Wikiposts

ETA Clarification

Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Virginia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ETA Clarification

Does an ETA allow a visitor to spend up to a year in Australia as long as they leave every third month or may the visitor only stay a maximum of 3 months within a year?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all
Default Re: ETA Clarification

Originally Posted by Virginia
Does an ETA allow a visitor to spend up to a year in Australia as long as they leave every third month or may the visitor only stay a maximum of 3 months within a year?
The visa normally allows entry during a full year after grant, and a 3 months stay after each entry -meaning if you enter on the last day of entry (not wise!!) that you are allowed to stay a three months.

Please bear in mind that immigration sometimes interviews new arrivals upon their intent of their visit to Australia, and entry may refused at any time. Also some conditions may be attached to your visa.

Sylvia
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Virginia is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to be on the Department's radar. So, maybe it is better to get the ETA and then submit for an extended tourist visa if I would like to stay longer. Would that be a better option? I don't plan on working. However, my thinking is to take advantage being in that part of world when the opportunity is available.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Virginia
I don't want to be on the Department's radar. So, maybe it is better to get the ETA and then submit for an extended tourist visa if I would like to stay longer. Would that be a better option? I don't plan on working. However, my thinking is to take advantage being in that part of world when the opportunity is available.
I applied for a 676 Long Stay Visitor visa (12 months). It was granted for multiple entry, and within a year of the grant date I can enter and leave freely, upon each entry I am allowed to stay 12 months maximum.

Most important criterium for this visa is having sufficient funds, and being a genuine visitor. I am currently enjoying a sabbatical in Oz and I have traveled to NZ too.

Besides not allowed to work, my visa has conditions 8201 (max. 3 months study), 8205 (X-Ray if more than 4 weeks study and from certain countries) and 8503 (No Further Stay) attached. The last one is a nasty one as it prevents lodging for any substansive visa whilst IN Australia. So no renewals, extensions and no lodging of the GSM visa. I did lodge my visa application when I traveled to NZ tho.

Sylvia