docs so I then got another midwife who is also a magistrate to sign them for me as it does say on the info from the anmc they can sign but i found it very difficult to understand who can and who cant and a lot of the people on there who can sign ur docs are from Oz

If anyone else has any ideas i would love to know as i have just sent the ANMC a email asking if all is well as its been quite a few months now waiting for them to get back to me with my registration
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If in the U.K., only a solicitor, JP, notary or Australian consular official is safe to use for DIAC purposes.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gox_Ala_Ky
Hi,

Thanx.
Police, nurses, doctors, teachers are fine for signing statutory declarations or passport forms but it MUST be a solicitor, JP, notary or Australian consular official for certifying documents. There's a list on the website somewhere........
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:55 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Police, nurses, doctors, teachers are fine for signing statutory declarations or passport forms but it MUST be a solicitor, JP, notary or Australian consular official for certifying documents. There's a list on the website somewhere........
Interesting thread - answered many times in the past if you've got access to the search function. I just wanted to note that there is absolutely no difference between those authorised to certify copies and those authorised to witness statutory declarations.

Otherwise it's safest these days to go by the instructions of the agency receiving your paperwork, since all the skill assessment bodies except one lie outside the Australian government and make their own rules, which you'll find on their website. The difference in requirements between the ICAA, ANMC, Engineers Australia, etc, are quite substantial but thankfully spelt out in most cases.

If the certifying is for lodging an application with the ASPC then I would strongly advise using a scanner and lodging electronically instead. If the certifying is for any other DIAC office use the particular office's instructions.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Gox_Ala_Ky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies, think i'll use a solicitor to be on the safe side...the process seems long enough without having to resend the docs certified by someone else.
Thanx again and good luck to all applying!

Alana
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Interesting thread - answered many times in the past if you've got access to the search function. I just wanted to note that there is absolutely no difference between those authorised to certify copies and those authorised to witness statutory declarations.

Otherwise it's safest these days to go by the instructions of the agency receiving your paperwork, since all the skill assessment bodies except one lie outside the Australian government and make their own rules, which you'll find on their website. The difference in requirements between the ICAA, ANMC, Engineers Australia, etc, are quite substantial but thankfully spelt out in most cases.

If the certifying is for lodging an application with the ASPC then I would strongly advise using a scanner and lodging electronically instead. If the certifying is for any other DIAC office use the particular office's instructions.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Sorry if my info was wrong. Am sure I found a pdf somewhere that stated this.